It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I've never really had a nightmare.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 12 2009 @ 12:47 AM
link   
i'm 26 years old and i've had dreams where i'm trying to get away from a bad guy who is chasing me but i'm moving SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOoo slow.... but nothing bad as some people describe... and i think i've only had a couple of those types of dreams.... I've had dreams where there are huge godzilla like monsters but they are more like action movies and i'm kicking their ass or am calm and trying to calm others down..

but i really cant remember any nightmares at all. some people have the most viivid nightmares but i personally cannot say i can remember any horrid nightmares.

is this odd? what do you think?

posted on Dec, 12 2009 @ 01:23 AM
link   
Well I share this luck...

Only what happens is about 1/4 of my dreams end up having something bad going on (often its someone trying to kill me because I have that fear) but then right before the terrible climax I gain superpowers and blow them away. For example, if I am being chased through my house by some intruder with a gun when he finally goes to shoot me I suddenly develop telekinesis, render the gun useless, and propel him through 3 walls. It's like a lucid dream but I don't know i'm dreaming I just don't think it's strange that I can do crazy things.

I think it has something to do with your fundamental philosophy. I personally believe that unfettered telekinesis is a very real phenomenon that the extremely few and wise have ever developed. I think this belief translates into my dreams. My subconscious goes "Hey! This dude is going to kill me and I have no way to stop him..unless I might have dormant powers coming out right now" and then my dreamscape reflects that thought.

Do you believe that everything in life is a helpful lesson/do you believe in Karma/reincarnation? Maybe your subconscious goes "Ehh, everything is grand and part of a positive cycle" and it gets reflected in your dreamscape.

posted on Dec, 12 2009 @ 01:25 AM
link   
No, you just sound like a really calm and secure person.

I notice that I'm personally almost totally incapable of feeling anger. Most of the time when something "bad" happens that would really piss someone off, I just start laughing, even/especially when it's something that actually does piss somebody else off, which gets me in trouble sometimes...

posted on Dec, 12 2009 @ 02:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by hautmess
but i'm moving SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOoo slow....

yeah ... ever have a fight in your dream with the same feeling?

me too btw, very rare if ever do i have bad dreams....like twice every 5 years... almost never.

i would have to agree though, it's from being calm and secure. i don't know but no matter how bad anything has gotten i never worried and almost felt reassured eveything would work out and be fine

posted on Dec, 12 2009 @ 02:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by Reddupo
Do you believe that everything in life is a helpful lesson/do you believe in Karma/reincarnation? Maybe your subconscious goes "Ehh, everything is grand and part of a positive cycle" and it gets reflected in your dreamscape.

absolutely. life communicates through symbols, one system for example; the tarrot...

posted on Dec, 12 2009 @ 02:08 AM
link   
Chase dreams mean that you are hiding a secret. Moving slowly means that you haven't thought up an escape plan yet.

posted on Dec, 12 2009 @ 02:13 AM
link   
I think that you probably had nightmares in the past, but have developed coping mechanisms in order to deal with them (e.g. superpowers.), and such time has passed that you have forgotten what it was like to be helpless in a bad dream. Just an idea.

posted on Dec, 12 2009 @ 02:46 AM
link   
reply to post by hautmess

Me, neither. I just have dreams. And they are all fantastic! I love the "nightmares". It's like watching Chiller TV. or just painting in my studio and listening to whatever music comes up on the radio. Sometimes it's a real HORROR!

posted on Dec, 12 2009 @ 03:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by kyred

Me, neither. I just have dreams. And they are all fantastic! I love the "nightmares". It's like watching Chiller TV. or just painting in my studio and listening to whatever music comes up on the radio. Sometimes it's a real HORROR!

i use to want bad nightmares because i liked horror movies a lot at one time but i would never get dreams like horror movies ......

i do live daily feeling really humble and amazing. life is just such a blessing and i am not one who complains,

posted on Dec, 12 2009 @ 03:21 AM
link   
Nightmares seen like they can be turned into a valuable learning tool. More recently I have found that I can take recurring themes that are fearful and face them instead of fleeing them within the dream and actually make progress in overcoming the fears.

