It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Oral Roberts, Evangelist, Dies at 91

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 15 2009 @ 09:36 PM
link   
reply to post by Alethea

In a sense,that is my point. What offends me even more is that he took religion and God and used it for a personal crutch. That's why I got so offended when someonesaid he was "accomplished." Nah. He conned.

I find it funny that some people will support someone, no matter how shady they may be, as long as that some one is propping up what they personally believe. Let someone with differing beliefs do it, and all of a sudden they are "eeeevil."

[edit on 15-12-2009 by SpeakerofTruth]

posted on Dec, 15 2009 @ 09:38 PM
link   
reply to post by eradown

I did, back in the 70s, 80s and my husband used to be station in Quantico VA, he was very popular then specially with that thing he used to do with the TV sets and healing with "god will" if you believe enough, and send your donations in time.

Oh, yes he was something else back then, then his son took over.

posted on Dec, 15 2009 @ 09:40 PM
link   
Televangelists are scum, but RIP. Though I still think his name is just HILARIOUS.

posted on Dec, 15 2009 @ 09:57 PM
link   
One of the characters behind Oral Roberts success was a man named James Eugene Ewing.

Ewing became very wealthy coaching evangelists like Roberts. Ewing seems to have been the catalyst behind a lot of marketing and fund raising ideas---like prayer cloths, direct mail marketing, and "seed offerings" (the start of "prosperity" gospel--give more and expect god will make it up to you
)

Ewing also coached "Rev. Ike".

"Gene laid out one of the most sophisticated fund-raising campaigns I had ever seen. He said, 'Oral, I want you to write your supporters and tell them you are going in the prayer tower, and you are going to read their prayer requests and pray over them.' He stayed there three days. I forget how many hundred thousands of letters we had, but it was huge."

Anthony has also obtained documents that describe how Ewing and his organization use demographic data to target the poor.

"He capitalizes on the isolation of the loneliest and poorest members of our society, promising them magical answers to their fears and needs if only they will demonstrate their faith by sending him money," Anthony said.

Meet "God's Ghostwriter":

www.trinityfi.org...

CONSPIRACY TO FLEECE THE FLOCK!

[edit on 15-12-2009 by Alethea]

top topics

<< 1   >>

join