It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Banking question.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 12 2009 @ 02:21 PM
link   
Hi,

I need a credit card/debit card for an over the phone transaction. I could possibly do the same tranaction over the internet. My question is wether or not I can use my ATM card for this. It has PLUS, Interlink logos on it. The bank info center is closed so I just thought I would see if i could get a quick answer here.
If this card would be accepted as a debit card. Over the phone I would have to give the person the PIN, or just the card #? I think it might be safer to just go get a prepaid card of some sort? Thanks.

posted on Dec, 12 2009 @ 02:48 PM
link   
Over the phone, I always just give them the card number, not the PIN. This has always worked.

Most debit cards have the option to run them as a CREDIT card, this means that instead of the money coming out instantly, it shows up on your statement the next day.
To run your card as CREDIT, they do not need your PIN number.

Some places will ask for your 3-4 digit code on the BACK of your card. This is just to prove that you are holding the card in your hand, its not a stolen card.
They may also ask for the last four digits of your social security number, in America. This is ok as well.

If they ask for your PIN, tell them no! Its a scam!

Hope this helps, buddy!

posted on Dec, 12 2009 @ 03:00 PM
link   
Hey I used to work at td bank .... The only way u can do an over the phone transaction is the card says debit on it usually on the right side or if it has a logo ( visa MasterCard ) you can not use ur ATM card if all it is is a ATM card .... Don't give ur pin ... The only person that should know ur pin is u and whom ever you trust ... To be honest not even the bank has ur pin on file ...

posted on Dec, 12 2009 @ 03:06 PM
link   
Agreed, never give your pin. You created it, hopefully you did not leave the original on it.

And previous poster is correct on the logo. Need one of those to be able to use it as a credit card transaction.

posted on Dec, 12 2009 @ 03:58 PM
link   
If you don't qualify for something like a regular MasterCard or Visa you can get a pre-paid card with no problem. Ask your bank, or go to a cheque cashing place. They load the card with whatever cash you give them and it works like a regular credit card over the internet or phone.

You are limited to the amount you load on the card or have in the account.
I believe they also charge you a transaction fee each time you use it plus a monthly fee to have the card.

I think Money Mart issues a free pre-paid MasterCard if you use their services, you can call and check or look at their web page.

www.moneymart.ca...

They burn you for a pretty good fee if you cash a pay there though.:shk:

posted on Dec, 14 2009 @ 05:11 AM
link   
reply to post by Mailman

If your debit card has a Mastercard or Visa logo on the front, it will functions just like a credit card if you use on the internet or over the phone. You won't be asked for your pin number; just the credit card number and the saftey three digit CVS code, or whatever it's called, on the back, next to your signature.

The bank will then mostly likely immediately take the money out along with any fee (which I doubt there would be any as it seems banks are doing away with ATM/debit fees). This all, too, is assuming that your in America. It sometimes varies from country to country.

reply to post by InertiaZero

Most debit cards have the option to run them as a CREDIT card, this means that instead of the money coming out instantly, it shows up on your statement the next day.

I had always wondered what the purpose of being able to choose credit if I was at the store buying groceries! Thanks for sharing that, and I'll keep it in mind the next time I'm State-side.

[edit on 12/14/2009 by octotom]

top topics

join