It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

First Flights (Dec-Jan)

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 7 2009 @ 03:37 PM
link   
I thought that I would list all the first flights that I know of for Dec/Jan.

Gulfstream G650
The G650 completed the second flight last Friday. First flight ended with a precautionary landing due to a vibration in the landing gear door. It reached 9500 ft and 240 knots.

EADS A400M
First flight is tentatively scheduled for Friday Dec 11. Taxi tests have been completed and crews say it handles excellently. Take off will be 16t under max with a crew of at least 4.

Boeing 787
Engineers should give the Go/No Go any day now. First flight is scheduled for either the 15th or 18th. ZA001 is undergoing flight preparations, with ZA002 scheduled to fly by the end of December.

Boeing 747-8F
Sources say the first flight should occur sometime in the first half of January. The first flight airframe should begin 2nd or 3rd phase gauntlet testing any time now.

posted on Dec, 7 2009 @ 11:53 PM
link   
Update 1- 787

Final Gauntlet testing starts Tuesday and runs into Wednesday or Thursday. As part of the testing they will hook up the "Breadtruck" and trick the aircraft into thinking it`s flying. This coming weekend they will complete the last round of low and high speed taxi testing. Still waiting on the Go/No Go.

posted on Dec, 8 2009 @ 09:17 PM
link   
reply to post by Zaphod58

A short warm-up video before the main event:

posted on Dec, 8 2009 @ 09:21 PM
link   
i know nothing about aircrafts, but was attracted to this by the close dates and all...

does this have some meaning? or is it just a boom in first flights?

or i guess i should ask...do you think it has a meaning if there isn't one that is being talked about.

im just curious..planes are interesting to me in general.

posted on Dec, 8 2009 @ 09:27 PM
link   
reply to post by iamsupermanv2

The A400M and the 787 are both several years behind schedule, due to various program issues. The 747-8F was delayed due to the 787 needed the engineers.

posted on Dec, 8 2009 @ 09:52 PM
link   
reply to post by Zaphod58

ahhh ok...thanks!

posted on Dec, 9 2009 @ 04:33 AM
link   
Update 2-G650

The 2nd flight of the G650 lasted 1hr 45min. Handling, engine operability, flap operability, and various other systems were tested during the flight. Gulfstream plans on having 5 aircraft in testing, with a certification date of 2011.

posted on Dec, 9 2009 @ 10:09 AM
link   
Yeah i do agree with some others that that is a big amount of first flights to be made next year.

You can add the PAK FA due to being postponed to early 2010 because the deadline of late 2009 could not be met according to Sukhoi.

Darn shame realy but it seems that is the way how it works now.

Lets hope for Airbus, Boeing and Sukhoi that everything will fly without a hitch

posted on Dec, 9 2009 @ 12:44 PM
link   
Update 3

A400M

Wheels off time is 10am local Friday, Dec 11th. The aircraft will climb to 15,000 feet and fly between 1 and 3 hours.

Rolls Royce confirmed the Trent 1000 engines are absolutely ready to fly. During the flight Rolls Royce in the UK will receive near real time engine health telemetry during the flight over Washington.

747-8F
The engines were run for the first time yesterday. One was started from the APU, with the others taking air through the cross bleed system. The engines will undergo a tech inspection before restart.

(information courtesy of Flight)

posted on Dec, 9 2009 @ 01:19 PM
link   
Update 4- 787
Boeing confirmed start of Final Gauntlet testing Tuesday night. It`s expected to last two or three days. The first portion tricks the aircraft into thinking it`s flying, and recreates the first flight. The second portion creates failure modes, and sees how the aircraft reacts. Engineers were surprised at how difficult it was to trick the aircraft into thinking it was airborne.

(flight)

posted on Dec, 9 2009 @ 06:17 PM
link   
I am probably going to lose my internet connection soon at least for a little while. I`ll try to get to the library to get online when I can to update things. They`re closed weekends though so if you are interested be patient and I`ll update when I can.

posted on Dec, 10 2009 @ 10:20 AM
link   
Yeah, please do that. Thumbs up for your info!

Originally posted by iamsupermanv2
does this have some meaning? or is it just a boom in first flights?

Not really since all 4(5 minus the Pak-Fa) are entirely different aircraft. One could probably argue though that getting the A400M or the 787 into the air first has a connotation of prestige, but surely neither company will let their schedules get compromised by that thought.

Though I think I read a while ago that the cold, thick winter air gives a small advantage in low level responsiveness.

posted on Dec, 10 2009 @ 09:57 PM
link   

Boeing 787 clears 2 more hurdles

SEATTLE — Boeing Co. says it has completed "final gauntlet" testing on its first 787 jetliner and verified the success of fixes it made to a structural problem, two important steps before the new plane makes its first flight.

Scott Fancher, vice president and general manager of the 787 program, said Thursday that two days of gauntlet testing checked out all the airplane systems, such as avionics, hydraulics and electrical, to ensure they are ready for flight.

Boeing earlier reinforced weak points near the area where the wings attach to the fuselage, then conducted a so-called static test — essentially bending the wings — to test the repairs. Fancher said Thursday that Boeing has completed its analysis of that static test and called it successful.

Spokeswoman Yvonne Leach says Boeing still anticipates a first flight before year's end but must complete several more steps, including final flight readiness reviews and taxi testing.

www.google.com...

In other news, the A400M flies in 5 hours... Airbus will be steaming it life on this website www.a400m.com... from 9AM GMT+1.

[edit on 10/12/2009 by C0bzz]

posted on Dec, 10 2009 @ 10:59 PM
link   
Update 5- Boeing 787

Final Gauntlet is done, engineers give a Go for first flight. High speed taxi tests, final paperwork reviews, and the FAA Experimental certification will begin as early as Saturday, Dec 12. First flight is set for Tuesday, December 15th, 10am PST. This looks like it, time for her to fly.

Trailing/leading edge stress analysis will continue up until the 150% stress test in March.

posted on Dec, 10 2009 @ 11:16 PM
link   
Competitors or not, hope this goes well for Boeing, they need it.

posted on Dec, 10 2009 @ 11:30 PM
link   
reply to post by wingnut01

Here`s hoping both go well. The A400M is in a good bit of trouble too, but if they get her in the air here in the next few hours, that will go a long way to helping. Same with the 787.

posted on Dec, 11 2009 @ 01:00 AM
link   
That is indeed a fair point. I'm sure to keep you posted and those of us interested will definately be watching.

posted on Dec, 11 2009 @ 01:35 AM
link   

I`m so mad that I don`t have a computer right now. This is like my dream time with all these first flights, being streamed live no less, AND I CAN`T WATCH THEM!

posted on Dec, 11 2009 @ 02:01 AM
link   
A400M streaming live.

www.airbus.com...

[edit on 11/12/2009 by C0bzz]

posted on Dec, 11 2009 @ 02:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by Zaphod58

I`m so mad that I don`t have a computer right now. This is like my dream time with all these first flights, being streamed live no less, AND I CAN`T WATCH THEM!

I know the feeling, I'm at work so can't stream anything whatsoever. I'm relying on your updates here lol.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join