It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Psychiatry's civil war

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 15 2009 @ 09:15 PM
link   

Psychiatry's civil war

www.newscientist.com

When doctors disagree with each other, they usually couch their criticisms in careful, measured language. In the past few months, however, open conflict has broken out among the upper echelons of US psychiatry. The focus of discord is a volume called the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders, or DSM, which psychiatrists turn to when diagnosing the distressed individuals who turn up at their offices seeking help. Regularly referred to as the profession's bible, the DSM is in the midst of a major rewrite, and feelings are running high.

Two eminent retired psychiatrists are wa
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
www.psychiatrictimes.com
schizophreniabulletin.oxfordjournals.org
www.newscientist.com

Related AboveTopSecret.com Discussion Threads:
Psychiatry Exposed? - Doctors claim psychiatry is a HOAX
We are OFFICIALLY insane

posted on Dec, 15 2009 @ 09:15 PM
link   
Lookie, Lookie, Balls on Hookie!

You Crazy, Take this Pill!

Al Gore's a LIAR!

ATS IS COOL!

You American! You Crazy! Take this Pill!

Well here we go, Everyone's Crazy, Take this Pill, The new/old Mantra of the Psuedo-Science of Psychiatry.(psuedo means 'Pretend')

Next thing they'll be saying is that Homo-sexuality is Normal, if you don't like it, you take this pill or we will Prosecute!

Next thing they'll say is that Pedo-philia is just another form of Love, if you don't like it, Take this Pill, or we'll Prosecute!

Oh! Right! They Already Say These Things! Take a Pill and Shut up or we'll Prosecute!

It's Time to End this Charade! NOW!

Sigmond Freud said in his Bio, when asked if he had any regrets in life he said, "Yes, I have One, It is that in my Entire Career I have NEVER CURED ANYONE OF ANYTHING!"

Call your Representative, Senator, Mayor, President, send them this Article and then E-mail everyone you know this Article, It's Time For FULL SCALE WAR against these Charletons'!

No more drugging our Children because you SUCK at Teaching! No more drugging our Wives and Ladyfriends because they are upset when you sleep with other women!
No more drugging Everyone for Everything, It doesn't WORK! It only Mask's the symptoms, It doesn't CURE ANYTHING!

Only YOU can CURE Yourself! It's called Self-Help, Self-Realization, Self Control!

Be a Man/Woman and stop the Madness! Literally!

Don't be a FOOL, A Psychiatrist/Psycologist is a KOOK, A Fraud, A Paracite on Society! Don't give them a PENNY! Make them WORK for a living, Give them a shovel and show them a place to dig a ditch and be Productive, that will make the world a better place! (reminds ya of the 'Cultural Revolution' in China, HUH? I hate to say it, but they might have had something there?)

Maybe this is what happens to all Societies, People become prosperous, Have too much time on their hands and start PERVERTING the Society and then the Psyco-babble Experts emerge from their Hibernations and feast off the Idle-Addled Souls and perpetuate the Social Sickness and Fatten themselves up for the next Hibernation Phase, Sick, HUH?

Knock It Off America! Don't take the Pill, IT WILL KILL YOU!

The Label say, May cause Suicidal Thoghts, And you put it in your mouth and swallow, Then commit suicide and the 'Doctor' says 'I think he was depressed'. And you attend the funeral and say to each other, He seemed O.K., HE WAS GETTING "TREATMENT". Yea, he GOT the Treatment, didn't he!

www.youtube.com...

www.newscientist.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Dec, 15 2009 @ 09:19 PM
link   
/me sits back in her armchair with pad and pencil and asks,
"So, how does this make you FEEL?"
Now I want my $150.00.............
You're mostly right, although I think an odd counselor REALLY can help, most are full of ****

posted on Dec, 15 2009 @ 09:27 PM
link   
reply to post by Keymaster1

Hi Keymaster

While im not a psychiatrist nor do i see one, i would like to point out that the science of psychiatry is relatively new.

And as all science is 'what we have explained thus far' I think its important to undertsand the need for psychiatry to evolve over time and the relevance it plays in llife.

They have really only come as far as to label people, we are all creatures of habit and our habitual behavioural patterns are not fixed, they can change, depending on the person self awareness and not neccessarily through the aid of a psych.

