It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Intelligent Design Theory is an attempt to Seize Control of Christianity

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 29 2009 @ 02:37 PM
link   
Intelligent design theory was created by German Rocket Scientist Wernher von Braun in 1972

I always wondered where the theory came from. Now we know.

The theory appears to be an attempt to mix science and god into a single belief as an attempt to counter the scientific theory of evolution which is a theory devoid of the biblical god.

Von Braun, a life-long Lutheran, was a believer in intelligent design in the Universe long before it became a catch phrase and a lightning rod of debate.

“For me, the idea of a creation is not conceivable without invoking the necessity of design,” he wrote in a letter to the California State Board of Education in September 1972. He added, “It is in scientific honesty that I endorse the presentation of alternative theories for the origin of the universe, life and man in the science classroom. It would be an error to overlook the possibility that the universe was planned rather than happening by chance.”

While von Braun was careful to use the word theory with regard to the creation of the universe, in his mind there was no conflict or debate. The ability of Earth to sustain intelligent life, which in turn was capable of creating machines designed to explore the Moon and the planets was clear evidence to von Braun that man and his universe were the creation of God.

www.thespacereview.com...

[edit on 29-12-2009 by In nothing we trust]

posted on Dec, 29 2009 @ 03:04 PM
link   
reply to post by In nothing we trust

Really? That's news to me and to intelligent design itself.

The concept of intelligent design originated in response to the 1987 United States Supreme Court Edwards v. Aguillard ruling involving separation of church and state.[4] Its first significant published use was in Of Pandas and People, a 1989 textbook intended for high-school biology classes.[21] Several additional books on the subject were published in the 1990s. By the mid-1990s, intelligent design proponents had begun clustering around the Discovery Institute and more publicly advocating the inclusion of intelligent design in public school curricula.[22] With the Discovery Institute and its Center for Science and Culture serving a central role in planning and funding, the "intelligent design movement" grew increasingly visible in the late 1990s and early 2000s, culminating in the 2005 Dover trial which challenged the intended use of intelligent design in public school science classes.[7]
source

posted on Dec, 29 2009 @ 03:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by sirnex

Really? That's news to me and to intelligent design itself.

The concept of intelligent design originated in response to the 1987 United States Supreme Court Edwards v. Aguillard ruling involving separation of church and state.[4] Its first significant published use was in Of Pandas and People, a 1989 textbook intended for high-school biology classes.[21] Several additional books on the subject were published in the 1990s. By the mid-1990s, intelligent design proponents had begun clustering around the Discovery Institute and more publicly advocating the inclusion of intelligent design in public school curricula.[22] With the Discovery Institute and its Center for Science and Culture serving a central role in planning and funding, the "intelligent design movement" grew increasingly visible in the late 1990s and early 2000s, culminating in the 2005 Dover trial which challenged the intended use of intelligent design in public school science classes.[7]
source

If you keep digging you'll find the thoery orginates with Wernher von Braun

Dallas Morning News - NewsBank - Mar 10, 1989
If he and Dr. von Braun have the same concept of honesty, I hope he's right. ... But wouldn't teaching intelligent design to public school students violate ...

news.google.com...< br />

It is in scientific honesty that I endorse the presentation of alternative theories for the origin of the universe, life and man in the science classroom.'

-- The late National Aeronautics and Space Administration scientist Wernher von Braun.
In an article about the proposal before the Texas Board of Education to require biology textbooks to include sections teaching evolution, a vocal promoter of evolution was quoted as saying, "It would be . . . a

nl.newsbank.com... _direct-0=document_id&p_perpage=10&p_sort=YMD_date
&s_trackval=GooglePM

posted on Dec, 29 2009 @ 03:41 PM
link   
It's obvious that Intelligent design is an attempt to take control over American Christianity by subversive means.

Intelligent design is the assertion that "certain features of the universe and of living things are best explained by an intelligent cause ...

It is a modern form of the traditional teleological argument for the existence of God, but one which avoids specifying the nature or identity of the designer.

en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Dec, 29 2009 @ 04:46 PM
link   
Without Intelligent design ( Because intelligent design really is synonymous with creation) the whole of christianity falls apart. What is the point of a god? Smite our enemies? Give us mana? Refuse to proved by scientific inquiry?

posted on Dec, 29 2009 @ 06:14 PM
link   

That's pretty piss poor digging if you ask me.

He died before the term was ever coined or the idea was ever conceived of. Look at your two quotes there, neither even state intelligent design nor it originating from him. And cute way to change the title of the thread to not reflect the erroneous information given. Even your first article doesn't even state that he created it, only that he believed in it.

posted on Dec, 29 2009 @ 06:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by sirnex

That's pretty piss poor digging if you ask me.

He died before the term was ever coined or the idea was ever conceived of.

Perhaps he didn't coin the exact phrase, "Intelligent Design". Certainly though the idea orginated with von braun.

It seems to me that intelligent design took on a life of it's own after von braun died.

Wernher von Braun - 23 March 1912 – 16 June 1977

On Intelligent Design

“For me the idea of a creation is not conceivable without
invoking the necessity of design. One cannot be exposed
to the law and order of the universe without concluding
that there must be design and purpose behind it all. In the
world around us, we can behold the obvious
manifestations of an ordered, structured plan or design.
We can see the will of the species to live and
propagate….the better we understand the intricacies of the
universe and all it harbors, the more reason we have found
to marvel at the inherent design upon which it is based.”

Letter to California State Board of Education, John Ford, 1974.

www.acgr.org...

Wernher von Braun

More on Intelligent Design

“I have discussed the aspect of a Designer at some length because it might be that the
primary resistance to acknowledging the “Case for Design” as a viable scientific
alternative to the current “Case for Chance” lies in the inconceivability, in some
scientists’ minds, of a Designer. The inconceivability of some ultimate issue (which
will always lie outside scientific resolution) should be allowed to rule out any
theory that explains the interrelationship of observed data and is useful for
prediction…Many men who are intelligent and of good faith say that they cannot
visualize a Designer. Well, can a physicist visualize an electron? The electron is
materially inconceivable and yet, it is so perfectly known through its effects that
we use it to illuminate our cities…What strange rationale makes some physicists
accept the inconceivable electron as real while refusing to accept the reality of a
Designer on the ground that they cannot conceive Him? I am afraid that, although
they really do not understand the electron either, they are ready to accept it,
because they managed to produce a rather clumsy mechanical model of it
borrowed from rather limited experience in other fields…”

Seagraves, K., Jesus Christ Creator, 1973, San Diego, Ca, Creation-Science Research
Center.

www.acgr.org...

posted on Dec, 29 2009 @ 07:16 PM
link   

Von Braun was an amazing individual. He knew what was up.(pun?)
What he was saying back then was ,that he was opposed to the view of random mutation .
He was correct as you see very little of that Communistic mentality in science today.

posted on Dec, 29 2009 @ 07:34 PM
link   
Really? And here i've been told (by supercilious atheists mostly) it was supposed to just close of scientific inquiry by saying "GOD DID IT!" Even though that is total BS.

posted on Dec, 29 2009 @ 08:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by DeathShield
Really? And here i've been told (by supercilious atheists mostly) it was supposed to just close of scientific inquiry by saying "GOD DID IT!" Even though that is total BS.

Different strokes for different folks.
It is really stupid this creation vs science.
It is all totally just one ball of wax.
Kinda like a marriage.

[edit on 29-12-2009 by Donny 4 million]

new topics

top topics

join