It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Have we lost an invisible war?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 14 2009 @ 04:36 PM
link   
Is it possible to get so acclimated to being abused, that we no longer know how to respond? Has America the beautiful become America The weak?

Anyone who listens to Kanye West for more than 30 seconds knows what it's like to be abused, as well as anyone who has ever read more than one page of those "ATS sucks!!*&#!" Threads.
We know WHAT abuse is.

But do you know how to properly respond, emotionally?

Sounds like an easy question to answer, but you may be surprised with the actual facts.

A psychologist asks: Have consumerism, suburbanization and a malevolent corporate-government partnership so beaten us down that we no longer have the will to save ourselves?

Everyone is busy. You have stuff to do, I have stuff to do. What happened to the time?
Work work work, hurry hurry hurry.

Eat this.
Take this.
Call me back.
Leave a message.
I'll be there in 5.
Heres TV.
Be fashionable.
Thats in.
Thats out.
Worry.
Better car.
Better Job.
More Money.
Jesus loves you.
Donate money.
Buy our gasoline.
Sell your home.

Are you too caught up in everyday life to realize youre being rear-ended? Are these things, fundamentally, distractions?

Can people become so broken that truths of how they are being screwed do not "set them free" but instead further demoralize them?

Yes. It is called the "abuse syndrome." How do abusive pimps, spouses, bosses, corporations, and governments stay in control?

Lets think about bank bailouts. People were obviously outraged, but did anything actually get done? Credit card Interest rates?
Those are just off-hand instances. But....
Chances are, you PUT UP WITH a good amount of injustice.

the abuser then makes their victims eat even more lies, abuses, and injustices, resulting in victims even weaker as they remain in these relationships.

The full article can be found r ight here. Courtesy of alternet.

There is alot of injustice out there. But have become so accustomed to the abuse, that we dont think we can fight back?

Think of your excuses for not fighting back:
Im not wealthy enough.
I dont hold enough influence.
There arent enough like-minded people.
Its more trouble than it's worth.
Someone will fix this soon.

We all have those thoughts. But have we become programmed that way our whole lives?

This could be be the biggest conspiracy of all. Because it works from the inside out. There's nothing to hide about it.
Too many bad deeds not only get by, but are HONORED.

I encourage you to click the link on the full article, theres too much for me to discuss.

What does everyone think/feel?

[edit: I forgot to mention how cool I am]

[edit on 14-12-2009 by InertiaZero]

posted on Dec, 14 2009 @ 05:04 PM
link   
I have a theory, but I'm not sure if I believe it.
School, you're told what to do, and you get punished if you don't do it, or punished if you do it wrong. Sense a young age, you are told what to do, where you can't question, and you don't know what it's like to think for yourself. What if we are made to not question orders by the school system?

posted on Dec, 14 2009 @ 05:09 PM
link   
reply to post by Phlynx

Good point!
So you think this might start at the very beginning? The system conditions us from an early age.
Good theory.
And it makes sense, because you start to buck against authority as a teenager(generally speaking).
But what makes you back down again.... as you get older? failure?

posted on Dec, 14 2009 @ 05:11 PM
link   
Don't rock the boat. Yes, it's conditioned into us from day one. Conformity. The Bee Hive syndrome.

School, yes. Religions, too. Ask too many questions and you will be ostracized. Pastors have even been known to ask precocious people to leave the church. Some actually put people out and make announcements that certain people are no longer welcome members...it is done against the person's will.

So we have all of these enforcements tactics to keep us in line.

And to help with that, vaccines are required in infancy. Then mercury fillings. Later, heavy pharmaceuticals. And just to make sure they get everybody, flouride in the water.

All of these things are being done to assure people maintain this "weakness" of thought and compliance.

posted on Dec, 14 2009 @ 05:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by InertiaZero
reply to post by Phlynx

Good point!
So you think this might start at the very beginning? The system conditions us from an early age.
Good theory.
And it makes sense, because you start to buck against authority as a teenager(generally speaking).
But what makes you back down again.... as you get older? failure?

Maybe it is that we have failed, that we have caused no change. Maybe if one teenager was to cause many others to realize whats going on, something could happen?

posted on Dec, 14 2009 @ 05:20 PM
link   
reply to post by Alethea

Youre right. Conditioning, paired with distractions. No wonder so many have a hard time thinking outside of the box. Heck, try explaining half of the topics presented here on ATS, to your average joe.

When you start to question, when you start to rebel, life gets a little bit harder, doesnt it?

Quit thinking, watch this show. Hear about this celebrity. watch these new movies. You dont have HDTV? Text message. Web on your cell phone. GPS. iphones. 3g browsing is so cool.
buy buy buy. look look look.

We have been conditioned to accept the things mentioned above as "consolation prizes" for being screwed.

You mention flouride and medicines, so maybe its weakness of not only the spirit/mind, but of the body as well?
Great points!
Stars for you guys.

posted on Dec, 14 2009 @ 05:22 PM
link   
reply to post by Phlynx

Maybe! thats an optimistic outlook.

But it starts with one.

[edit: i kant spel dee werds rite]

[edit on 14-12-2009 by InertiaZero]

posted on Dec, 14 2009 @ 06:36 PM
link   
I think the reason people stop rebelling as they get older is rather mundane. For many people, like myself, who grew up in cities and are still in cities, there is very little one can do to rebel. Protesting requires permits and does nothing but get you a soundbite on the news about how your crazy and havn't grown up enough to drink the kool-aid.
Aside from that we need to work to eat, sleep and dress ourselves and also must pay taxes, our bills and save a little for entertainment. The teenage years are our last years without full responsibility. After that most people don't have the energy to push for change. They see the thousands of others packed into the concrete jungle all going along.

For many their is not escaping the system because the system is everywhere and everything.

Just my 2 cents
Cheers

posted on Dec, 14 2009 @ 09:38 PM
link   
reply to post by thebulldog

Interesting....

I grew up in a large city as well. I see your point.

However, all of these things you mention, are things Im trying to look at as "distraction" for this discourse.
I have bills and taxes as well. These things can cause a great deal of anxiety, depending on your situation.

Do you not think it hinders you? Or do you think it is just acceptance?

At some point, you learn to disassociate yourself from idealism?

posted on Dec, 14 2009 @ 11:02 PM
link   
Though I've never tolerated abuse in my other relationships I'm afraid I agree that I feel death is the only way out of THIS one...
S & F for this thread

posted on Dec, 14 2009 @ 11:28 PM
link   
reply to post by InertiaZero

Eat this.
Take this.
Call me back.
Leave a message.
I'll be there in 5.
Heres TV.
Be fashionable.
Thats in.
Thats out.
Worry.
Better car.
Better Job.
More Money.
Jesus loves you.
Donate money.
Buy our gasoline.
Sell your home

I like this.
This list to me, allthough it is far from complete, tickles me when I think
of just two hundred years ago. The Native American Indians.
just went out and brought down a few buffalo.

I for one don't see how it was worth it all.
May God have mercy on us all.

oh yea that's right" they were the heathens":bnghd:.

posted on Dec, 15 2009 @ 09:25 AM
link   
reply to post by randyvs

Yeah, I would say our list or priorities greatly differs from most other mammals.

Native americans had more important things to worry about, like spirituality, and survival. We have so many amenities, natural instinct seems to take a back seat.

new topics

top topics

join