Yes there are those people whom get labeled crazy by your terms but its not up to the psych to tell you thats it. its up to you as to where you decide to settle in your own mind.

have the best day

themuse

posted on Dec, 15 2009 @ 09:35 PM
link   
My son's neurologist mentioned this today. (DS suffers migraines and high functioning autism.) He was particularly concerned because, at this point, it looks like the DSM will be getting rid of Aspergers, PDD-NOS (pervasive developmental disorder not otherwise specified) and one other and combining them all under the "Autism Spectrum Disorder/ASD". Concerning since Asperger's and classical autism present in such different ways. Seems that ASD should be broken into smaller categories to differentiate between classic birth-onset autism, regression autism, aspergers and the rest.

BTW, that makes me feel confused, and I ain't paying...

posted on Dec, 15 2009 @ 09:54 PM
link   
reply to post by Mountainmeg

Hi Mountainmeg

I agree totally with the confusion, its the labeling and sub categories that are endless when it comes to diagnosis. I sympathise with you as it must be hard to deal with the evolving science while so reliant on services and treatment.

the science will get there...but they must confuse themselves first it seems.

all the best

themuse

posted on Dec, 15 2009 @ 10:31 PM
link   
Freud had 'issues', according to CG Jung. Something about mommy not loving him enough.

Jung freaked over sour-pussed priests in black frocks... like his daddy. More issues.

Pills, the oil which psychiatry runs on, will eventually become the greatest threat to sanity in the West (if it isn't already. A Paxil on them all!

Psychology needs to stay FAR away from drug prescriptions and stay with the old notion of 'Confessional'. At least that therapy has some value.

posted on Dec, 15 2009 @ 10:47 PM
link   
The DSM is an interesting and widely misunderstood quantity.
It exists largely so health professionals can agree on classifications and bill insurances. Disorders are agreed upon by committee, so take the info with a grain of salt.

It's very enlightening to look into the changes through the years. Many years ago there was `no such thing' as multiple personality disorder. Then, POOF - there was. Now it's dissociative identity disorder. Who knows what will happen in the next revision...

P.S. Many unwell practitioners maintain there is *still* no such thing as MPD, as if it were a belief system.

posted on Dec, 15 2009 @ 11:02 PM
link   
reply to post by leftystrat

Hi Leftystrat

I just wanted to express my
!!!! to your comment ending 'as if it were a belief system'

The irony is not lost there!!

Objective views are so easily lost and many professionals forget thats fundamental to the science!!

have the best day

themuse

[edit on 15/12/2009 by themuse]

[edit on 15/12/2009 by themuse]

posted on Dec, 16 2009 @ 12:21 AM
link   
Really?
Fix yourself people, self-help?
While I agree and find the abuse and misuse of psychiatry as disgusting and demeaning to the science-
You have to understand one thing-

Go work with or hang out with a bipolar individual, or a suicidal depressed individual, or even a schizophrenic, who hasn't taken any medication-
Then,
And only then,
Can you tell me psychiatry itself is A sham!

Its a new field - give it time- and dont let the ones who abuse a good thing distort your view of the real objective.
Thats all I meant I suppose-
Thanks-
NWR

posted on Dec, 16 2009 @ 12:26 AM
link   
I do not trust psychiatrists because I believe a lot of them are mentally unbalanced and that is why they were attracted to psychiatry in the first place.

I do not say this lightly - I have been involved closely with several psychiatrists when family members were involved, and I have never met one I liked, trusted, or considered sane - honestly.

Counselling is a valuable resource and a help to millions - I say, stick to psychologists and steer clear of psychiatrists.

posted on Dec, 16 2009 @ 12:28 AM
link   
Let's not forget that there is a big difference between Psychology and Psychiatry. They are different fields and focus on very different issues and disorders.

Psychology

Psychology (lit. "study of the soul" or "study of the mind"[1]) is an academic and applied discipline which involves the scientific study of human or animal mental functions and behaviors. In the field of psychology, a professional researcher or practitioner is called a psychologist. In addition or opposition to employing scientific methods, psychologists often rely upon symbolic interpretation and critical analysis, albeit less frequently than other social sciences such as sociology.

Psychologists study such phenomena as perception, cognition, attention, emotion, motivation, personality, behavior and interpersonal relationships. Some, especially depth psychologists, also consider the unconscious mind.a Psychologists attempt to understand the role of mental functions in individual and social behavior, while also exploring the underlying physiological and neurological processes.

Psychological knowledge is applied to various spheres of human activity including the family, education, employment, and the treatment of mental health problems. Psychology includes many sub-fields that span areas as diverse as human development, sports, health, industry, media and law. Psychology incorporates research from the social sciences, natural sciences, and humanities.
wiki

Psychiatry

Psychiatry is a medical specialty officially devoted to the treatment and study of mental disorders. The term was first coined by the German physician Johann Christian Reil in 1808.

