It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Poll Heard Round the World: Could A Tea Party Candidate Actually Win An Election?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 7 2009 @ 09:46 PM
link   
slate.com

One key to the success of the Tea Party movement is that no one has bothered to measure it. Democrats pump up Tea Partiers—or, in their preferred nomenclature, tea baggers—as a fringe coalition of nativists and neo-Nazis taking over the Republican Party. Moderate Republicans dismiss them as a small but vocal band of gripers. Conservative Republicans claim they're a vibrant cross-section of concerned Americans like you and me. The argument, and the publicity, is endless, because no one knows how many Tea Partiers there are.
Until now. Rasmussen Reports took the first crack last week at measuring the strength of a third-party "Tea Party" candidate on a generic ballot, and the results are in. "Suppose the Tea Party Movement organized itself as a political party," the survey asked. "When thinking about the next election for Congress, would you vote for the Republican candidate from your district, the Democratic candidate from your district, or the Tea Party candidate from your district?" Democrats led the way with 36 percent. Republicans pulled in 18 percent. And the Tea Party candidate got 23 percent. The Democratic National Committee would like to point out that 23 is more than 18.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

As someone left of center, I look at the Tea Party movement as something of an amusement and a bemusement. I cannot take them seriously.

Seeing signs calling us "morans" (sic) at Tea Party rallies and far crazier slogans doesn't help their image much.

I hope they do run a third party candidate next election though. It will split the Republican vote and leave the victory to the Democrats.

[edit on 7-12-2009 by Sestias]

[edit on 7-12-2009 by Sestias]

posted on Dec, 7 2009 @ 10:33 PM
link   
except for the very bottom of that poll which pointed out 22% wasn't sure who they would vote for. That 22% are the independents. So hypothetically speaking if the independents voted for the Tea Party they would end up with 45% of the vote.

And the dems are about to lose their majority come 2010 midterms. You can bet your bottom dollar on that.

posted on Dec, 7 2009 @ 11:36 PM
link   
reply to post by Sestias

But then again, there is this.....

www.abovetopsecret.com...

I do believe the TPM have a fair amount of support but it that support can't be organized behind a platform and a canidate; it's pointless.

new topics

join