It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Retirees Flock to Mexico for the Sun and the Health Care

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 29 2009 @ 09:00 PM
link   

Retirees Flock to Mexico for the Sun and the Health Care

www.pbs.org

Thousands of Americans are increasingly traveling to resort towns like Puerto Vallarta, in Mexico, not for vacation, but for the cheap health care. In many cases, reports Ray Suarez, for care they couldn't afford in the United States.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Dec, 29 2009 @ 09:01 PM
link   
"Illegal aliens" get cheap healthcare intended only for citizens. Only the country is Mexico, and the "aliens" are coming from US.

i found this on reddit. and although i'm not really affected by this news, i just wanted to bring this to the attention of my fellow ats members who are in the US. is this happening in your area? or do you know people who have gone across the border to enjoy the relatively cheaper healthcare there rather than spend their money in the US?

www.pbs.org
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Dec, 29 2009 @ 09:54 PM
link   
Thank you for that. I think a lot of us are going to be looking at medical tourism in the future...would be great to take a vacation in Puerte Vallarta too! I've said this before but I don't think the US is going to like people who are very, very expensive to insure - especially those with pre-existing conditions and those who are 50 - 64 years old leaving this country for health care and taking all their money and not coming back.

posted on Feb, 3 2010 @ 07:24 AM
link   
reply to post by toreishi

This is no suprize to me since my parents go to mexico to get cheap dental work as well. Someday more people will move to Mexico for not just cheap medicare but for others things as well.

$&F for waking up.

posted on Feb, 3 2010 @ 07:53 AM
link   

These God Dammit Immigrantsssss.. They are bloody Everywhere

Just kidding, I think that soon the tables will be turning and the hypocrites will hate themselves for being hypocrites!

Also, don't mean to derail but it's also interesting:

Seoul:

Citizens of Right Education has taken it upon itself to rid the country of foreign, unqualified English teachers. The group now has more than 17,000 members. Many of the more than 22,000 English teachers in South Korea find the movement disturbing, and say they are coming up against racism in their adopted home.

Racism hasn’t been a huge issue for South Korea in the past. But as the country continues to climb the economic ladder, the presence of foreigners is growing — as is the multitude of cultural problems that come along with them. The number of migrant workers, English teachers and bi-racial marriages is on the rise, with the total number of registered foreigners in South Korea at more than 854,000 in 2008 — nearly double the roughly 437,000 from five years ago, according to the Korean Statistical Information Service.
www.globalpost.com...

[edit on 3-2-2010 by ModernAcademia]

posted on Feb, 3 2010 @ 08:21 AM
link   
How sad is the healthcare situation in the US? It should be extremely embarassing to a country that its citizens are traveling elsewhere to afford healthcare. Especially a country that is regarded as the most powerful, wealthiest and overall greatest country in the world.

posted on Feb, 3 2010 @ 08:59 AM
link   
I have had a few relatives that have headed south of the border for cancer treatments. Not because of the prices here but because there actually IS a cure. It's just not allowed in the American medical system because cancer is too profitable. So they head south.

posted on Feb, 3 2010 @ 09:39 AM
link   
My cousin moved to Puerto Vallarta because it is cheaper to live there, and plus it is all tropical. Ended up marrying a local. Having been there to visit I would say that place has got to be the nicest in Mexico.

Love Puerto Vallarta

posted on Feb, 3 2010 @ 11:25 AM
link   
First the Americans in Mexico are NOT illegal.
Second the are paying for their healthcare.
It isn't even close to a comparison.

respectfuly

reluctantpawnl

posted on Feb, 3 2010 @ 11:38 AM
link   
reply to post by AshleyD

Can you elaborate on this cure you mentioned?

My mother passed recently from a 4 year battle and tried just about everything she could have.

posted on Feb, 3 2010 @ 11:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by reluctantpawn
First the Americans in Mexico are NOT illegal.

Your right, they are probably on travel visa's

Second the are paying for their healthcare.
It isn't even close to a comparison.

How do you figure?
Do not many American citizens pay into insurance programs, and therefor, pay for medical attention? Do not many of those plans fall horrendously short, forcing the policy holder to pay out of pocket, or simply not get the treatment? Further, are there not millions of uninsured Americans who cannot afford coverage, or the expenses of a hostpital bill or treatment?

posted on Feb, 3 2010 @ 11:50 AM
link   
reply to post by toreishi

Please clarify why they are "Illegal"

I think that there are a number of countries that offer health care trips for people who cannot afford the same procedures in their home county. That is just business. There is nothing "Illegal" about it.

They people traveling to Mexico for surgery are not sneaking into Mexico and they having Mexican taxpayers pick up the tab.

Nice try!

posted on Feb, 3 2010 @ 11:50 AM
link   
If you cannot afford insurance I don't think you can afford to travel to Mexico.
If you are a foreigner in Mexico you become responsible for all debts incurred.
Mexico is not as liberal as the U.S. in terms of social services.

respectfully

reluctantpawn

posted on Feb, 3 2010 @ 11:53 AM
link   
reply to post by reluctantpawn

Many dont qualify for healthcare, but may be able to afford to travel to mexico. Unique situations for all.

I still dont see how "It isn't even close to a comparison"

posted on Feb, 3 2010 @ 12:20 PM
link   
reply to post by InSpiteOf

1. They are there with the governments blessing.

2. They spend there money there.

3. They are not looking for work.

4. The per capita earnings are higher than the the majority of the populace

5. They do not import illegal drugs or street gangs

6. The do not want Mexico as part of the U.S. [AZTLAN]

7. They contribute to the economy and social services.

8. They create jobs for the locals

respectfully

reluctantpawn

posted on Feb, 3 2010 @ 12:23 PM
link   

Many times, insurance will not cover a pre-existing condition.

So, you could find yourself with a major expense, even though you have health insurance.

So, you end up making the decision to travel to have your hip replaced. It's called medical tourism.

posted on Feb, 3 2010 @ 12:25 PM
link   
reply to post by InSpiteOf

chemo.net...

In the very last paragraph, you'll see it states that it is not available in the United States. It has something like a 75% success rate for those who have been terminally diagnosed in the U.S.

Two of my aunts have already done it and they were cured where they were terminally diagnosed. My mother in law went through the treatments a few years ago. The father of one of my husband's best friends is going back and forth now for treatments. They had him on chemo here but it was killing him. He went there and he's making a recovery.

Although the website is named 'chemo.net' it has nothing to do with chemo. They just use it because they know US citizens will be doing searches for chemo thinking that's their best bet for against cancer.

posted on Feb, 3 2010 @ 12:29 PM
link   
reply to post by Wildbob77

yes, medical tourism is not the same as illegal immigration.

It cannot be compared to illegal immigration as the OP stated.

respectfully

reluctantpawn

posted on Feb, 3 2010 @ 02:29 PM
link   

thanks for the clarification. It was not clear in your initial post that you were taking issue with the "illegal immigrants" part of the thread

posted on Feb, 3 2010 @ 03:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by toreishi
is this happening in your area? or do you know people who have gone across the border to enjoy the relatively cheaper healthcare there rather than spend their money in the US?

Absolutely. People here cross the border all the time for prescriptions and other health care. It's legal, though, as far as I know.

[edit on 3-2-2010 by Benevolent Heretic]

top topics

join