Psychiatric assessment typically involves a mental status examination, the taking of a case history. Psychological tests may also be conducted. Physical examinations may be carried out and on occasion neuroimaging or other neurophysiological studies are performed. Mental disorders are diagnosed based on criteria listed in diagnostic manuals, such as the widely used Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders (DSM), published by the American Psychiatric Association, the International Classification of Diseases (ICD), and the World Health Organization.

Psychiatric treatment employs a variety of therapeutic modalities including medications, psychotherapy, and a wide variety of other treatments such as transcranial magnetic stimulation. Depending upon the disorder being treated, the severity of the symptoms, and level of impaired functioning, treatment may be conducted on an inpatient or outpatient basis. Research and the clinical application of psychiatry are conducted on an interdisciplinary basis involving various sub-specialties and theoretical approaches.
wiki

[edit on 16-12-2009 by LadySkadi]

posted on Dec, 16 2009 @ 12:31 AM
link   
reply to post by nowayreally

Hi nowayreally

I agree with you, infact i stated that in my post up top. My dad is bipolar, grew up with him without meds, different meds, Electric shock therapy most recently.

While i personally dont feel this is a disorder i could have or sit with, I understand being labelled bipolar helped my dad validate who he is, why he is like he is and gave him a 'form of confidence' instead of self guilt. Although its not a label i wish he needed to get by as he still has suicidal tendencies etc which being called bipolar doesnt fix, understading the need for the science is totally about not taking it personal and seeing the bigger picture which i feel the op may have missed as they are clearly not happy with the field.

have the best day

themuse

posted on Dec, 16 2009 @ 12:59 AM
link   

posted on Dec, 16 2009 @ 09:28 AM
link   
reply to post by Keymaster1

Only YOU can CURE Yourself! It's called Self-Help, Self-Realization, Self Control!

Be a Man/Woman and stop the Madness! Literally!

I take it that you have never suffered from clinical depression.

Believe me, these are the things that you tell yourself every day, just to get through the day and function as normally as you can.

You tell yourself "Stop being silly", "Come on, shake it off", "There are people worse off" etc etc, until you get to the point where you simply cannot cope. At this point those pills that you are deriding DO make a difference. This is from personal experience.

You are right, the drugs don't cure you, but they allow you to think straight enough for long enough to sort yourself out. They allow you to see your problems and to take control of your life.

Don't be too quick to knock psycho-pharmaceuticals. They do help people.

Schitzophrenics can lead perfectly normal lives as long as they STAY ON THE DRUGS, but one they're off, they're back to licking windows.

posted on Dec, 16 2009 @ 10:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by TaraLou
I do not trust psychiatrists because I believe a lot of them are mentally unbalanced and that is why they were attracted to psychiatry in the first place.

Actually that applies to quite a lot of the healing profession - therapists too.
Although I gotta say that out of all I've met, the psychiatrists are the most loopy

Just because they're not wound too tight (or overwound) doesn't mean they can't be proficient healers. Ask for recommendations if you need to see one. Most insurances won't let you spend too much time with a psychiatrist anyway... they're used for writing prescriptions then you're handed off to a therapist.

posted on Dec, 16 2009 @ 11:54 AM
link   
reply to post by TaraLou

It is not the crazy psychiatrists that scare me; the greedy ,power hungry pshychiatrists scare me. The drugs prescribed are addictive ; the changes in dosages can cause people to suffer with drawel effects. Psychiatrists are a step below drug dealers ,because drug dealers can not legally force clients to take drugs.

[edit on 16-12-2009 by eradown]

posted on Dec, 16 2009 @ 12:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by eradown

It is not the crazy psychiatrists that scare me; the greedy ,power hungry pshychiatrists scare me. The drugs prescribed are addictive ; the changes in dosages can cause people to suffer with drawel effects. Psychiatrists are a step below drug dealers ,because drug dealers can not legally force clients to take drugs.

True about effects but don't forget: the stuff does work for some people.
Tons of them.

"Depression hurts"

posted on Dec, 23 2009 @ 01:41 AM
link   
reply to post by leftystrat

Some of those drugs - probably all of them actually, say things like it will take 3 weeks for it to work or whatever and by that time the person has lost it.

Psychiatric drugs are evil - steer clear of them - I had a family member on one of those drugs and he went totally mental.

top topics

join