It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

ATI and the HDMI and a HDTV

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 10 2009 @ 10:45 PM
link   
OK, I read all I could read about using an HDTV for a PC monitor and I started using one several months ago. I love it. But I could only use the VGA connection from my NVidia Verto 9600gso as it only had DVI connectors and the HDTV only has VGA and HDMI

So out I went and bought a fairly low end card to see if it will work, it is the ATI HD2400 Pro and it has the HDMI slot.

So I hurried home and connected my ATI Card got it working wonderfully and hooked up my 32in HDTV as an extended monitor and ran the HDMI cord from the graphics card to the back of the TV and started her up and....

Nothing

The TV says it is not getting a signal and the graphics card will not "Attach" the secondary monitor. (HDTV)

I've tried setting the HDTV as the primary and every setting I know of. Nothing.

I currently have it hooked up via the DVI Connector on the graphics card with a VGA adapter to the TV, but I really figured I would get a fantastic picture with the HDMI..

Any ideas?

Semper

posted on Dec, 10 2009 @ 11:47 PM
link   
Curse loudly and tap them all very hard.
Thats what i'd do

posted on Dec, 11 2009 @ 12:12 AM
link   
The only thing I can think of is patches. In fact, a patch solved the very same problem I had with my old tower.

Other than that you might have a bad hdmi port on the card. Get it replaced.

I only use macs now, so I am not as learned on the newer pc cards, but it sounds like a software problem. Also check the documentation about requirements. Sometimes the motherboard cannot handle what a card is trying to do.

posted on Dec, 11 2009 @ 05:57 AM
link   
reply to post by semperfortis

From the product specifications page:

ati.amd.com...

Built-in HDMI (2) for one-cable audio and video connectivity

2) May not support all HDMI displays. Please visit AMD Customer Care at ati.amd.com for more information.

[edit on 11-12-2009 by 12m8keall2c]

posted on Dec, 13 2009 @ 12:00 AM
link   
You can pick up a DVI to HDMI adapter or or cable. I purchased a 30' open box DVI to HDMI cable (open box) for around 15$ from Newegg.com I think just the adapter runs around $8-$13. From my own personal experience, I get better looking display with no problems at all if I use just a DSUB VGA cable to connect to my HDTV. I have an old Nvidia TI 4200 that has DVI and a DSUB for the VGA and it does not matter if I use the DVI to VGA adapter or just go DSUB from the card to the HDTV DSUB input. Crystal clear and the card recognizes all the resolutions the HDTV supports.

In your case, I would use the DVI to DSUB adapter and connect to your HDTV with the DSUB input and not worry about the HDMI.

If you stuck on the HDMI then make sure you pick up the newest ATI drivers AND some additional software.

game.amd.com.../radeonxip-xp

Make sure you get the Avivo suite and possible the HDMI Audio driver

You did not say what OS you have so I hopped it was XP. Vista has a bunch of DRM that might make your problem not go away.

join