It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Christmas idea: Give gifts to unemployed

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 16 2009 @ 12:46 PM
link   
Hi guys,

I have an idea but I don't know the best way to execute this.

Those who are looking for jobs deserve some gifts from strangers this Christmas.

Would it be practical to buy some gifts and have them wrapped, and hand them out at the local unemployment office? I mean, that's where those looking for work go, and they have to be a bit desperate to show up there.

posted on Dec, 16 2009 @ 12:53 PM
link   
reply to post by Dbriefed

Just to add to this and keep it going...

If you have income, and can spare any amount of free cash...
You should definitely:
1. Give to a local food bank
2. Give to Coats for kids. (just give them your old coats!....its free)
3. Help those without money with heat in their homes. (firewood, oil)

Just a start. Giving to a local food bank guarantees you'll help someone.
I stopped giving money to just a "bell-ringer". At least when I physically give food to a pantry, I know it will go to good use.

If you just give money, you never know where it ends up.

I think that giving coats, canned foods, or helping cut firewood are just a few of the best things a person in need can get.

Its ashame, though, because where I work, the guys are too proud to give to those who need it. Regardless of opinions.

We need to be self-less this time of year. Alot of people are in need.

posted on Dec, 16 2009 @ 01:39 PM
link   
I dont think unemployed people deserve free gift from strangers. ..

They got friends and family like anyone else to get gifts from.

If you start doing this you going to get met with a lot of hostility.
It's not what people need at christmas. it's demeaning.

Im currently unemployed, and am doing fine at the moment. i got me gifts for people, got gifts for me. if i was offered something for being poor, i would be tempted to punch that person in the face. for embaressing me infront of friends/family.

[edit on 16-12-2009 by MR BOB]

posted on Dec, 16 2009 @ 01:53 PM
link   
I don't know if the US does it but here in Australia Target, Kmart and Big W stores all have a 'giving' tree at the front of the shop covered in gift tags. You take as many tags as you want and buy a gift appropriate to the age and gender on the tag (eg; boy - 8) and place it wrapped under the tree, with the tag stuck on. Before Xmas all these gifts from all the stores Australia wide are given to families/people in need via the Salvation Army etc in Xmas boxes containing food as well. I have done this every year for about 20 years now.

My dancing club also collects non-perishable food items at our Xmas event every year in early December and gives all the items to charity organisations. It's a much less invasive way of helping out and people in need really do appreciate it.

posted on Dec, 16 2009 @ 01:56 PM
link   
I just hired 10 people who are out of work since September.

They have no job skills that were relevant to what I am doing, so they do general office work, cleaning that sort of thing.

A little bit of extra boost so they and their families can have a merry Christmas and also some of them have shown potential in the IT field so I am going to help them enroll in school and get certificates and then so long as they do well, hire them full time on my staff.

I polled the staff and asked how they would like to use their bonus money and that is the idea they came up with, so I can't take credit for it.

So instead of getting the yearly bonus they are forgoing that to give 10 families a little holiday cheer. And they say the age of chivalry is dead eh?

~Keeper

[edit on 12/16/2009 by tothetenthpower]

posted on Dec, 16 2009 @ 02:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by tothetenthpower
I just hired 10 people who are out of work since September.

They have no job skills that were relevant to what I am doing, so they do general office work, cleaning that sort of thing.

A little bit of extra boost so they and their families can have a merry Christmas and also some of them have shown potential in the IT field so I am going to help them enroll in school and get certificates and then so long as they do well, hire them full time on my staff.

I polled the staff and asked how they would like to use their bonus money and that is the idea they came up with, so I can't take credit for it.

So instead of getting the yearly bonus they are forgoing that to give 10 families a little holiday cheer. And they say the age of chivalry is dead eh?

~Keeper

[edit on 12/16/2009 by tothetenthpower]

Now THAT is awesome and very much what Christmas should be about. It's also what people would have done 60 years ago without much question. My nana tells me stories of how everyone pulled together in hard times without even asking one another to do so. If someone lost their job, friends and neighbours would make sure that family had a enough food etc and would help out wherever they could.

That whole community spirit thing is what is lacking in today's society. So happy to hear your story tothetenthpower. You have some great staff who are thinking outside the box and not just about themselves. Good karma

posted on Dec, 16 2009 @ 02:13 PM
link   
Talk to the local schools. There are always families who cannot afford Christmas gifts for their children, and the schools can give it to them anonymously.

What a wonderful idea you bring to ATS!

posted on Dec, 16 2009 @ 02:17 PM
link   
reply to post by swinggal

Thanks Swinggal, I do promote that type of environment in my workplace, and those who tend to be more selfish don't really last long in my line of work.

Then again, I did have a few people on my staff who really needed the bonus so after telling me during private meetings, I was very happy to give them their bonus.

~Keeper

posted on Dec, 16 2009 @ 02:31 PM
link   
I know your heart is in the right place and I'm sure there are some unemployed people that would love for a stranger to make a kind gesture to them. I've been out of work for over 6 months now and denied unemployment twice. My father has been out of work even longer. I've found myself getting rid of things and simplifying my life instead of craving the newest gadget or whatever else society tells me I need. Its been a blessing in disguise I suppose.

If you want to help, I would suggest actually finding people that are in need. Cut out the middle man because you can't trust that your donations will get into the right hands in a timely manner, if at all. I've heard bad things about the salvation army from someone that were a part of the organization. I'd suggest donating food for the hungry and clothes for the needy if you aren't comfortable giving someone cash.

Happy Holidays

[edit on 16-12-2009 by midniteracerx]

[edit on 16-12-2009 by midniteracerx]

posted on Dec, 16 2009 @ 08:12 PM
link   
The economy is at it's worst in our lifetimes, and many unemployed people want to work regardless of what BLS stats say. It's not the fault of the unemployed that they're not working, it was the the group think of society of investing in home ownership and traditional poor wisdom of congress that got us here.

I agree with cutting out the middle man, that's why I was thinking of going where those who want to work are (EDD or unemployment office), and doing something for those people directly.

I do like the idea of giving people odd jobs, that's good for their pride and they earn the money. I wish I was in a position to do that but I'm not, so in my case, it's going to have to be a gift to give some strangers a psychological holiday boost.

top topics

join