It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Apocalyptic Themes in Mainstream Media

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 14 2009 @ 11:14 PM
link   
I don't post much here so I hope I got the right section to post this in and I used the search bar and didn't find much on this.

I also posted this on the david icke forums and haven't gotten any responses. There seems to be more people on here though.

That said, anybody else notice the ridiculous amounts of apocalyptic themed media lately?

The past two nights were the first nights I have turned on the TV for a very long time. I was utterly amazed by the amount of apocalyptic themed movies and TV shows that are advertised and aired just as I'm watching.

I turn on the TV last night and I tune to the SyFy channel (or hwoever they spell it, the Science Fiction channel) since I've always liked the Stargate shows and they advertise this movie they made about the end of the world due to mad scientists or something and claim it's the "most exhilarating end of the world movie you seen yet!" or something hilarious like that. Then a TV show comes on the same channel about human genetic manipulation and how the genetically modified people are revolting or something. Oh, and iRobot was on TV too.

Today/tonight I turned on the TV and War of the Worlds was playing, followed by Independence Day. On another channel Men in Black 2 was playing, and on yet another channel Terminator was playing.

Don't even get me started on the 2012 movie that just came out.

Now I realize this is nothing more than a distraction from greater issues and agendas but my question is:
Why the apocalyptic theme all the sudden? Why not more mindless celebrity gossip and chick flick movies?

What are your thoughts everyone?

BTW, since when does Mike Huckabee have his own TV show???

posted on Dec, 14 2009 @ 11:45 PM
link   
End of the world themed Television shows and Movies make bloody good entertainment.

The Mainstream Media end of the world productions COULD be a smoke screen for something bigger, possibly even a warning. But overall I think it's just a new theme from which people can make money. Since most people know about 2012 predicitions and all that these days, it's a perfect opportunity for director's and entertainment companies to take advantage of the timing and make money off people's growing interest in END OF THE WORLD stuff.

I sure know I enjoy it

posted on Dec, 15 2009 @ 11:13 PM
link   
hmm, well I thought it was just odd/interesting how I turned on the TV and on virtually every channel was some sort of doomsday or fear inducing type show in one form or another.

posted on Dec, 15 2009 @ 11:29 PM
link   
Well, I think a lot of the networks realize there is a very profitable market in the Apocalyptic genre. And with 2012 fast approaching, I think we'll see more and more of it until 12/21/2012, when I foresee a highly over-saturated apocalyptic/doomsday market. By then, perhaps even us here on ATS will say, "OK, enough is enough. It's old now."

On second thought, that probably won't happen. Who am I kidding?

posted on Dec, 16 2009 @ 04:39 AM
link   
It sells better. It's not exciting unless everybody dies. 'Jericho' got cancelled, probably because it wasn't about New York or Los Angeles, but about some town that really wasn't all that affected. Not exciting.

It's nearing the end of the decade, so with the thought of family (Holiday season)there's also the thought of the end of things to begin anew again on peoples minds. Easier to sell doomsday alongside hugging your mom.

new topics

top topics

join