It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Normal Cholesterol? Take This.....Doctor's Orders!

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 18 2009 @ 01:09 PM
link   
The Cholesterol Drug for People Without High Cholesterol

The cholesterol drugs known as statins are already wildly popular; now it looks like the use of one statin could be expanded to treat people with normal cholesterol levels.

An FDA advisory committee yesterday recommended using AstraZeneca’s Crestor to reduce the risk of heart disease in certain patients with normal cholesterol levels but elevated levels of something called c-reactive protein, or CRP. Here’s a story from Dow Jones Newswires.

Why? Well, C-Reactive Protein is a good marker for inflammation, which is now considered a risk factor for heart disease. These guys--pharmaceutical companies--will stop at nothing to medicate you!

In a previous thread of mine, I pointed out AstraZeneca's influence on decisions made by health authorities:

It looks as though AstraZeneca began sponsoring the AHA in 2007. Why does this matter? Well, it's funny how in 2005, the AHA released a negative report about Crestor, AstraZeneca's cholesterol lowering medicine, which promptly led to a drop in Crestor's market share.

Now, after the sponsorship.....

Crestor Study Will Boost Statin Demand

In a study that will likely change medical practice, researchers reported that Crestor, a cholesterol-fighting statin made by AstraZeneca (AZN), reduced the risk of heart attack, stroke, and cardiovascular disease by a surprisingly robust 45% in people who do not have high cholesterol. The patients did have high levels of a protein associated with arterial inflammation that is not routinely measured.

Medical experts said the results, released Nov. 9 at the American Heart Association (AHA) meeting in New Orleans, will almost certainly expand the market for statins, already the world's best-selling drugs. They also will likely spark demand for a controversial and costly test for high-sensitivity C-reactive protein (CRP), a marker for inflammation, which has some practitioners worried about the cost/benefit of extrapolating the research to the general population.

Wow!
What a change of heart(pun intended) by the AHA. It's really that obvious.

You know what they say, "if you can't beat 'em, join 'em!"

I think that sums it up.

Since inflammation is a serious risk, what kind of lifestyle and foods are anti-inflammatory?

-Dev

posted on Dec, 18 2009 @ 01:22 PM
link   
Apparently, according to many references on the web, cholesterol levels have nothing to do with heart disease and stroke. Several large studies have found no relationship. According to the web, you cannot find any large study that correlates high cholesterol with these problems.

posted on Dec, 18 2009 @ 01:48 PM
link   
reply to post by DevolutionEvolvd

One mechanism for chronic inflammation is the body synthesizing more prostaglandins than are metabolized.

A way to reduce inflammation is to increase the amount of omega-3 fatty acids in relation to omega-6 fatty acids in your diet. Omega-3's, specifically EPA and DHA, are converted into less inflammatory prostaglandins than omega-6's. Omega-3/6 compete for the same enzymes, so by increasing the amount of 3 you can reduce the amount of 6 metabolized by those enzymes- which has the effect of reducing the overall inflammatory response.

posted on Dec, 18 2009 @ 01:54 PM
link   
When I first was told by my doctor that my cholesterol was "high" she told me that "statins" where the life saver of the century, that "everybody" needed to take statins because it will "save" lives . . .

Been the skeptical I am I decided to research on the truth about the statin drugs and how the word high cholesterol has become such an obsence word this days with doctors and patients.

Well after learning and know what I know now about cholesterol and what statin drugs can do, Thank you very much big pharma but I like my cholesterol just where it is at, my liver will thank me later for no killing it with the statins and so my brain and hart.

Big pharma can take their statin drugs and shove them where the sun doesn't shine.

[edit on 18-12-2009 by marg6043]

posted on Dec, 18 2009 @ 02:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by Jim Scott
Apparently, according to many references on the web, cholesterol levels have nothing to do with heart disease and stroke. Several large studies have found no relationship. According to the web, you cannot find any large study that correlates high cholesterol with these problems.

