It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Pakistan's interior minister Rehman Malik faces arrest as crisis deepens

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 18 2009 @ 01:59 PM
link   
Things just got strange in Pakistan...

Officials from the National Accountability Bureau asked for permission to arrest the minister in charge of law and order and the war on terror within Pakistan.

The move followed a supreme court ruling earlier this week which overturned an amnesty introduced by former president General Musharraf to bring back the late former prime minister Benazir Bhutto and her senior aides from exile in 2007.

Under the deal, more than 8,000 cases, including corruption, were dropped. Mr Malik, Mr Mukhtar and President Asif Zardari were all beneficiaries of NRO, which saw corruption charges wiped away. The defence minister claims however that his name was mistakenly put on the list of beneficiaries.

PPP leaders suspect the judiciary has collaborated with the military in a move to oust President Zardari, who is unpopular among Pakistan's establishment. The army has repeated denied it has any intention to interfere in politics.

"It seems to me that Zardari's administration has lost its moral authority to govern. Power is slipping away," said leading commentator Najam Sethi.

People are looking instead towards the chief justice. The military is pretending to be out of it but the military will have a very decisive say in everything.

On Thursday, the defence minister, Ahmed Mukhtar was physically prevented from boarding a flight for an official visit to China. The two ministers are key contacts for Western allies for Pakistan's role in the anti-terror fight.

Full story

posted on Dec, 18 2009 @ 02:15 PM
link   
Guess they don't like the US build up in their backyard?

Is the takeover more friendly for the local region in general? I would think so.

I would like to here from our members that are familiar with that situtation.
Intresting development

[edit on 18-12-2009 by Grayelf2009]

posted on Dec, 18 2009 @ 02:20 PM
link   
reply to post by Grayelf2009

you and me both...
this kind of sounds like the opening moves to a Military coop...
still it is odd they let three biggies just walk, Mr Malik, Mr Mukhtar and President Asif Zardari... maybe someone better versed can explain

join