It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A Missing Piece of Stonehenge Found?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 29 2009 @ 02:20 PM
link   
I ran a search and couldn't find anything on this.
A Missing Piece of Stonehenge Found?

A missing stone that was probably an important part of the ancient rituals that took place at Stonehenge has been discovered by a Welsh archaeologist, reports the Western Mail, the national newspaper of Wales.

Now, it's not conclusive obviously.
Best they can come up with, is it looks like the altar stone.
I knew reading about the stones as a kid that reconstruction had gone on with them, as pieces had fallen over time, or been removed.
The Wikipedia link has a before and after pic of the site following the reconstruction.
I have a small model of stonehenge on my dead here at work.

Makes me wonder what has happened to the other rocks that were removed, what they may have been incorporated into.

posted on Dec, 29 2009 @ 02:28 PM
link   
Cool! In answer as to where, probably quite a few church's, in addition to the bridges they mention in the articles. Such a shame so much of Stonehenge has been moved and/or lost.

posted on Dec, 29 2009 @ 03:20 PM
link   
reply to post by RuneSpider

Hmmm, interesting!

So they reckon it's part of a supposed altar..
Makes me wonder what would have taken place upon such an altar. Offerings to the sun or moon?
Would help if the conflicting theories as to whether it was a solar or lunar calendar could be settled.. Or even that it was a transition between both because of agriculture..

I'm rambling..
Pretty sure it wasn't blood offerings though.

posted on Dec, 29 2009 @ 03:34 PM
link   
reply to post by purehughness

Never know, the druids practices human and animal sacrifices, so it's a possibility. There is a history of human sacrifice in the area.

posted on Dec, 29 2009 @ 03:40 PM
link   

Someone stole it!

Why would someone steal the altar stone?Price says it was once a common and well-documented practice to take the Stonehenge rocks when needed for constructing bridges. "On the balance of probabilities, there can be little doubt that Inigo Jones's fabled and once-lost altar stone from Stonehenge now stands in two pieces in a nearby village either side of a small lane, in plain view of anyone who wishes to inspect them," Price insisted to the Western Mail. "There can also be little if any doubt that our ancestors went to great pains to select this stone and to transport it from either Dorset or the Cotswolds to Stonehenge, where it formed an integral part of the ancient observances and ceremonies there over 4,000 years ago."

Source

I'd like to think they "recycled" Stonehenge. In a bridge.

posted on Dec, 29 2009 @ 03:44 PM
link   
I have not read in to all the theorys and storys about the Stonehenge but could it be that they were all placed to make a symbol of some kind like the nazca lines, but we stone were lost and moved ?

Sorry if its abit off topic but this extra stone is a great find if its part of stonehenge.

posted on Dec, 29 2009 @ 04:29 PM
link   
reply to post by thecrow001

No, they've done extensive digs in the area, and the soil tiself gives clues to how it looked.
They know there were other stones, and that some stones were moved there from a smaller circle.

They've also found that there was a wooden building built over it.

posted on Dec, 29 2009 @ 04:56 PM
link   

thanks, you got any links on theorys about this site. Thanks for the additonal information.

2nd line rule sorry.

[edit on 29-12-2009 by thecrow001]

[edit on 29-12-2009 by thecrow001]

posted on Dec, 30 2009 @ 08:28 AM
link   
reply to post by thecrow001

Let's see what I can dig up!
Interactive site with displays of Stonehenge:
www.stonehenge.tv...

Wiki has a page about Stonehenge theories, best to look at the links for the article.
en.wikipedia.org...

new topics

top topics

join