It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

AP IMPACT: Science not faked, but not pretty

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 12 2009 @ 08:31 AM
link   

AP IMPACT: Science not faked, but not pretty

news.yahoo.com

LONDON – E-mails stolen from climate scientists show they stonewalled skeptics and discussed hiding data — but the messages don't support claims that the science of global warming was faked, according to an exhaustive review by The Associated Press.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Dec, 12 2009 @ 08:31 AM
link   
"This is normal science politics, but on the extreme end, though still within bounds," said Dan Sarewitz, a science policy professor at Arizona State University. "We talk about science as this pure ideal and the scientific method as if it is something out of a cookbook, but research is a social and human activity full of all the failings of society and humans, and this reality gets totally magnified by the high political stakes here."

news.yahoo.com

posted on Dec, 12 2009 @ 09:53 AM
link   
they don't know crap, in other words?

hahaha

posted on Dec, 12 2009 @ 10:33 AM
link   
The entire problem is how scientific and political areas seem to now be so entwined together that you do not know WHO or WHAT to believe...

What is science these days? Being laughed off and even fired for any view that somehow is predetermined? Why bother even being a scientist if new discoveries these days are either already right or wrong.

Global warming? or cooling... which is it? Faked emails to which I have heard been stated at over 10 years old, despite some being only from a month ago.

Global farce imho, who cares what the outcome is, but the factor is that were damned if we do, and were damned if we dont.

posted on Dec, 12 2009 @ 11:03 AM
link   
Science may be victim to natural human failings but as scientists they have a duty to keep their political affiliations and agendas out of their research. Science is an absolute, it is about facts, it's about truth against ignorance, even if it's politically unpopular.

What we seem to see with this Climate Change argument is science being bent towards political agendas on both sides of the spectrum. We should not have to question what science is telling us simply because facts and figures are being skewed one way or the other.

I really do not like this modern idea that science is somehow a variable and is at the mercy of people's political feelings.

posted on Dec, 12 2009 @ 11:59 AM
link   
Guess what? The name of one of the editors of this AP article appears in the leaked emails.

BY SETH BORENSTEIN, RAPHAEL SATTER and MALCOLM RITTER, Associated Press Writers Seth Borenstein, Raphael Satter And Malcolm Ritter, Associated Press Writers – 1 hr 41 mins ago

From www.eastangliaemails.com...

Kevin, Gavin, Mike,
It’s Seth again. Attached is a paper in JGR today that
Marc Morano
is hyping wildly. It’s in a legit journal. Whatchya think?
Seth
Seth Borenstein

Associated Press Science Writer
(note: Marc Morano is a climate skeptic, editor of climatedepot.com website)

Biased article? Hmm...

[edit on 2009-12-12 by Shirakawa]

posted on Dec, 12 2009 @ 09:55 PM
link   
reply to post by Shirakawa

hmmm I didn't know. Are you an impartial commentator? Who is in this debate anyway?

Here's a better question - why is it that it is mostly the conservatives and the GOP that are climate change skeptics? What is it exactly that they have to gain from this ideology?

[edit on 12-12-2009 by mrsoul2009]

posted on Dec, 12 2009 @ 10:01 PM
link   
Is this the same Associated Press that did an in depth check of Palin's book, which they have never done for any other book in their history of reporting?

I think I currently trust the nonbias of the Associated Press as much as I trust HuffPo, DailyKos, and MoveOn to be nonbiased.

posted on Dec, 12 2009 @ 10:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by mrsoul2009

"This is normal science politics, but on the extreme end, though still within bounds," said Dan Sarewitz, a science policy professor at Arizona State University. "We talk about science as this pure ideal and the scientific method as if it is something out of a cookbook, but research is a social and human activity full of all the failings of society and humans, and this reality gets totally magnified by the high political stakes here."

news.yahoo.com

You've got to be kidding me! Science is not supposed to be a social event, unless it is part of an experiement. Science is supposed to be something out of a cookbook, it is supposed to be orderly and correct and it is supposed to include all data that pertains to the question at hand.

Incredible!

top topics

join