It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Experiment detects particles of dark matter, maybe

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 18 2009 @ 05:27 AM
link   

Experiment detects particles of dark matter, maybe

www.sciencenews.org

Analyzing results of an experiment in a northern Minnesota mine, physicists report the possible detection of particles of dark matter — the proposed invisible material believed to account for about 80 percent of the mass of the universe. The physicists caution, however, that there’s about a one in four chance that ordinary subatomic particles, rather than dark matter, could account for the signals.
(visit the link for the full news article)

sciencenow.sciencemag.org...

[edit on 12/18/2009 by Doglord]

posted on Dec, 18 2009 @ 05:27 AM
link   
The confirmation of Dark matter would be a huge step forward.If confirmed this would be major. What I find most interesting is that the actual data was collected in 07-08 but only recently analyzed. Although this is not definitive proof, its is a good indication that the Dark Matter hypothesis maybe validated. Although this experiment may have only detected one type of Dark Matter particle known as WIMP's, it would still be a momentous event.

www.sciencenews.org
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Dec, 18 2009 @ 05:45 AM
link   
what exactly is dark matter and why the need for it to exist?

what does that mean for me?

posted on Dec, 18 2009 @ 05:58 AM
link   
Dark matter is a theorized type of matter which does not interact with ordinary matter except via gravitational effects. Essentially its comprises about 99% of the universe and was necessary for galactic formation. Astronomers realized that the amount of observable matter in the universe wasn't enough to account for galactic formation based on gravity as its currently understood. Essentially galaxies are bound together by 5-10 times as much gravity as observable matter can account for. Dark Matter was theorized in order to explain this discrepancy. However, despite being up to 99% of all matter it has never conclusively been observed directly.

en.wikipedia.org...

math.ucr.edu...

new topics

top topics

join