It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I wonder what (if anything) it takes?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 29 2009 @ 01:57 AM
link   
I assume most here are familiar with the 'boil a frog' experiment. Basically you can put a frog in a pot of water and slowly heat, the frog never notices and stays put until its too late.
I look at the change in America (and other parts of the world) of the last few ears and see a slowly rising temperature, well actually eroding freedom.
A year ago (yes it was only a year) the first 'bail out' bill came up in congress, Bush was still president, and I watched and thought -
surely this will not pass, its nuts!!!
I wrote the usual e-mails along with so many others and of course it still passed. I really couldn't believe it, I was horrified. Can any of you recall that time? Now here we are a bare year later and more big spending in nutty ways goes thru congress all the time and we barely blink an eye.
The people express their dislike/disapproval of all sorts of things and are soundly ignored. things happen to 'expose' the agenda like the climategate mail and programs, it is ignored.
Ponder for a moment all the changes of the last year.
Would you have believed it a year ago?
Will all the freedom be gone before people notice the heat has been turned up?

posted on Dec, 29 2009 @ 02:47 AM
link   
people will only notice the freedoms are missing once the cable tv is shut off and thier SUVs are banned and the super market no longer sells pre-cooked dinners.

its called bread and circus. we are not the first nation to use it to appease the people as they fell into a spinning cycle of self destruction.

check out rome.

posted on Dec, 29 2009 @ 02:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by wx4caster

check out rome.

But I could argue that Rome never truly fell at all. But rather shape shifted into other forms, such as the Vatican, in order to maintain it's grip on power.

And that essentially modern society today , is nothing more than a continuation or a new development of that same Roman Empire.

In other words, this IS ROME still.

posted on Dec, 29 2009 @ 03:10 AM
link   
Indeed more Rome, more bread and circus. I guess what bothers me most is that in the days of Rome you could vote with your feet, there were other places in the world. These days the global nature of it pretty much leaves those of us who have noticed no place to run.
The frog pot is now the whole ocean.

posted on Dec, 29 2009 @ 04:35 AM
link   
Change it then, people. Don't play their game. You don't have to give up anything. Simply behave as though they are still intact. When enough people do this, know this, live this, all will be as you will it to be. And that too is the key here: you all have created this situation by signing your lives over to the government because you can't be bothered to take care of things yourselves. You were too busy watching the game or the show or the neighbors. Get back into *your* lives. Mind your *own* life. Strongly encourage others to do the same. It will spread. Just plant the seed.

posted on Dec, 29 2009 @ 04:53 AM
link   
reply to post by CosmicEgg

Its a good theory. But I just don't see it working. How will you take care of your 'own' life when you can't buy the food you want or see the doctor or take an airplane? At some point it gets beyond anything that an individual can respond to.

posted on Dec, 29 2009 @ 05:14 AM
link   
reply to post by Chett

No, it's exactly the individual that must make the changes. You can't fly? Well, no one flies. Or not enough people. No one buys food. No one pays bills. No one goes to the doctor. You would be amazed what happens when you stand up for yourself.

posted on Dec, 29 2009 @ 05:20 AM
link   
reply to post by CosmicEgg

Again, not really. I been doing and standing on mine own like that for years. Hasn't made one bit of difference in the march to doom that seems to be going on.
In fact most of what I see going on has yet to effect me with any sort of directness ...well maybe a bit. When I fly I make sure I don't use US flag carriers or US airspace

The fact that I personally have managed to avoid most of what I see happening does not make me care less about it, there are days when I read the news and cry.

top topics

join