So, for instance, if something is chasing you down, just stop and hold your ground. Give it a good look and banish it. It might not work perfectly the first time but the fear does fade as you take charge.

I haven't found that knowing I am dreaming is a prerequisite. Simply be resolved about the issue in your life and the rest follows. Within the dream you'll find you are acting more in accordance with the resolute attitude.

posted on Dec, 12 2009 @ 03:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by JJay55
Chase dreams mean that you are hiding a secret. Moving slowly means that you haven't thought up an escape plan yet.

I don't think dream symbolism comes in one-size-fits-all.

posted on Dec, 12 2009 @ 03:45 AM
link   

I've never really had a nightmare.

So is this a complaint like, I never really got to play with silly string.

Never heard anyone say duck !

Never got to make it with a blonde.

Cuz if you're just complaining I got better things to do.

posted on Dec, 12 2009 @ 04:24 AM
link   
OP, i see where you are coming from. I have had dreams in which scary things happened, but it always feels really cinematic and movie like, so it ends up being exciting and not really truly horrifying. I love dreams. Someone told me something a couple weeks ago, and it has really stuck with me. Basically, live your life as if it is a constant dream. Makes life even more exciting and it makes you really get in the mindset that anything is possible.

Starred and flagged, brah!

posted on Dec, 12 2009 @ 04:54 AM
link   

Your only dreaming about yourself, so take from that what you want.

posted on Dec, 12 2009 @ 06:45 AM
link   

i'm 26 years old and i've had dreams where i'm trying to get away from a bad guy who is chasing me but i'm moving SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOoo slow....

That one is common, so common that the prime suspect, I think, is dream incorporation. That is, there is a kind of voluntary muscle paralysis that is a natural part of rapid eye movement (REM) sleep. It would be easy to become aware of that, and to work the awareness of it into a dream.

(Terms in italics are searchable.)

but i really cant remember any nightmares at all. some people have the most viivid nightmares but i personally cannot say i can remember any horrid nightmares.

A lot of folks who work on dreams reserve the term nightmare for a bad dream that wakes you up. Long story short, if that happens, then you will remember that dream
. If you just have a "bad dream," but slumber on, then you are at the mercy of whatever your personal dream recall percentage is. For most people, it seems to be pretty low.

There wouldn't be anything odd about a young adult not remembering ever having had a nightmare, then. Especially since you do recall some (arguably) bad dreams... it's not like you've been spared any glimpse into the darker recesses of your psyche... it's just that you weren't overwhelmed by what you saw there. Just as well.

Star to what EnlightenUp said about the real nature of nightmares. Word.

posted on Dec, 12 2009 @ 07:08 AM
link   
Enlist to the war, when you come home the bad dreams will come. Or work as a police officer in a rough city... etc

posted on Dec, 12 2009 @ 09:17 AM
link   
To Sleep, Perchance to Dream...

I have a dream..."deeply rooted in the American dream"...not where all people are equal in that they must be exactly the same, but equal under the law and under that law, free, each and everyone of them, free and sovereign unto themselves. Then I wake up and get out of bed to face the daily nightmare that is reality. Moving ever so slowly, as if a paralysis has overtaken me, I trudge through the day, desperately trying to find a way to make some small measure of difference, some worthwhile gesture that might snap me out of this waking nightmare that seems endless in its steady march towards doom.

Each night I go to sleep and dream, I dream of a better world where all of us spend time acting instead of reacting, and any reaction is spontaneous and immediate and good and just....then I wake up and get out of bed to face yet another nightmare where people are angry and react to offense as if they are capable of no more than being the effect of that offense and wholly incapable of being cause over the atrocities we impose upon each other. So, ever so slowly I run, fast as I can moving ever so slowly, in an attempt to escape the horror that is reality.

There are moments, fleeting snippets of moments, in this waking nightmare I call a life, where I am heroic and courageous and good and just...then, the horror returns and I, like so many others, tremble with fear at the awesome powerlessness of seeming helplessness and I wonder, where is my strength, where is my courage? Then, I lie in bed and slowly fall asleep waiting to dream of a better world.

top topics

join