It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Views: Death penalty for gays? Uganda may join the list

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 17 2009 @ 04:12 PM
link   

Views: Death penalty for gays? Uganda may join the list

www.windycitymediagroup.com

According to press reports, Uganda is poised to join the list of nations imposing the death penalty for being gay.
The Ugandan parliament is expected to pass the Anti-Homosexuality Bill 2009, which creates a new crime of "aggravated homosexuality" and makes such a crime punishable by the death penalty. Even the mere participation of a single homosexual act mandates life imprisonment.

Family members and friends who refuse to "out" those engaging in homosexual activities could face seven years in prison.

The law is so strict that even landlords and priests could be punished. A landlor
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Dec, 17 2009 @ 04:12 PM
link   
Seems a bit extreme to me, it is one thing to charge a person wit ha crime for knowingly spreading HIV or AIDS but it is another thing to be killing people for being gay.
And I am not against gays or being gay i just do not understand it, it is not real to me.
One thing that kinda struck me as odd about this whole thing is that Rwanda is going to be jumping on this band wagon. Did they not just have a recen run in with genocide?
I do not see this stopping the spread of HIV and AIDS i do see it becoming a modern witch hunt.

www.windycitymediagroup.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Dec, 17 2009 @ 04:27 PM
link   
So for being gay they are going to put you in prison with a bunch of men?
Um ok.... But i realy dont get what that would accomplish.

MessOnTheFED!

posted on Dec, 17 2009 @ 04:34 PM
link   
reply to post by MessOnTheFED!

Yeah that sound kind of strange, the punnishment for sodomy is sending the person to a place where they are sodomized.

But joking aside i do not think they are just sending them to prison i think they will just open up more african mass graves.

posted on Dec, 17 2009 @ 04:36 PM
link   
reply to post by zaiger

Yeah could be. That all depends on what they call "aggravated homosexuality." I would think that it meant rape or something of that nature. But im not a Ugandan tho. Makes me glad i live in a Free (only in appearence) nation.

MessOnTheFED!

[edit on 17-12-2009 by MessOnTheFED!]

posted on Dec, 17 2009 @ 04:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by MessOnTheFED!
So for being gay they are going to put you in prison with a bunch of men?
Um ok.... But i realy dont get what that would accomplish.

MessOnTheFED!

Dude....I guess you missed the title of the thread.....It's not life in prison, it's the DEATH PENALTY. FYI....Uganda is not the US, if you are sentenced to death in the morning, you are executed that evening. That doesn't give you much time to hang out in prison.

posted on Dec, 17 2009 @ 04:40 PM
link   
In case any of you are wondering what this bill actually says, here or some highlights of it and a link to it and my thoughts on it.

Here is the some of the summery of the bill and some of the Bill itself that I wish to respond to. I will interject all my remarks with an asterisk.

From the summery
(Summery and Bill found here)
www.boxturtlebulletin.com...

"the current bill reiterates a lifetime imprisonment on conviction of homosexuality, and defines a new category called “aggravated homosexuality” with provisions for the death penalty upon conviction. Among the factors which can lead to “aggravated homosexuality” is if one partner is HIV-positive. This bill would mandate HIV testing to determine eligibility for “aggravated homosexuality.”

Also like the earlier draft, the bill includes a complete ban on all LGBT activities — including blogging — which could be construed as “promoting homosexuality.” This infringement on free speech, peaceful assembly, and redress of grievances marks the elimination of fundamental human rights for LGBT Ugandans. The bill also bans all organizations which advocate on behalf of LGBT citizens and holds their leadership criminally liable with fines and imprisonment for up to seven years.

The bill also extends jurisdiction to acts committed outside Uganda by Ugandan citizens. In other words, if a Ugandan citizen is known to be in a gay relationship outside the country, he will risk lifetime imprisonment (or death, if he’s HIV-positive) upon his return.

* This is pretty straight forward. but why are they doing it? I found this:

* " There are currently an estimated 940,000 people living with HIV in Uganda, and a further 1.2 million children who have been * orphaned by AIDS.1"
* www.avert.org...
* That seems like a good reason to stop HIV at all costs. lets see why else they are doing it.

From the Bill

This Bill aims at strengthening the nation’s capacity to deal with emerging internal and external threats to the traditional heterosexual family.

The Bill further aims at providing a comprehensive and enhanced legislation to protect the cherished culture of the people of Uganda. legal, religious, and traditional family values of the people of Uganda against the attempts of sexual rights activists seeking to impose their values of sexual promiscuity on the people of Uganda.

There is also need to protect the children and youths of Uganda who are made vulnerable to sexual abuse and deviation as a result of cultural changes, uncensored information technologies, parentless child developmental settings and increasing attempts by homosexuals to raise children in homosexual relationships through adoption, foster care, or otherwise.

* Ah, Here it is. they want to protect their way of life, Their Traditional Family Values. That seems fair and honest.

Objective of the Bill

(a) provide for marriage in Uganda as that contracted only between a man and a woman;
(b) prohibit and penalize homosexual behavior and related practices in Uganda as they constitute a threat to the traditional family;
(e) prohibit ratification of any international treaties, conventions, protocols, agreements and declarations which are contrary or inconsistent with the provisions of this Act;
(d) prohibit the licensing of organizations which promote homosexuality.

