It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Family pleas for captive US soldier's release

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 25 2009 @ 05:18 AM
link   

Family pleas for captive US soldier's release

news.yahoo.com

KABUL – The Taliban released a video Friday purporting to show a U.S. soldier who was captured more than five months ago in eastern Afghanistan.

A caption in the video identifies the man as "War prisoner: Bowe Robert Bergdahl." Pfc. Bowe Bergdahl is the only known captured American serviceman. The U.S. airborne infantryman was taken by the Afghan Taliban in Paktika province on June 30.

It could not be confirmed immediately that it was Bergdahl in the new video, which was released to The Associated Press and other news organizations. But a terrorist monitoring group said there was no
(visit the link for the full news article)

Mod Edit: Review This Link: Instructions for the Breaking News Forums: Copy The Exact Headline

[edit on 12/26/2009 by semperfortis]

posted on Dec, 25 2009 @ 05:18 AM
link   
How amusing, giving him a helmet and sunglasses, why not give him his M4 while they at it. Seriously we know hes an American serviceman and don't need to have a helmet and sunglasses to emphasize they have captured and American soldier for the first time in 8 years of war. I hope they go to hell for this, and more for sending this video during the holidays with his family most likely seeing this.

news.yahoo.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

Mod Edit: Review This Link: Instructions for the Breaking News Forums: Copy The Exact Headline

[edit on 12/26/2009 by semperfortis]

posted on Dec, 25 2009 @ 05:34 AM
link   
reply to post by deltaboy

The U.S. airborne infantryman was taken by the Afghan Taliban in Paktika province on June 30.

They've been saving him til Christmas just to really piss us off. How disgusting.

I hope these kidnapping murdering scum rot in whatever afterlife they find themselves in.

posted on Dec, 25 2009 @ 05:46 AM
link   
reply to post by Lazyninja

He knew the risk by going there. What are they doing there anyway, searching for some invisible group that they can't find. It's just Talibans, no Binladen or secret army there. It's an ilusion.

At least he is alive and looks in good condition, but I don't see him going home. If this ends like vietnam he might get to go home like the POW from Vietnam went home eventualy. Feel bad for his family.

posted on Dec, 25 2009 @ 06:34 AM
link   
When you're camping over at the Taliban crib, a night wouldn't go past when you'd be thinking about all the other dudes that they be-headed on youtube.

Personally I'd be wetting myself and I totally feel sorry for the guys family always waiting and hoping that their son returns home.

posted on Dec, 25 2009 @ 10:48 AM
link   
reply to post by pepsi78

THIS is the biggest reason for Afghanistan.

The ODESSA based CIA was losing profit, now they are making a new record.

posted on Dec, 25 2009 @ 12:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by pepsi78

He knew the risk by going there. What are they doing there anyway, searching for some invisible group that they can't find. It's just Talibans, no Binladen or secret army there. It's an ilusion.

Him knowing the risks really doesn't change anything at all. It's hardly even relevant. He's out there because he believes he's doing right, or maybe he doesn't even know what the hell he's doing out there because he's so young, and couldn't think of anything better to do with his life.

I agree with you that this is a pointless war that is chasing something that can't be found. But there's a great unfairness in the way that idealistic young men are sent, with their own best intentions of doing good, into a false war which could result in their horrible painful deaths by people who dont follow the Geneva convention. It just seems a little lacking to me, to just say "well he knew the risks"

I'm sure everyone has made decisions they wish they didn't. The thing is that our wrong decisions and their consequences are small fry compared to this guy's worries. He's been sitting there since June thinking about his execution every single day most likely.

posted on Dec, 25 2009 @ 12:45 PM
link   
My prayers for the soldier and his family. May everything end well.

I am still not totally sure how he got caught. Just seems strange that in 8 years of fighting, he is the only one to have gotten captured.

Hopefully members of his unit will speak out one day on exactly how he was captured.

Other than that, I think it is time for Obama to dial up Bill Clinton again and see if ol Bill can get this boy released.

posted on Dec, 25 2009 @ 12:47 PM
link   

I believe this is the second video of him since his capture. In one video he is in his uniform, and in another he is in traditional middle eastern garb.

posted on Dec, 25 2009 @ 12:59 PM
link   
At least he's not being done wrong and he seems content that this war is bullsh** which is very true. Is this the only video there is?

posted on Dec, 25 2009 @ 07:38 PM
link   
It's good to see he's still got some weight on his shoulders. Literally.

In his first video he sounded like it wasn't scripted, he truly felt that the war is wrong.

posted on Dec, 25 2009 @ 08:02 PM
link   
reply to post by seattletruth

The Taliban should let him go and help him spread the message to show that the Taliban are truly civilized and the American govt. is evil. That this American soldier is on their side.

posted on Dec, 25 2009 @ 09:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by deltaboy
reply to post by seattletruth

The Taliban should let him go and help him spread the message to show that the Taliban are truly civilized and the American govt. is evil. That this American soldier is on their side.

This is the problem, when you sign up for the army, marines or whatever.
They send you even if you don't want to go, maybe you had no way of knowing that an unjust war is comming that you do not support but you were already in the army.

I think United States is the only country that does this from Nato coalition. In Europe they ask you, do you wish to go to Afganistan?

posted on Dec, 25 2009 @ 09:21 PM
link   
Can anyone say Stockholm Syndrome? That is what it sounds like. Now watch the government call him a trader. I really feel sorry for this man. There is no way out for him. No matter what happens he will lose. If they do not kill him our people will as a trader I am afraid. It is really sad.

posted on Dec, 26 2009 @ 04:30 AM
link   
reply to post by fixer1967

I agree but he wouldn't be a traitor, he could justify his behavior with this stockholm syndrome.

I just watched the video and I think it's just the Taliban trying a different approach.

Beheadings didn't make them look better

so let's try this...

I wonder when they will set him free.

posted on Dec, 26 2009 @ 10:02 PM
link   
reply to post by Grey Magic

I did not say he was a traitor (which I misspelled) but some might want to say that. I just hope he can hold on to his mind and not be turn by them.

By the way the title of this thread has been changed I noticed. When did that happen?

[edit on 12/26/2009 by fixer1967]

posted on Dec, 26 2009 @ 10:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by Grey Magic
reply to post by pepsi78

THIS is the biggest reason for Afghanistan.

The ODESSA based CIA was losing profit, now they are making a new record.

Don't forget all of that bud over there too now

posted on Dec, 27 2009 @ 02:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by pepsi78

This is the problem, when you sign up for the army, marines or whatever.
They send you even if you don't want to go, maybe you had no way of knowing that an unjust war is comming that you do not support but you were already in the army.

I think United States is the only country that does this from Nato coalition. In Europe they ask you, do you wish to go to Afganistan?

You have to factor in the amount of US troops overseas compared to other countries. The US cannot afford to ask troops if they would like to go into combat. The rotation is stressed enough as is.

posted on Dec, 27 2009 @ 06:30 AM
link   
Maybe the guy asked for sunglasses and helmet to look 'cool'...ever thought of that? Maybe he is one of those half literate guy who didn't knew what he was stepping onto until he got caught by Taliban and joined the army to look cool with guns. He was looking pretty relaxed and well treated in the video.

new topics

top topics

join