It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Limbaugh vs. McConnell: GOP leader targeted by conservative groups

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 10 2009 @ 11:49 AM
link   
thehill.com...

Rush Limbaugh and conservative interest groups are criticizing Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell (R-Ky.) for not putting up a strong enough fight to stop the Democratic healthcare legislation.

The conservative talk radio host has questioned McConnell’s strategy a few times on his program this week, joining a chorus of growing critics who say the Senate GOP leader is aiding Democrats by allowing the chamber to debate and vote on amendments.

Is this just more evidence of the GOP splintering into different factions vieing for contributions, votes and Power?

This is what in the article I found most interesting....

Conservative activist members of the Tea Party, which led loud protests of Democratic healthcare proposals over the summer, has also turned its sights on the GOP.

The Tea Party and the conservative-leaning Social Security Institute sent out 1.5 million e-mail messages on Monday asking recipients to urge GOP senators to take a tougher stance in opposition.

“Shame on Republican Senators!” said the e-mail alert. “They are paving the way for ObamaCare to be enacted into law this year because they want to go on Christmas Vacation.

Neocons, TeaPartyiers, Palin devotees, mainstream GOP, Survivalists...
Can the Right pull itself together in time for 2010?

posted on Dec, 10 2009 @ 12:02 PM
link   
It's called taking the Party back. Back from the John McCain types that are destroying it. The Republican Party has turned into Democrat Lite, and loyal Conservative members are getting sick of it.

Notice the rise in people no longer calling themselves Republican? They are calling themselves Independents or Conservatives more and more. The Republican Party had better take notice.

Note: This does nothing to improve the standing of the Democrat Party. It's just that more Independents will start voting for the more conservative candidate....regardless of party.

[edit on 10-12-2009 by Carseller4]

posted on Dec, 10 2009 @ 12:14 PM
link   
reply to post by whaaa

Whaaa the Republican party will not splinter as the folks threatening that very split are just bitter, but come 2010 they will return. The republican party already owns the popular alternative conservative candidates that these demographics will not turn away from.... they have the mainstream conservatives like Romney and Palenti (excuse spelling) but then they also have Ron Paul, whos supporters are the alternative rightwing, such as libertarians and conspiracy theorists. They have Palin to appeal to the religious old fashion folk...... there are just too many conservative "stars" for any tea party protestor to turn away from.

posted on Dec, 10 2009 @ 02:40 PM
link   
It looks to me like the lunatic fringe is splitting the right wing apart. IMO it's in the Republican party's best interests to keep the moderates and real conservatives in the fold, even though they are alienating the extremists. The real strength of the GOP is ultimately in these saner members. There are just not enough crazy tea-partiers out there to win a national election, no matter what the fringe says.

To blame the Senate minority leader for being unable to stop the health care legislation is just insane. There is nothing he can single-handedly do to change the majority vote.

But let the party tear itself apart in its eagerness to be on the wrong side of history. It just makes the Democrats' job easier.

posted on Dec, 10 2009 @ 03:28 PM
link   
reply to post by Carseller4

I think you said it best. It is time to clean house within the party and on the Hill. The conservatives need to regain a foothold and get back to core principles of fiscal responsibility and a small and limited government. I want my kids to have a viable future.

The house cleaning will ultimately take place on both sides of the aisle in 2010. The Dems. could use a face lift as well. Time to say goodbye to the tax and spend to oblivion ideals. It is time to do what is best for the people, not the politicians and their financial supporters. Crazy spending from a president who campaigned from the center and who is now ruling from the left is not working for this country.

posted on Dec, 10 2009 @ 03:32 PM
link   
It's all about real conservatives fighting for what they believe in instead of towing the party line.

Democrats could learn a lot from this.

posted on Dec, 10 2009 @ 03:59 PM
link   
reply to post by Anjin

Baloney!
Congress is to blame. Repub members of Congress participated enthusiastically in the looting of America during the Bush years. Now they all crow about returning to their roots. What BS!
What Congress, ( both parties) care about is re-election, fund raising, and lobbyists, ideology, conservative or liberal ,has little to do with it. It takes Congress to pass laws limitingthemselves!. Talk about the fox and the henhouse!!!
ONE THING EVERYONE, REGARDLESS OF POLITICS SHOULD SUPPORT OBAMA ON IS THE LIMITING OF LOBBYIST INFLUENCE! If people could get past their hatred of the man, MAYBE he could accomplish this!

posted on Dec, 10 2009 @ 04:09 PM
link   
reply to post by OldDragger

I agree with most of what you just said. I just saw a poll yesterday that ranked the ethics of congressmen below the ethics of car salesmen. It is certainly time to do some housekeeping in both parties, enact strict term limits and campaign finance reform. Unfortunately, Obama already backed down on his campaign rhetoric of "lobbyists won't find a job in my White House". He has employed at least a dozen former lobbyists in his administration so far.

Here is my favorite former lobbyist in the administration:

Mark Patterson, chief of staff to Treasury Secretary Timothy Geithner, was registered to lobby as recently as last year for financial giant Goldman Sachs.

news.yahoo.com...

posted on Dec, 10 2009 @ 04:45 PM
link   
reply to post by jibeho

Money IS power my friend!
But one thing Obama has done is bar lobbyists from sitting on Federal advisory boards. This will mean hundreds of corporate shills will at least not have automatic access to shaping Federal policy. You have to admit it's a good thing! Hopefully it's just a start.

top topics

join