That's a pretty accurate statement.

The Cholesterol 'Paradox'

The History? Two of the largest and most influencial studies on the prevalence and cause of heart disease were: The Seven Countries Study, Ancel Keys, et al.; The Frammingham Heart Study.

The Framingham Study never showed high cholesterol to be a risk factor in heart disease. And Ancel Key's purposefully dismissed those 'other' countries that did not comply with his preconcieved notion.

-Dev

posted on Dec, 18 2009 @ 02:06 PM
link   
reply to post by jawsismyfish

Thanks, somebody that knows what is talking about, sadly eating more fish do not do the trick, over the counter omegas have to be scrutinized and only the most highest quality should be used, because oils tend to become rancid after a while.

I am beating high cholesterol with red rice yeast but not any kind as the big pharma crocks has gotten away with the cholesterol fighting on yeast sold in the US.

Also I have beating my blood pressure with a combination of herbs and vitamins but no all vitamins and herbs are the same.

Quality, quality and good reviews.

posted on Dec, 18 2009 @ 02:33 PM
link   
the FDA is pure evil

But other than that, i'll mention that the body creates cholesterol if it is not consumed in the diet, so cholesterol intake had little to do with... anything.

Anti-inflamation is a good thing to help reduce heart disease, but the best thing to do is lower Calcium intake.

Little known is that high Calcium intake is a big cause of heart disease. They've known this for years but it's only getting out to the public now.

posted on Dec, 18 2009 @ 02:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by jawsismyfish
reply to post by DevolutionEvolvd

A way to reduce inflammation is to increase the amount of omega-3 fatty acids in relation to omega-6 fatty acids in your diet. Omega-3's, specifically EPA and DHA, are converted into less inflammatory prostaglandins than omega-6's. Omega-3/6 compete for the same enzymes, so by increasing the amount of 3 you can reduce the amount of 6 metabolized by those enzymes- which has the effect of reducing the overall inflammatory response.

Thanks.

Omega-3 fatty acids (ALA, DHA, EPA) are anti-inflammatory, while Omega-6 fatty acids (AA, LA) stimulate an inflammatory response, especially from eicosanoids (little super hormones).

Fish oil is omega-3 rich and vegetable oils are typically omega-6 rich.

-Dev

posted on Dec, 18 2009 @ 02:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by bettermakings

Anti-inflamation is a good thing to help reduce heart disease, but the best thing to do is lower Calcium intake.

Little known is that high Calcium intake is a big cause of heart disease. They've known this for years but it's only getting out to the public now.

I'll have to respectfully disagree.

Is it calcium intake; or is it high serum calcium?

Certain hormones control the secretion and retention of vitamins and minerals, including calcium. For instance, Insulin, in high amounts, will inhibit calcium uptake which, in turn, leads to high serum calcium. This isn't good....that calcium then gets deposited in places you don't really want.

-Dev

posted on Dec, 18 2009 @ 04:00 PM
link   
Meats tend to be a plentiful source of arachadonic acid in our diets as are eggs, this is an Omega 6. While being linked to increased inflammation, not all inflammation is detrimental to health. Conversely, the blunting of the inflammatory response via corticosteroids leads to problems as well.

I once heard a medical professional claim that the fasting at midnight that is usually done before a cholesterol test isn't lengthy enough to ascertain a person's fasting blood lipid level accurately.

Statins display a noticeable amount of muscle damage in some individuals and it has also known to have hepatotoxic effects in others. If you are prone to alcoholism this obviously can be problematic. Another side effect, as I understand it, is that statins can cause a deficiency in CoQ10. I read recently that a pharmaceutical company has patented the combination of CoQ10 with a known statin which lends credence to the aforementioned deficiency...

