It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mind-Machine Breakthrough: People Type With Just Thoughts

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 7 2009 @ 08:32 PM
link   
By focusing on images of letters, people with electrodes in their brains can type with just their minds, scientists now reveal.

These findings make up one more step on the road to mind-machine interfaces that may one day help people communicate with just their thoughts. Researchers have recently employed brain scans to see numbers and maybe even pull videos from inside people's heads.

The neuroscientists were monitoring two patients with epilepsy for seizure activity with electrodes placed directly on the surface of their brains to record electrical activity generated by the firing of nerve cells. This kind of procedure requires a craniotomy, a surgical incision into the skull.

How it works at this link.

www.livescience.com...

Electrodes placed directly on the surface of peoples' brains allow them to type just by thinking of letters.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/9d6d68bd840f.jpg[/atsimg]

This would be so cool, can you imagine not having to type anymore, not so sure I would go for the surgery though.

posted on Dec, 7 2009 @ 09:01 PM
link   
There is another thread on this posted today but I'm to lazy to provide the link to the post
-sigh- im so lazy

posted on Dec, 7 2009 @ 09:03 PM
link   
Haven't monkeys been trained for years to do this? Didn't they learn to influence the movement of a cursor on a screen to get treats?

I'm not sure electrodes inside the brain are any kind of healthy upgrade from cell phones scientists skull caps. I'd love to see some brain scans of synesthiasts though.

posted on Dec, 7 2009 @ 10:00 PM
link   
I think it is good people are staying up on this, how ever it is not exactly news. Then again, nothing in the "news" really is now is it.

But, none the less these things are "rediscovered" by those who are not familar with these subjects. There are some great threads on this here at ATS, and from DARPA themselves;

First a few offsite links to get you warmed up;

See page 12

Brain Machine Interface program has demonstrated that a monkey can control a robot arm using only his thoughts. Let me be clear about this: we are not tapping into the monkey's nerve impulses, that control his arm. Rather, we are monitoring his actual thoughts and brain's neurological impulses, those impulses are wirelessly transmitted to a robotic arm located in another room, and the robot arm moves.
Simultaneously, the monkey's thought signals are also sent out via another DARPA development, the Internet, to a lab 700 miles away, where he simultaneously controls another robotic arm. So the monkey also uses his brain to do mechanical work via the Internet!

Darpa doc

Brave New World: Neurowarfare and the Limits of International ...
I. DARPA's Brain-Machine Interfaces and Human Assisted ..... Poindexter, the former National Security Advisor convicted for his role in the 1986 Iran- ...

DARPA’s Brain-Machine Interfaces and Human Assisted
Neural Assistance Programs . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 179 R
II. The Use of Brain-Machine Interfaces in the Context of
International Criminal Law . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 186 R
III. Novel Issues of Law That Brain-Machine Interfaces Raise
in the Context of International Criminal Law

Law.edu

Office: (352) 392-6503 [email protected] ? mil.ufl.edu... ... Dr. Nechyba's work on brain-machine interfaces
serves as associate director of the Machine Intelligence Laboratory, dedicated to the development of intelligent, autonomous robots, and has continued to pursue research in human-centered robotics. Since joining the University of Florida, he has collaborated with Sphereo, Inc., in the development of intelligent control algorithms for a robotic spacecraft, and the development of real-time algorithms for vision-based tracking and re-creation of activity in known environments.

his Ph.D. thesis, entitled Learning and Validation of Human Control Strategies

Starting to smell the coffee, good glad to see some people are wakig up.

Now some onsite links;

You should look into DARPA, they have every thing from brain machine interfacing to AI and autonomous robots.

There are plenty of areas to look into, but DARPA is the gov's tech go to people. A search based on the material provided should be more than enough to get started.

AUGCOG[ /url]

and National Security Advisor to ... stricter oversight of the Defense Advanced Research Projects Agency ... the futures market, the Brain Machine Interface program grew out of DARPA's...
[url=http://www.stanley2002.org/stories/090403/0904030.htm]Dept of Deception

DARPA's iXo Artificial Intelligence Control Grid: 'The Official Version'

DARPA: Cyborg Moths to Hunt Terrorists

DARPA AI .mil & more

posted on Dec, 7 2009 @ 10:15 PM
link   
reply to post by ADVISOR

Thank you for the links, I am familiar with this technology but haven't seen anything on it recently.

posted on Dec, 7 2009 @ 11:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by '___'omino
There is another thread on this posted today but I'm to lazy to provide the link to the post
-sigh- im so lazy

Here is the other link... Sorta follows a what if scenario...
www.abovetopsecret.com...

top topics

join