It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Oral Roberts, Evangelist, Dies at 91

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 15 2009 @ 03:54 PM
link   

Oral Roberts, Evangelist, Dies at 91

www.nytimes.com

TULSA, Okla. (AP) -- Oral Roberts, the evangelist who rose from humble tent revivals to found a multimillion-dollar ministry and a university bearing his name, died Tuesday. He was 91.

Roberts died of complications from pneumonia in Newport Beach, Calif., according to his spokesman, A. Larry Ross. The evangelist was hospitalized after a fall on Saturday. He had survived two heart attacks in the 1990s and a broken hip in 2006.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Dec, 15 2009 @ 03:54 PM
link   
It is always sad to see someone who attempted to live his life according to the principles of his faith pass; but his life was a long and fruitful one by many measures.

I share this news not as conspiracy, but as breaking.

Roberts was a pioneer on two fronts -- he helped bring spirit-filled charismatic Christianity into the mainstream and took his trademark revivals to television, a new frontier for religion.

He helped bring religion to mass media, changing the landscape and the politics of the American culture in a very measurable way. For better or worse, it is here to stay.... or maybe not

Hey, there could be a conspiracy in there after all ...

Rest in peace Mr. Roberts.

www.nytimes.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Dec, 15 2009 @ 04:00 PM
link   
reply to post by Maxmars

I take it that Mr. Roberts didn't get his 8 million this year so God took him home?

January 1987: Roberts said God had told him . . . he had to raise $8 million by March 1 or God would take him home.

posted on Dec, 15 2009 @ 04:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by Nutter
reply to post by Maxmars

I take it that Mr. Roberts didn't get his 8 million this year so God took him home?

January 1987: Roberts said God had told him . . . he had to raise $8 million by March 1 or God would take him home.

No doubt god was pissed off with the dude not having enough faith to let jesus heal him and going to hospital.

Will the congregations be getting a full refund on all their tithes I wonder ?

posted on Dec, 15 2009 @ 04:56 PM
link   
badadum dum dum another one bites the dust! bum bum bum another one bites the dust..

posted on Dec, 15 2009 @ 05:00 PM
link   
reply to post by moocowman

I know my post was tongue in cheek and all, but I don't want this to be a bashing Mr. Roberts thread.

I apologize to the OP for starting it.

My deapest condolensces go out to him and his family. Even though he spent his whole life trying to discriminate me and my kind. Why should I harbor any ill feelings?

Oh, that's right. Because he's brainwashed millions.

So, I guess it's fair game. But, I do hold to the truths of "judge not lest ye be judged" and "harm none" so I'll try my hardest to refrain.

[edit on 15-12-2009 by Nutter]

posted on Dec, 15 2009 @ 06:11 PM
link   
reply to post by Nutter

I appreciate the retraction... proviso's and all.

I understand your differences, and they are not trivial.

But in the end, even I, the least of God's children, have standing issues with the movement in most of its' guises.

Nevertheless, he numbered among a dwindling minority in his peer group. I believe he tried to bring genuine good to the world, for a time. As with most men of 'celebrity' that became increasingly treacherous ground as the celebrity grew, and he became politically 'useful.'

As for what he believed, and how that belief took shape, I won't bother judging him..., theoretically he is in the hands of a better judge than I.

posted on Dec, 15 2009 @ 07:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by moocowman

No doubt god was pissed off with the dude not having enough faith to let jesus heal him and going to hospital.

Will the congregations be getting a full refund on all their tithes I wonder ?

The guy lived for 91 years.....we should all be so lucky. He was truly blessed.

posted on Dec, 15 2009 @ 07:01 PM
link   
Well Oral does appear to have actually believed what he was preaching unlike some of his hypercritical counterparts . I am glad that he was never on my TV screen thou as I would have regarded him and others as getting caught up in an evil system . History shows that this can happen to what was once seemingly good people . I hope that I have not spoken ill of the dead when it comes to convoying my point .

