It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Dark Matter discovered - Announcement December 18th 2009?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 8 2009 @ 07:53 AM
link   
CDMS is an experiment located underground in the Soudan mine in Minnesota. It consists of two dozens of germanium and silicon ice-hockey pucks cooled down to 40 mK. When a particle hits the detector it produces both phonons and ionization, and certain tell-tale features of these two signals allow the experimenters to sort out electron events (expected to be produced by mundane background processes) from nuclear recoils (expected to be produced by scattering of dark matter particles, as the apparatus is well shielded from ordinary nucleons).

And then...

* Fact #1: CDMS submitted a paper to Nature, and they were recently accepted. The paper is embargoed until December 18 (embargo is one of these relics of the last century that somehow persists until today, along with North Korea and Michael Jackson fans) - the collaboration is not allowed to speak publicly about its content. Consequently, CDMS has canceled all seminars scheduled before December 18.

* Fact #2: A film crew that was supposed to make a reportage from unblinding the CDMS data was called off shortly before the scheduled date. They were told to come back in January, when the unblinding will be restaged.

Article
resonaances.blogspot.com...

posted on Dec, 8 2009 @ 08:29 AM
link   
reply to post by komp_uk

There is not a final conclusion yet, that Dark Matter does indeed exist, this is most likely wishful thinking.
Of late, there have been a leaning more towards the fact Dark Matter or Dark energy don't exist.
To me this is along the lines Hawking's Rays which I myself feel is something Mr. Hawking needed the make up to support his theory of a open Universe.
I myself think, it is closed universe, with mutiple Bangs occurring, as for the accelaration of the Univese, we are only in the first instant of the Bang.
The Dark Matter, Dark Energy is needed to explain this accelaration, of which I think more in terms of intial acumulating velocity, and conbinded Gravity effects.
It's the same as when Einstein, made up the Cosmic Constant, he needed it because it was the only way he could solve his equation, only thing is now they think he may of been correct, or some do.
It's also like when a 100 years ago they spoke of the Ether, then they said no, no Ether, now their back on the Ether kick.
But it is possible Dark matter does exist, in some manner, this would help explain theory that the speed of light was greater shortly after Bang, than it is now.

posted on Dec, 12 2009 @ 01:32 PM
link   
www.dailymail.co.uk...

Scientists expected to unveil the discovery of dark matter. Physicists have detected a particle of dark matter for the first time in human history, according to rumours buzzing around the internet.

This week news leaked onto a physics blog that researchers from this Cryogenic Dark Matter Search will publish some important results in the next edition of the journal Nature. Physics papers rarely appear in that journal, except to announce a new discovery

Wow, wouldnt this be exciting news. The machine has not even been ramped up to its full potential yet either.

Cant wait to hear these findings. Exciting stuff!!

posted on Dec, 12 2009 @ 07:16 PM
link   
Dark matter might be just matter in another parallel universe.

top topics

join