* If this is what they want as a whole for their people, there is nothing wrong with this and no one should have the right to tell a government they cannot lead their people as they see fit as long as they are not hurting anyone. That is, as long a this is not a new Hitler just trying to wipe out thousands of people for the hell of it just because they disagree with their beliefs.

3. Aggravated homosexuality. * This is where the possible death penalty comes in.

(1) A person commits the offense of aggravated homosexuality where the
(a) person against whom the offence is committed is below the age of 18 years;
* Sex with a minor. That is fair.

(b) offender is a person living with HIV;
* Spreading a deadly disease. that is fair.

(c) offender is a parent or guardian of the person against whom the offence is committed;
* Sex with a family member. That is fair.

(d) offender is a person in authority over the person against whom the offence is committed;
* Sex with person whom you seek to dominate. That is fair.

(e) victim of the offence is a person with disability;
* Taking advantage of the disabled. That is fair.

(f) offender is a serial offender, or
* Offender breaks the Law multiple times. That is fair.

(g) offender applies, administers or causes to be used by any man or woman any drug, matter or thing with intent to stupefy overpower him or her so as to there by enable any person to have unlawful carnal connection with any person of the same sex,
* Sex by taking advantage of a person using drugs without their consent. That is fair.

(2) A person who commits the offence of aggravated homosexuality shall be liable on conviction to suffer death.

(3) Where a person is charged with the offence under this section, that person shall undergo a medical examination to ascertain his or her HIV status."
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

* Why do I say these things are fair? Because they are! These people are trying to stave off a deadly disease and protect their traditional family values. Uganda is Not the USA. you cannot seek to impose your values on these peoples if this is how they choose to run their country.

I see nothing evil in this bill. The reasons for the possible death penalty are all horrible crimes committed against another person.

posted on Dec, 17 2009 @ 04:40 PM
link   
reply to post by Carseller4

DUDE! I am from the south but they did teach me to read a little.

The Ugandan parliament is expected to pass the Anti-Homosexuality Bill 2009, which creates a new crime of "aggravated homosexuality" and makes such a crime punishable by the death penalty.

Witch leades me to my previous post. What is considered "aggravated homosexuality"?

posted on Dec, 17 2009 @ 04:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by JohnPhoenix
Ah, Here it is. they want to protect their way of life, Their Traditional Family Values. That seems fair and honest.

Now that you put that in there it actually seems a little better. Wish people over here would think the same way. But without the whole death paealty thing. Noone seems to give a damn about our Traditional Family Values over in the States.

MessOnTheFED!

posted on Dec, 17 2009 @ 05:07 PM
link   
The list of barbaric and moronic societies you mean?

These are the types of societies which should face regime change.

posted on Dec, 17 2009 @ 05:15 PM
link   
reply to post by JohnPhoenix

The problem with this bill is:

Does this bill specifically target homosexuals for these crimes or does it target heterosexuals as well?

If it is both, then why is it called "aggrevated homosexuality"?

posted on Dec, 17 2009 @ 05:27 PM
link   
reply to post by Nutter

Yeah it is pretty clear it is targeting homosexuals.
more highlights:

The object of this Bill is to establish a comprehensive consolidated legislation to protect the traditional family by prohibiting (i) any form of sexual relations between persons of the same sex; and (ii) the promotion or recognition of such sexual relations in public institutions and other places through or with the support of any Government entity in Uganda or any non governmental organization inside or outside the country....
This legislation further recognizes the fact that same sell [sex] attraction is not an innate and immutable characteristic....
b) prohibit and penalize homosexual behavior and related practices in Uganda as they constitute a threat to the traditional family;...
3.2. Part II of the Bill incorporating clause 2 to 6 prohibits homosexuality and related practices by introducing the offences of engaging In homosexuality, and the penalties of imprisonment upon conviction...

2. The offence of homosexuality.
(1) A person commits the offence of homosexuality if-

(a) he penetrates the anus or mouth of another person of the same sex with his penis or any other sexual contraption;

(b) he or she uses any object or sexual contraption to penetrate or stimulate sexual organ of a person of the same sex;

(e) he or she touches another person with the intention of committing the act of homosexuality.

(2) A person who commits an offence under this section shall be liable on conviction to imprisonment for life.

[edit on 17-12-2009 by zaiger]

posted on Dec, 17 2009 @ 06:27 PM
link   
Well , when in Rome eh ? It must be a problem , i know what i would want if i was agressively raped /or gang raped !! DEATH DEATH and mo DEATH !!!!
Gays in 3rd world countrys aren't like our civilized gays , lmao ..
If you do the crime ,then do the time , if its death , than id suggest fleeing the country ,im not gay,but im sure a piece of ass isnt worth your life, and what if the gayness was experimental,like a confused teenager who was just finding his sexuality , Hes dead too,! Extreme HIV control eh?
This is far from a regime , must have some paranoid gays on this thread ,
I say , leave Uganda out of the GAY PERSONS HOLIDAY DIRECTORY , and in a couple of years ,im sure Uganda will be Gay Free !

posted on Dec, 17 2009 @ 06:45 PM
link   
Uh OH.....look for a new wave of immigrants to the US.
They will be coming here by the millions as Political Refugees, HIV and all other diseases.

top topics

join