Cheers xpert11 .

posted on Dec, 15 2009 @ 07:05 PM
link   
R.i.p Mr. Roberts have a good time hanging out at the pearly gates.

posted on Dec, 15 2009 @ 07:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by Maxmars

It is always sad to see someone who attempted to live his life according to the principles of his faith pass; but his life was a long and fruitful one by many measures.

Really? Wasn't he the one that had people convinced that God had told him he was going to die about 25 years ago if he didn't raise X amount of millions of dollars? There was a big scandal over it. I'm sorry, but he won't be missed by those he swindled.

[edit on 15-12-2009 by SpeakerofTruth]

posted on Dec, 15 2009 @ 07:22 PM
link   
reply to post by Maxmars

It's an incredible feat when someone goes from obscurity to founding a Universtiy; It is not so incredible that such an accomplished person would inspire jealousy. Let him rest in peace.

[edit on 15-12-2009 by eradown]

posted on Dec, 15 2009 @ 07:24 PM
link   
Maxmars, you can think he was a "good man" if you wish, but I have to differ. He used religion as a crutch and he took advantage of those who were all too willing to "believe."

posted on Dec, 15 2009 @ 07:32 PM
link   
reply to post by eradown

Yeah, how was he accomplished? He was accomplished by taking advantage of people. Sorry, sir or mam, but there is no "good" or pride in that!!
I'll certainly not cry any tears for him.

posted on Dec, 15 2009 @ 08:50 PM
link   
To those who disagree: I understand.

I cannot defend the man. What he did or didn't do is something which moved many people, I was not among them.

Until the time when the political right began using the message, I was willing to tolerate his opinion; after that, I ignored him.

What little was shoved in my face by the media didn't surprise me much. I've seen and heard of much worse. But then, that too is a matter of opinion.

I wouldn't include him among the worst of any category of person... but then I never followed either the opposition or the proponents of his brand of evangelicalism.

posted on Dec, 15 2009 @ 09:13 PM
link   
I used to watch his show back in the 80s, I mean his religious program, I believe he is the one that used to tell people to put their hands on their TV sets so god could bless them with fortune.

Occurs after sending your donations.

Or that was his son doing that

Well I guess he live his life according to his bible and now he will met his maker.

posted on Dec, 15 2009 @ 09:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by SpeakerofTruth
reply to post by eradown

Yeah, how was he accomplished? He was accomplished by taking advantage of people. Sorry, sir or mam, but there is no "good" or pride in that!!
I'll certainly not cry any tears for him.

He provided humble people with spiritual guidance. In return, they gave him status and wealth which he used to build a University which they can use better their lot. The people talking him down could care less about the people who listened to him. The welcome mat will not be rolled out for Oral Robert's humble flock at snob houses of worship. A great man has died.

posted on Dec, 15 2009 @ 09:17 PM
link   
reply to post by eradown

Isn't that the way things are, greatness is in the eye of the beholder, and the followers and believers.

I think my father is a great man in my eyes does that makes him a righteous man? perhaps only in my eyes.

posted on Dec, 15 2009 @ 09:28 PM
link   
One less fraud bilking the handicapped and taking advantage of the ignorant who are in pain.

He got away with lies, greediness, fraud, deception, and much more for way too many years. And it was the same "birds of a feather" politicians who turned a blind eye to his wiley ways of conning people because they got a piece of the action $$$$ too.

This man should have gone to prison many years ago for his religious shake-downs of poor people in pain.

posted on Dec, 15 2009 @ 09:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by marg6043
reply to post by eradown

Isn't that the way things are, greatness is in the eye of the beholder, and the followers and believers.

I think my father is a great man in my eyes does that makes him a righteous man? perhaps only in my eyes.

I did not listen to him ,but he did not take advantage of anyone. Had this been the case he would have been thrown in prison. His success should be a lesson to the religious who think they are too good to serve humble people. Poor down and out people are more than just objects of pity. They also have the abilty to contribute a great deal.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join