It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Who are you boycotting this holiday season?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 5 2009 @ 06:32 PM
link   
None of the major corporations are getting a cent out of me this year. They didn't last year or the year before either. Not that I have much money to spend on holiday shopping this year but what little I do have is going to the little guys. The small family owned business that are in obscure locations because they can't afford a better location. There is an item I want for personal use that I can only purchase at either Best Buy or Radio Shack but its going to have to wait until after the new year. I am more than willing to sacrifice that small luxury than see one cent of mine perpetuate the that the economy is recovering when people are going deeper in debt spending money they don't have.
So who is with me?

posted on Dec, 5 2009 @ 06:35 PM
link   
I boycott Walmart, ... not just for the holidays, ... but forever.

Yet everyone is so content to spend their money there, .. yeah they save a few bucks, ... while they help sell their kid's futures down the toilet.

Ignorant Americans.

posted on Dec, 5 2009 @ 06:42 PM
link   
So true. I'm broke and the savings would be nice but the long term effects aren't worth it. Plus I don't trust anything made in China.

posted on Dec, 5 2009 @ 06:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by calstorm
There is an item I want for personal use that I can only purchase at either Best Buy or Radio Shack but its going to have to wait until after the new year.

So instead of handing over your money to the 'big corporations' for Christmas, you're going to make them wait a week until the new year comes around.

Boy, that'll really teach them. Way to make them sweat.

Consider this:

Do you have a bank account? Do you own a car? Do you own a TV? Do you own a cell phone? Do you own a computer? Do you have Internet? Do you have electricity? Do you buy food?

Hell, do you have a job?

No matter where you turn, no matter what you do, no matter how you live your life, all of it benefits big corporations. They own EVERYTHING - including you.

Unless you are prepared to drop everything and go live with the trees, don't even bother pretending you are boycotting big corporations, because everyone who has tried carried on just like you until the moment they became personally inconvenienced, then suddenly their "cause" became what their material goods never did: expendable.

[edit on 12/5/09 by NovusOrdoMundi]

posted on Dec, 5 2009 @ 07:00 PM
link   
I am boycotting the diamond industry, Jimmy Choo, and all cars over $10k.

I am not boycotting Victorias Secret.

posted on Dec, 5 2009 @ 07:03 PM
link   
reply to post by calstorm

China - and credit card companies -- No Charging Nothing for Xmas --

posted on Dec, 5 2009 @ 07:12 PM
link   
reply to post by NovusOrdoMundi

Are you saying I should recycle either? I believe in doing what I can even if if it on the larger scale of things it makes little difference. But my post is manly about the lies of economic recovery and not the corporations themselves.

posted on Dec, 5 2009 @ 07:37 PM
link   

You said you wouldn't give a cent to major corporations, then said you would wait until after the new year.

So once January 1st comes around your little boycott is over.

I'm not saying don't stand up for what you believe in even if the odds seem insurmountable. I'm saying don't contradict yourself. Either boycott them or don't.

[edit on 12/5/09 by NovusOrdoMundi]

posted on Dec, 5 2009 @ 07:46 PM
link   
Boycotting Israel or anything made in Israel for this reason

Israel closes sole oil and gas terminal on Gaza border

posted on Dec, 5 2009 @ 08:03 PM
link   
The people boycotting China are having an effect.
I researched the Port of Los Angeles database yesterday to verify my visual perception that shipping is down still about 20 percent from last year. The key month was october being the highest in the year, but by just 10 percent above average monthly level.
The export loaded containers have been increasing slightly which could be a small sign of recovery nationally. We'll see, if it continues to trend higher.

posted on Dec, 5 2009 @ 08:27 PM
link   
Like a few others, I've already boycotted anything made in China for a few years now and it will continue on through Christmas as well.
If it means I'll spending more then so be it. Some things are more important than money in the long term.

posted on Dec, 5 2009 @ 08:33 PM
link   
As Flighty and others stated, I also have started reading labels on products and will no longer buy goods made, bottled, canned or produced in China, as I believe that one or two contaminations are an accident, and three, four or a dozen are a pattern.

That is not a holiday boycott, however, but an ongoing one. In regard to holiday boycott, or......... dare I say it??? CHRISTMAS boycotts...... well, I'm boycotting virtually every single chain/major business in the U.S. and elsewhere. Why??? simple. There are none of them here on this little rock.

Sometimes geography makes things easy.

edit to add: I belive I might send my family their own homegrown coconut. Now I ask you, who doesn't LOVE a coconut?

[edit on 5/12/09 by argentus]

posted on Dec, 5 2009 @ 08:50 PM
link   

Who are you boycotting this holiday season?

I am boycotting HIGH prices.
I am boycotting HUGE markups.
I am boycotting anything that is not a INSANE deal.

posted on Dec, 5 2009 @ 09:27 PM
link   

My money for gifts this Christmas is going directly to the people that made the item. I am a metalsmith and I appreciate it when people buy my stuff.

I'm buying everything either in co-op galleries or art and craft markets.

Support your Local Craftsman/Artisan. Buy American!

Support the American Crafts Council

www.craftcouncil.org...

posted on Dec, 5 2009 @ 09:52 PM
link   
I'm permanently boycotting Wal-Mart and the diamond industry, but nothing specific for Christmas. I usually won't do seasonal boycotts, but I did boycott Yum! Brands restaurants(Taco Bell, KFC, Pizza Hut, etc..) for a few years.

posted on Dec, 5 2009 @ 11:29 PM
link   
For the most part, I'm boycotting baseless, self righteous boycotts that amount to a fart in a windstorm.

You see, they call it a moral victory because they didn't actually win, but they somehow feel better about themselves tho they actually did nothing.

So, you're going to pay more for the same item simply because it comes from a local mom & pop store. hmm, ok, so who exactly were you planning on actually hurting?

posted on Dec, 6 2009 @ 12:31 AM
link   
I am boycotting any company using the term "holidays" vs "Christmas".

In fact I've gone local with just about every gift, too. Art prints, toys, sports gear.

posted on Dec, 6 2009 @ 01:00 AM
link   
reply to post by whaaa

I think that is a wonderful idea.

posted on Dec, 6 2009 @ 01:09 AM
link   

I am boycotting companies that make products and services that I cannot afford, kitty litter, and condoms.

posted on Dec, 6 2009 @ 02:06 AM
link   
I'm boycotting the e-club and 7 day store. They're not going to be the fuel for my alcohol related loneliness during Xmas. The Japanese locals will be the ones who get my money...and awkward conversations in broken Japanese and english as I pound $6 beers from sun up to sun down.

Originally posted by schrodingers dog
I am not boycotting Victorias Secret.

Agreed.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join