I have always had abnormally high cholesterol levels, even as a child, and although I would like to believe that it is a benign fat bouncing around in my cardiovascular system, I cannot take these chances. I personally have taken a low dose statin for some time without incident, my levels have been more acceptable according to medical standards. My liver enzymes have never been found to be elevated, and muscle damage characterized by chronic pain has never been observed. However, this last issue is oftentimes associated with those who live a sedentary lifestyle which I do not, I weight train frequently. There is even speculation of statins being an ergogenic aid of sorts through indirect mechanisms.

I don't think that those with normal levels should take this drug any more than a person without cancer should endure chemo. To make this recommendation is irresponsible and it betrays the corruptibility of an organization that is willing to find their junk science is some corporations deeeeep pocket... I would expect nothing less in America.

posted on Dec, 18 2009 @ 04:18 PM
link   
While statins inhibit HMG-CoA reductase, they also inhibit CoEnzyme Q10, which leads to muscle fatigue and pain (the heart is a muscle), as well as energy loss.

The negative stimulus of insulin seems to inhibit HMG-CoA reductase as well, without the side-effect of inhibiting Co-Q10.

So, don't eat anything that spikes insulin......

-Dev

posted on Dec, 18 2009 @ 08:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by DevolutionEvolvd
Since inflammation is a serious risk, what kind of lifestyle and foods are anti-inflammatory?

LIFESTYLE: Meditation. Dr. DEAN CORNISH did those heart studies in the late 80s that showed how MEDITATION, being more OPEN/AVAILABLE emotionally helped reverse INFLAMMATION. Of course, this included DIETARY changes as well.

....and WATER. Many people are DEHYDRATED which dries the Cell up from the Inside.

posted on Dec, 18 2009 @ 09:15 PM
link   
It's interesting to see this thread, because in the last few days I've been hearing the word "Crestor" for the first time. In fact, I googled it yesterday.

It has some very disturbing side effects. Sometimes when a medication has unpleasant side-effects, discontinuing it will also discontinue the side-effects. Not so with Crestor. This junk can knock your kidneys right out, and give you a muscle disease which is irreversible.

Some of the material suggested it should be a "last resort" medication to reduce cholestrol. But it's very popular right now apparently. I'll be curious to see what develops with this medication in the next year.

**Think about not taking new drugs. One of the sites I was on yesterday suggested this, and I thought it was good advice. When a doctor suggests something new, maybe ask "is there an older and more proven drug you could prescribe?"

Back to the topic: I agree it's disgraceful what the drug companies are doing and what they are being permitted to do.

posted on Dec, 19 2009 @ 12:32 PM
link   
reply to post by ladyinwaiting

Yes statin drugs attacks muscle, and cause irreversible damage, taking into consideration that the hart is a muscle you can add one and one together of the irreversible damage it can cause on the hart muscle.

Still like you said, when statins were offered in the beginning they were for last treatment option and for only no more than a few months.

Now they want to give them for life time treatment on healthy people and to children.

Also to low cholesterol has been linked to dementia in older people, that happen to benefit with cholesterol more than younger ones, because the brain and cells needs cholesterol to work and stay healthy.

Another thing that nobody wants to look into because if doesn't go well with the pharma agenda.

posted on Dec, 19 2009 @ 01:13 PM
link   
or jsut dont eat corpses and stop worrying about it.

posted on Dec, 19 2009 @ 02:11 PM
link   
reply to post by marg6043

Yes. I wish someone who has actually taken some of these statin meds would post and comment about side effects. I noted you must have your liver enzymes checked every three months while you are taking one. In the event it causes damage there as well.

It's been a long, long time since I was naive enough to think the drug companies cared about anything other than money, so I'm not in any kind of surprise here, as I know you aren't either.

posted on Dec, 19 2009 @ 03:06 PM
link   
I will continue to take my Crestor along with two fish oils caps and two aspirin a day.

In 2006 i had a heart attack and CABG x5.

I have a inflammatory auto immune disease Sarcoidosis that causes my CRP levels to be high.

So i take Crestor for both the heart and to control the sarcoidosis inflammation.

