It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Canadian police consider GPS for people with Alzheimer's

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 24 2009 @ 01:30 PM
link   

MONTREAL — Police in Montreal are studying the possibility of offering GPS bracelets to people suffering from Alzheimer's disease, an official told AFP.

The Montreal Police Service (SPVM) is looking at ways to keep safe people suffering from diseases that degrade brain function, including memory.

Those who suffer from such diseases can often leave their homes without the ability to find their way back, putting them at risk of hunger and the cold.

"For us, the priority is the safety of the population. In cases where citizens go missing because of Alzheimer's, we want to get involved as quickly as possible to return them," Daniel Rousseau, the police official heading community action strategies, told AFP on Tuesday.

src

I guess this isn't a bad idea. Many Alzheimer patients do wander off, which makes you wonder more about the care they are under as opposed to their general condition. Sometimes big brother and technology can serve a purpose.

brill

posted on Dec, 25 2009 @ 05:23 PM
link   
This is a GREAT Idea!!!! My Dad had Alzheimers and he use to wander off all the time, and in all kinds of weather. He never got far though, but for those who live in rural areas or who have parents who behave the same way it would be a great tool to have. This is by no means a big brother tool, but rather smart use of this technology

posted on Dec, 25 2009 @ 05:57 PM
link   
This is a great idea, last time I was in Jail, ( which doesnt happen alot by the way ) I saw my high school guidance counselor !!!

he was such a nice guy I didn't know why he was in there, ... apparantly neither did he though, ... he would wander around and try to turn the lights off, ... take peoples stuff, ... then he asked if someone could drive him to the bank so he could get money to bail out, .. he was so out of it I felt bad for him.

but to show you the goodness of human nature, .. me and some of the inmates looked out for him, .. we talked to the CO's and told him who the guy was and that he was suffering from dimentia, ... after hearing our plea's they made some calls and got him out of there after only a couple of days which is a miracle in the county jail system.

posted on Dec, 25 2009 @ 07:26 PM
link   
Living in Canada this premise is something that has been discussed even openly on Talk Radio. It is not something NEW in respects ideas.

This has also been a consideration when it comes to items that are implantable such as the products made by VeriChip.

Of course the application or use of either product does seemingly have benefits, some of which have been offered. It would be beneficial if you could locate such as those Handicapped by Alzheimer's.

It would be beneficial in reducing Infant Theft or aiding in the locating of a missing youngster as well

The biggest problem I have heard discussed revolved around Dollar's, which face it, most governments do not have. A Gps system and associated systems would be an ever increasing outlay, BUT products such as Verichip, have the Operational expendatures already addressed, and the system is adaptable to information with very little concern for requiring UPdated equipment.

Now, I am not the supportive type for such actions, because of my concerns. I'd like to know more about "Whos next Group" to get their trackers?

If the "FOR THE GREATER GOOD", concept is allowed to be a valid reason for inititating such actions, would some of the following make some likely canidates, for protection by tracking.

CRIMINALS,....It has merits.
Political and Exc/CEO, Governmental Leaders,........For their safety.
Registered Firearms Owners,.............So we know where they Hunt.
Anti-Political Operatives, For our safety.

It is just a concern I have when discussing this sort of action. I trust I have expressed this without any intent to offend any the concerns, loved ones which have family members with Alzheimer's, truly have.

Ciao

Shane

posted on Dec, 25 2009 @ 10:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by Shane
This has also been a consideration when it comes to items that are implantable such as the products made by > VeriChip.

If the "FOR THE GREATER GOOD", concept is allowed to be a valid reason for inititating such actions, would some of the following make some likely canidates, for protection by tracking.

CRIMINALS,....It has merits.
Political and Exc/CEO, Governmental Leaders,........For their safety.
Registered Firearms Owners,.............So we know where they Hunt.
Anti-Political Operatives, For our safety.

Thanks for your post. Yes the concept of implantable verichip is old hat and quite a contrast to simple GPS tracking as is being proposed in this article. Having a child I am somewhat in favor of having an implantable chip for peace of mind. At a certain age it could and should be removed but this is a touchy subject.

It is interesting to note your definition of the greater good and likely candidates. For criminals I think ANY criminal on their second offense should have some form of embedded tracking as a condition of their release. Politicians, could care less. I think most people will raise an eye brow at your inclusion of anti-political operatives and tracking for "our safety".

brill

[edit on 25-12-2009 by brill]

posted on Dec, 25 2009 @ 11:49 PM
link   
This is an excellent idea! kudos to canada for creative intelligent thinking*
My grandfather had alzimers, before he passed in 1989...ealy that year he ha moved in with us. I was 14 at the time. He started to forget who were were, hed just smile and say hi,a nd look lost. One day, around 6 am, a driver was nice enough to stop n help my grandfather...apparently he had put a bathrobe on, no cloths, and gone out for a walk early spring. He passed out in middle of the street, a semi busy street. drive stopped called police n ambulance...the reason he came to live with us, til he passed later in the year. he was 87 i think a the time.

posted on Dec, 27 2009 @ 04:17 PM
link   
Let me guess...when these people start losing their bracelets, the GPS will be implanted...

top topics

join