It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Could underwater cities become reality

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 28 2009 @ 10:44 PM
link   
I found this to be fascinating and considering it is a world first, I thought perhaps ATS'ers would be interested
The action starts at 1:30.

Scientists witness underwater volcanic eruption for the first time.

For the first time scientists have seen molten lava flowing from a deep-ocean seafloor volcano, exploding into 35 foot long streams of red and gold and rising as bubbles as much as 3 feet across. The expedition to West Mata volcano, near American Samoa, was led by UW Oceanographer, Joe Resing. posted to youtube by uwhuskies
Courtesy of National Science Foundation and National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration

It occurred to me, that if we could harness some of this energy, mankind could have an inexhaustible source of power.

These underwater events appear to happen all the time in different regions.

I was thinking that if something could be added to the water around the eruption causing a bubble that sealed itself off with the intense heat, then that energy could be harvested by tapping into the bubble or pod, something that couldn't be achieved with surface volcanoes.

Although it would be difficult to cap such an event and I realize it would be an enormous challenge, the payoff could be immeasurable.

Taking it a step further, these energy pods could become the source of energy for underwater cities. Cities beneath the waves that could use the motion of the oceans as another source of energy and create a closed loop system that utilizes sink holes to return waste back into the earth to incinerate and provide more energy.

Considering that 71% of the planet is underwater, it would seem sensible to explore the possibility of using this space for human habitation.

How much easier it would be to manage fish farms, in a sustainable way.

I have started a list of possible benefits of such as scheme, please feel free to explore your imagination and add your ideas

The following list of necessities for an underwater city could be provided by thermal energy.

Desalination systems.

Food supplies by creating underwater farming.

Underwater lighting to enable photosynthesis

-------------------------------------------------
Population crisis, what population crisis.

[edit on 28-12-2009 by kennyb72]

[edit on 28-12-2009 by kennyb72]

posted on Dec, 28 2009 @ 10:56 PM
link   
reply to post by kennyb72

No thanks. I'll take a floating city in the clouds.
Think Star Wars : Empire Strikes Back

posted on Dec, 28 2009 @ 11:22 PM
link   
reply to post by Eurisko2012

I like that idea too, but we would need to master anti-gravity first, plus you wouldn't be protected from cosmic radiation to the same degree.

posted on Dec, 28 2009 @ 11:26 PM
link   
I think underwater cities are inevitable. It's good practice for when we create dome cities on other planets... especially one that may have a higher atmospheric pressure.

IRM

[edit on 28/12/09 by InfaRedMan]

posted on Dec, 28 2009 @ 11:51 PM
link   
reply to post by InfaRedMan

That is a very good point InfaRedMan.

Particularly if geothermal energy could be used to blow gigantic bubbles using some polycarbonate and silicon type compound to build the domes. We could apply the same technology on the planets or moons we would like to build bases on.

We could practice building them under the ocean first.

posted on Dec, 29 2009 @ 01:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by kennyb72

I like that idea too, but we would need to master anti-gravity first, plus you wouldn't be protected from cosmic radiation to the same degree.

-----------------------------------------------------------
Mastering anti-gravity was completed back in the 1950s.
That was easy.
All MJ-12 did was reverse engineer the gravity wave caterpillar drive
in the bottom section of the spacecraft that crashed in New Mexico
July 1947.
------------------------------------------------------------
The hard part was mastering the small matter/antimatter reactor.
We figured that out also. It took us a little longer.
------------------------------------------------------------
Cosmic radiation? Are you referring to the solar wind?
We got that figured out also.
All we are doing is copying what has already been done by
advanced aliens. We are basically just cheating.

---------------------------------------------------------------
As far as the floating city in the sky, all you need is a gyro
for stabilization and artifical gravity wave generators
pointing straight down 180 degrees out of phase of the
Earths natural gravity wave. Add a few more bells and
whistles and you could have an orbiting space station.
--------------------------------------------------------------

[edit on 29-12-2009 by Eurisko2012]

posted on Dec, 29 2009 @ 01:22 AM
link   

Hi Eurisko2012,
This is a bit off topic, but I find it incredibly interesting what you are saying.
Have you started a thread on this so I can read more, or perhaps you could start one.

You seem to know a lot about this and I would like to know if any of these claims are verifiable.

posted on Dec, 29 2009 @ 06:44 AM
link   
Could we get underwater cities?
I don't see why not-and they could be powered from wave energy maybe.
You will soon be able to stay in underwater hotels:

Currently under construction in Dubai, Hydropolis will be the world's first luxury underwater hotel. It will include three elements: the land station, where guests will be welcomed, the connecting tunnel, which will transport people by train to the main area of the hotel, and the 220 suites within the submarine leisure complex. It is one of the largest contemporary construction projects in the world, covering an area of 260 hectares, about the size of London's Hyde Park. "Hydropolis is not a project; it's a passion," enthuses Joachim Hauser, the developer and designer of the hotel. His futuristic vision is about to take shape 20m below the surface of the Persian Gulf, just off the Jumeirah Beach coastline in Dubai.

www.designbuild-network.com...

You could maybe even find a method of extracting oxygen from the water,to breathe,or use as a power source.

More pics here:
images.google.co.uk...:en-GB
fficial&client=firefox-a&um=1&ie=UTF-8&ei=Yfg5S4H8N8H84Aa-yvypCA& sa=X&oi=image_result_group&ct=title&resnum=1&ved=0CBMQsAQwAA

posted on Dec, 29 2009 @ 03:52 PM
link   
reply to post by Silcone Synapse

I don't see why not-and they could be powered from wave energy maybe. You will soon be able to stay in underwater hotels:

Wow, that is actually very impressive, I hope they do build it, what with the financial problems they are experiencing. This sort of thing is definitely a step in the right direction. I think a whole city may be more of a challenge though.

Not that I am one of those who subscribe to anthropogenic global warming but underwater cities could provide a possible solution for mankind if it where to eventuate.

posted on Dec, 30 2009 @ 01:48 PM
link   
As a diver, I'd love the chance to live underwater.

While they are not cities, here are some very cool looking underwater habitats.

I guess with enough of these, you could have a city... Albeit, a 'trailer park' type scenario, but trailer parks are cool too.

5 Incredible Underwater Habitats

I think my favorite is the Poseidon Undersea Resort in Fiji. I love the windows.

That Hydropolis in Dubai is also very cool looking.

Jules’ Undersea Lodge looks too much like the inside of a submarine. A luxurious submarine mind you, but still, it needs more windows or something. Still, great for a underwater trailer park.

posted on Dec, 30 2009 @ 05:27 PM
link   
reply to post by ByteChanger

There are some fantastic looking restaurants and hotels, beneath the water. The views through the windows are just breathtaking. When habitats like this are built close to the surface the light is awesome and creates a great ambiance.

I could imagine entire cities like this. Imagine the technological spin offs from a society that spends most of the time underwater. Personal submarines, efficient use of wave and motion to provide energy. Perhaps even implants that would allow us to breath underwater.

Once the technology has evolved to create inexpensive permanent bathyspheres, they could be joined together in a modular constructs with clear tunnels joining them. I should imagine depending on the depth that they would be protected from rough weather or [skeptic] climate change[/skeptic]

Thanks for the links ByteChanger,

new topics

top topics

join