It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why(to me) it doesn't matter if the Bible is the word of God

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 30 2009 @ 09:26 AM
link   
reply to post by karl 12

Here is a nice bit from George Carlin about the Ten Commandments:

Although George hits hard, what I like about him is that he seems to want to make people stop, take a breathe and think about stuff instead of just repeating them like a parrot. Dont agree with him in every topic, but I like his work.

[edit on 30-12-2009 by henriquefd]

posted on Dec, 30 2009 @ 09:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by fmcanarney

Sin
The Seven Deadly Sins

PRIDE: Unrestrained appreciation of our own worth.

The ability to look at your accomplishments, skills and potential and garner some happiness with your own self, rather than externalizing it and relying on someone/something to make you happy.

GREED: Immoderate desire for earthly goods.

A powerful motivating force that inspires you to work harder or smarter for personal or material gain or to accomplish something that someone has done that you feel you are capable of.

LUST: Hankering for impure pleasures.

The MOST powerful motivating force on earth. The driving force that keeps us in touch, more than anything else, with our animal nature (as we are still animals) and is the sole reason the human race is still around, for without lust, there is no desire to procreate (or engage in sex for the sake of enjoyment, another of life's wonderful gifts.)

ANGER: Inordinate desire for revenge.

The need to express our unhappiness with something, for if we internalize it and do not release it, we do ourselves great injury. Why, when we are slighted or wronged to such a degree, should we take it out on ourselves, when we have those who wronged us to take it out on? Fair is fair and if someone smites you on one cheek, smash them on theirs.

GLUTTONY: Unrestrained use of food and drink.
Indulgence over abstinence. Not denying yourself something that gives you pleasure just because you're told not to allow it.

ENVY: Sorrow over another's good fortune.

Another powerfully motivating emotion that drives us to accomplish things that others have done and to go above and beyond what we thought was the limit to our potential.

SLOTH: Laxity in keeping the Faith and the practice of virtue, due to the effort involved.

Taking rest when we desire to, for as long as we desire to. Acting on our own time, rather than someone else's. Who hasn't ever decided to spend their day off in bed, relaxing under their nice warm covers, hesitant to move else they disturb their well-deserved comfort and peace?

I find it gross and misleading that we are taught that there are many, innate, highly evolved emotions that have kept the human race alive and allowed it to flourish over the years are nothing but a detriment to 'faith' and 'god'. Nonsense! These emotions are part of what we are, and suppressing them makes us worse because there would be no outlet for, what can only be described as 'nature's recipe for success and happiness'. We are animals, fierce and proud like lions, but those who would subjugate you want you weak and dependent like...well...like sheep. This is unacceptable and we should celebrate our animalistic nature and rise up and feel what we feel naturally and act how we act naturally! Be true to whom you are, be true to yourself! We are alive, so live!

[edit on 12/30/09 by Matthew Dark]

[edit on 12/30/09 by Matthew Dark]

posted on Dec, 30 2009 @ 09:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by henriquefd
Hard to interpret words the way they were meant to be interpreted.

Meant by whom?
Again, you're personalizing a concept of a 'god' that's based on human logic and perception.

posted on Dec, 30 2009 @ 09:44 AM
link   
reply to post by henriquefd

Henriquefd -I love George Carlin and he is sorely missed.

You're spot on about him wanting people to actualy think for themselves instead of just mindlessly conforming to groupthink - heres an interesting cartoon dealing with the lack of critical thinking some people exhibit when dealing with organised religion.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/578449867821.jpg[/atsimg]

Cheers.

posted on Dec, 30 2009 @ 09:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by Matthew Dark

Originally posted by henriquefd
Hard to interpret words the way they were meant to be interpreted.

Meant by whom?
Again, you're personalizing a concept of a 'god' that's based on human logic and perception.

In the case of my text, meant by me. It was not my intention when writing my text to anthropomorphise god, but I can see that, even if that was not my intention, that it could be interpreted that way.

The reason I did it that way is because, according to the Apostolic Church, the bible was written by people under the influence of the Holy Spirit, which I described in my text as "god whispering your ear" what you are supposed to write.

Dont confuse that with what I believe. *I* dont believe the bible to be the word of god because I dont see god that way. Actually, it is hard to describe god because when we try to do so we are limiting god to the limits of language. So, no, I dont see god as an old man on the cloud. Yes, i can see how my text could give you the idea that I was talking about an anthropomorphic god. But that´s the best way I could find to try to express my ideas. I will just have to live with that, I guess. =P

And I never intented to be right or perfect in my logic, since I think that is impossible. I dont think we are capable of perfection, but that´s another topic.

posted on Dec, 30 2009 @ 10:18 AM
link   

The Bible was written over 6300 years. By 44 men most of whom never knew each other. There were 350 prophecies about Jesus. Each one was fulfilled. The Old Testament (covenant) was based on LAW and following law to achieve sanctification. The New Testament (covenant) is based on SPIRIT.

editing begins.

Having a Spirit in yourself that is Eager to understand, Attentive with Intense desire to understand, Trusting to gain the understanding, enables the Spirit of God to speak to your willing spirit and you will hear and read exactly what the Spirit of God imparts to you.

Trying to approach reading the Bible, the WORD of GOD with intellectual aspirations will leave you confused. Just like you taking a text book dealing with the subject of Calculus will render most confused. Reading with honest spiritual aspirations will satisfy the hungry heart.

The Law of One, which was channeled in the 1980s by a God-Like entity, has more credibility than the bible. The entity didn't riddle or hide the truth, he provided direct truth and understanding.

I didn't have to force myself to be desirous, this desirous yearning for more spiritual truth came from within. Reading with intelligent aspiration fulfilled my spiritual hunger.

[edit on 30-12-2009 by GrandKitaro777]

posted on Dec, 30 2009 @ 10:33 AM
link   
reply to post by fmcanarney

Why should we better ourselves (according to the bible OT god) to be all good nature....when even that god image acted in imperfect ways??

The OT God was very very prideful, which created his jealousy, he was greedy with his people, he was not patient, lost hope, and I might be wrong, but usually if there is jealousy, there is envy.

I Keep telling people, the OT god that led people in taking land and killing other men is not Thee Most High. Im not sure why humans are not getting this. Mabey its only when a human really starts to observe what they need to better and why, they can then look back at this carnal image of God and see this was not the perfect unseen one.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join