It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Political correctness or something more?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 30 2009 @ 04:04 AM
link   
Mods, please move if you feel it is not in the correct forum.

Is being politically correct more important than having an intelligent discussion?

I spend a lot of my time here and A.T.S. has always been about sifting through the "bad" to get to the "good". Everyone can have their say but the trend was toward intelligent conversations about interesting topics.

It seems that the trend is starting to lean the other way.

For example, a thread might be started with the O.P. going something like this:

i wuz thinkin tha utha day, if everythin is matter an matter is energy an energy is luv then everythin is luv an einstin wz wrong! Discuss

These threads seem to get lots of replies like: "Great idea, you're right! S & F for you!"

Is everyone under the assumption that the vast majority of people creating these threads are "disadvantaged"?

I recently came across one of these threads and I noticed, at that stage, there weren't many replies and after reading it a few times I just couldn't grasp what the O.P. was trying to say but I was curious nonetheless.

I suggested that if the O.P. take a little more time with spelling and grammar, they would probably get more responses (I also put forth my interpretation and asked if I was on the right track) .

Well that got plenty of replies! Suddenly the thread became centred around how spelling and grammar doesn't matter.

I had felt that the O.P. had something to say but had just applied the absolute minimum effort in saying it.

On the other end of the scale, often (not always of course!) when a thread is started by someone who has made the effort but may not be correct in the details gets immediately shot down.

Is the assumpion that the latter group are "normal" so it's OK to attack them?

Is this a move by unscrupulous characters to taint the overall credibility of A.T.S.?

posted on Dec, 30 2009 @ 04:10 AM
link   
reply to post by OZtracized

My rant about PC is this:

If someone should be poltically correct, then everyone should be politically correct, right?

Wrong! Where I live, a lot of people are expected to be politically correct, and a few people are allowed to be politically incorrect - and they are.

Political correctness = lies.

Political incorrectness = truth.

Therefore, ban PC, let's get to the truth!

posted on Dec, 30 2009 @ 04:30 AM
link   
Meh... you post as seriously as you want to be taken.

Why should I take the time to consider what you have to say if you cannot take the time to type it out with proper diction and syntax.

posted on Dec, 30 2009 @ 05:03 AM
link   
reply to post by TaraLou

I've been waiting for the onslaught for this post but I said what I had to say.

I'm glad it didn't start with the first reply.

posted on Dec, 30 2009 @ 05:08 AM
link   

Ugh!

I have starred and flagged u now!

Didin't really believe what you said til we sore the proof mon!

JK lol.

posted on Dec, 30 2009 @ 05:32 AM
link   
Not everybody has english as their 1st language and most translator software makes mistakes to some degree.
As long as the post is intelligible and you can make sense of it, I don't really see the problem.
i agree though that some people who do have english as their 1st language could take more time and care over their posts, if they want their point of view to be taken seriously.
As for PC it's gone mad, there is as usual a good reason for some of it as nobody should be insulted over race/religion....... but discussion should be allowed and not have certain subjects more or less taboo.

Apologies for any grammatical/spelling/punctuation errors

posted on Dec, 30 2009 @ 06:52 AM
link   
reply to post by johnb

I agree.

I would say that a lot of people here do not have English as their first language.

I'm not at all bothered by low/medium spelling and grammatical mistakes, the important thing is that the "gist" of the post is understood. When extreme "txt shrthnd" is used to a point where the post is very difficult to understand, then it becomes a problem.

posted on Dec, 30 2009 @ 06:59 AM
link   
Anyone that can turn the computer on, type in the web address , sign in to the sight and read should be able to put enough effort into a post to make it at least understandable in my opinion. I determine if I'm going to read or participate in a post based on the first impression given. We all make grammar/typo/spelling mistakes, etc...but at least try to express your point so that the rest of us can grasp it.

As for political correctness I think it is a poison that hampers any real progress towards equality. Simple concepts like good manners and consideration could be substituted in its place with much better results.

My opinions.

posted on Dec, 30 2009 @ 07:13 AM
link   
reply to post by Clark Savage Jr.

Thank you.

What you said in your first paragraph is mostly what I was trying to say. Also, don't attack those who have made the effort but may not be 100% correct on the facts.

Actually the second paragraph is on the money too.

[edit on 30-12-2009 by OZtracized]

posted on Dec, 30 2009 @ 07:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by TaraLou

Political correctness = lies.

Political incorrectness = truth.

Therefore, ban PC, let's get to the truth!

Dude, I was going to post just that! Being politically correct has a new meaning nowadays. I would rather be politically incorrect. Sounds more ethical!

posted on Dec, 30 2009 @ 07:46 AM
link   

I have starred and flagged you!
Political correctness is going to slowly destroy the fabric of free thinking and speech.I am in my mid-fifties,it is very difficult for me to be politically
correct.People,today,are so easily offended and really need to get a backbone and thicker skin.All these people do now is cry, you hurt my feelings,I'm offended,you talk to me with respect...
Well,it is difficult to be respectful to some people when they don't respect you back.I had one girl demand that I talk to her with respect.Hello,I was
old enough to be her mom and I needed to show her respect?
Because of the time I grew up in,I learned to deal with the name calling,
rudeness,redicule.These situations don't bother me a bit,I'm a big girl and
I can take it.

posted on Dec, 30 2009 @ 07:50 AM
link   
reply to post by henriquefd

YES!!!

Someone who realises this fact!

Thank you.

posted on Dec, 30 2009 @ 07:55 AM
link   

Duh, I B gibbin yous a stare. I cud figger out whut U ment.

Great OP. I get annoyed at spelling, syntax, and grammatical errors. I usually don't bother to say anything. Thanks for doing that for me!

posted on Dec, 30 2009 @ 08:03 AM
link   
Surely it's good we no longer use certain words to describe people. Polical correctness, has improved the lives of countless people, people who used to suffer. I'm talking ethnic minorities, homosexuals, women and the disabled. At worst it's institutionalised politeness

posted on Dec, 30 2009 @ 08:26 AM
link   
reply to post by woodwardjnr

I'd have to disagree there. Politeness one sided is still rudeness. The same groups being "helped" by political correctness still often times use the same terms themselves. Name calling is never appropriate, and rather childish I think, yet people having a "special" status, tend to use political correctness, to further their own agenda with the threat of "labeling" someone something. Political correctness and entitlements are going to be the end of this country.

new topics

top topics

join