It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

**Video** History of Christmas

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 24 2009 @ 10:46 PM
link   
Here is a 30 min video on Christmas that just might surprise you . It covers how much of what we know of christmas came into being . Some of you may be surprised to learn just where these traditions came from .

Google Video Link

posted on Dec, 24 2009 @ 10:49 PM
link   
Don't forget Easter (Named for the fertility goddess Eastre: Her symbols were rabbits and eggs.).
Was common for any religion setting up shop in an area to adopt current celebrations in order to give an easier absorption of converts. Just redefine the cause of the day-keep everything else the same and presto.

(edit) This vid isn't what I thought... Was another with a similar opening that discusses the actual history without slander like "When pagans would practice the arts of darkness.".

December 25th is linked for a few holidays: Saturnalia as well as various celtic and viking traditions where they would decorate the trees, trade gifts, and have a night of debauchery around bonfires.

[edit on 24-12-2009 by lordtyp0]

posted on Dec, 24 2009 @ 10:55 PM
link   
reply to post by lordtyp0

How right you are . Perhaps next easter I will try and find an appropriate video that covers the excellent point you have raised , as you are very correct

posted on Dec, 24 2009 @ 10:56 PM
link   

Please feel free to post any related video as I would be very interested and grateful .

posted on Dec, 24 2009 @ 10:56 PM
link   

Double post
Double post

[edit on 24-12-2009 by Max_TO]

posted on Dec, 24 2009 @ 11:00 PM
link   
i'm not surprised, i thought this was common knowledge.
though, i'm coming to find out that most people really have no clue what they are really celebrating.
silly christianity.

posted on Dec, 24 2009 @ 11:06 PM
link   
I want a Yule Goat. That would be an awesome addition

Some additional links:
Viking symbols
Possibly celtic(?)
Some redundant info in there but yeah. I am still watching the video, aside from the "practice the works of darkness" jibe, no complaints so far

(edit)
OK, the last 5-10 minutes had me groaning. Bad irrelevant stuff.

[edit on 24-12-2009 by lordtyp0]

posted on Dec, 24 2009 @ 11:20 PM
link   
Thank you for the video, i was hoping someone would post something like this.

posted on Dec, 24 2009 @ 11:27 PM
link   
reply to post by DXFILMS

No problem

I find this stuff to be very interesting as well and have come to realize a long time ago that things are not always as they seem to be .

top topics

join