Statins can cause Rhabdomyolysis the muscle disease you are taking about but your doctor should be doing labs every three months when you start statins to check for this and to set you Statin dosage.
These lab test will spot Rhabdomyolysis long before it becomes a problem.
Rhabdomyolysis caused by statins is a rare disorder anyway but heart attacks are not.
www.womensheart.org...

I am a retired firefighter/EMT.
If you want to take your chances don't use Statins but be advised that if your unlucky we will not be able to save you when you have a heart attack.
1.5 million heart attacks occur in the United States each year.
1/3 die from there heart attacks.
www.womensheart.org...

Severity of First-Time Heart Attacks on Decline
One of the reasons is more people are taking Statins.
www.msnbc.msn.com...
www.healthnews.com...

posted on Dec, 19 2009 @ 05:28 PM
link   
reply to post by ANNED

Good deal. Somewhere in between the Pharm corp's glowing website, and the other sites blasting them, generally lies the truth. What I read the other day that concerned me was the rapidity and irreparable damage that could creep up on patients. Hopefully it's not so fast it cannot be detected before serious damage is done. I guess one has to be very vigilant with the labs.

Thank you Anned for sharing this.

posted on Dec, 19 2009 @ 08:43 PM
link   

My mother under doctors care for over 25 years due to hight blood pressure and taking pills developed arteriosclerosis at age 59 had a mild hart attack in her early 60s, a stent was put on one of her major arteries and among the many pills she has been taking she was given lipitor, lipitor gave her a rash all over her body that looking like she was been beaten and bruised all over with purplish and black areas.

That was a side effect of lipitor messing with her liver.

When my doctor told me that I had to take cholesterol pills because mine was slightly high, I didn't know anything better so I started to take lipitor also, two weeks on lipitor I started to get pain in my legs to the point that the cramps didn't let me walk up the stairs in my house without having to stop at every step, that is when I started to look into what statin drugs were and the damage they can do to the body and muscles.

Seems that I have a problem with prescribe drugs they seems to give me the worst of the side effects that are no even in the brochures that comes with the drugs.

That makes me a hard person to treat, beside question anything and doctors seems no to like that.

posted on Dec, 19 2009 @ 09:39 PM
link   

Yes. I wish someone who has actually taken some of these statin meds would post and comment about side effects.

Your wish, my command

My doctor started me on Pravastatin 10 mg/day in January. In March, all my tests were normal, but my back was hurting me almost all the time. I have hurt my back many times and an adjustment by the chiropractor usually cleared up the problem. But, this hurting was different from the usual pain and an adjustment didn't help. My prior back pain was usually because I got all twisted out of shape working or something, but this pain was more of a burning type pain between and right below my shoulder blades. It just kept getting worse and I finally had the thought that maybe it was the Pravastatin. My doctor didn't seem to think it was that, but my pharmacist did. Being uninsured, I couldn't afford all the tests she wanted me to have, so I just quit taking the junk and little by little the pain subsided. I still have some pain on occasion, but nothing like it was. I'm pretty convinced it was caused by the Pravastatin even if my doctor is not.
I'm pretty "in tune" with my body and it's aches and pains and this pain was entirely different.

I've talked to a few people that have taken Lipitor, Crestor and that other highly touted cholesterol statin drug (can't remember what it is) that have had some really serious side effects. Their muscle pain was in their legs rather than their backs, but the way they described it, it sure sounded like the same type I was having.

The thing that really pisses me off is that my cholesterol was just a little above normal when my doctor started me on it. I think it could have easily been controlled by diet instead of drugs and I should have stuck by my guns when she first started me on it. But she scared me half to death telling me what all could happen if I didn't take it, so I caved.

I'll guarantee ya' I would rather take a chance with the cholesterol than have my back hurt like that. It was almost debilitating.

She wanted to start me on some sort of statin for my blood pressure, but I absolutely refused even after hearing all her scare stories.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join