It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Saudis 'in a panic mode' as Shi'ite rebels move North from Yemen

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 5 2009 @ 01:59 AM
link   

www.worldtribune.com

Jordan has sent several hundred troops from its special operations forces to help the Saudi military with its many Shi'ite units contain the Yemeni Shi'ite rebellion, which has spread deep into the Arab kingdom.

Western intelligence sources said Jordan's King Abdullah sent the SOF units to Saudi Arabia in November 2009. The sources said the Jordanian king was acting on an urgent request from his Saudi counterpart for elite soldiers who could hunt for Iranian-backed Shi'ite...
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Dec, 5 2009 @ 01:59 AM
link   
To my surprise, I haven't heard much about this in the mainstream media. The rebels have started moving north into Saudi-Arabia, which lacks the military capabilities to prevent them from moving any further.

And this is where it starts. In the coming weeks the situation might become very unstable as well as the fluctuations on the oil market. Iran is the instigator behind all of this and its tentacles are spreading rapidly throughout the Middle-East.

In my humble opinion, this is only a prelude to the real thing that is yet to come.

www.worldtribune.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Dec, 5 2009 @ 02:14 AM
link   
The link you gave was blocked by McAfee security ,

.....anyway , this is a serious development in this part of
the world , and Iran is getting offside of more and more neighbours.
The Saudi's will not allow this situation to continue , and help
will arrive to assist them evict the extremists .

posted on Dec, 5 2009 @ 02:45 AM
link   
reply to post by radarloveguy

Friday, December 4, 2009 INTELLIGENCE BRIEFING

LONDON — Jordan has sent several hundred troops from its special operations forces to help the Saudi military with its many Shi'ite units contain the Yemeni Shi'ite rebellion, which has spread deep into the Arab kingdom. ShareThis

Western intelligence sources said Jordan's King Abdullah sent the SOF units to Saudi Arabia in November 2009. The sources said the Jordanian king was acting on an urgent request from his Saudi counterpart for elite soldiers who could hunt for Iranian-backed Shi'ite rebels in both Saudi Arabia and northern Yemen.

"The Saudis are in a panic mode and don't have the troops or capabilities to stop the Yemeni Shi'ites," an intelligence source said.

The sources said Riyad's need for foreign forces stemmed from a refusal by Shi'ite-dominated Saudi units to fight the Believing Youth. They said this has led to the dismantling of several local security units familiar with the Saudi-Yemeni border.

Saudi officials have not confirmed the assertion of the Western intelligence sources. But on Nov. 27, Saudi Deputy Defense Minister Prince Khaled Bin Sultan acknowledged that Yemeni Shi'ite fighters held at least two southern Saudi villages for nearly a month. Later, officials said 15,000 Saudis had been evacuated from their homes.

The sources said Jordan has been the only Arab League state to respond to Saudi appeals for help in fighting the Iranian-backed Believing Youth movement. Believing Youth has been fighting an intermittent war in northern Yemen since 2004, but in November 2009 invaded southern Saudi Arabia and captured several border villages.

"The Saudi air force has been heavily bombing villages inside Yemen, but this has not made a dent in the capabilities of the Shi'ite rebels," the source said. "They have been well-trained by Iran and Hizbullah and have moved steadily north in Saudi Arabia."

The Saudi military has focused on trying to impose a blockade on northern Yemen. The Royal Saudi Naval Forces has bolstered its presence with at least four fast attack craft and missile boats and reported the destruction of weapons smuggling ships from neighboring Somalia.

"The infiltrating terrorists intended to attack our nation when they encroached upon our territories and terrorized our peaceful people," King Abdullah said in an address to his troops. "Undeterred by religion or ethical values, the intruders shed the blood of the people."

[edit on 5-12-2009 by star in a jar]

[edit on 5-12-2009 by star in a jar]

posted on Dec, 5 2009 @ 03:24 AM
link   
Perhaps the importance of containment of Iran is becoming more apparent to the Saudis.

However, I do not see any troops from Saudi Arabia or any other area coming to join the coalition.

I suppose it's our job to guard them, too.

posted on Dec, 5 2009 @ 04:00 AM
link   
Maybe now we can better understand persistent news about unjust treatment of women in Saudi Arabia, preparing us for the "inevitable" change of the regime in this part of the world.

posted on Dec, 5 2009 @ 04:07 AM
link   
reply to post by Mdv2

"Iran is the instigator"?

No. The instigator is the fact that the majority of Arab states rather brutally repress their Shia minorities (or in the case of Saddam-era Iraq, their shia majorities).

Blaming the Iranians for a Yemeni Shia revolt is kind of like blaming communists for the Warsaw Ghetto uprising.

posted on Dec, 5 2009 @ 04:29 AM
link   
So the Shi'ite’s hitting the fan in Saudi then…
Sorry, someone was going to say it eventually.

posted on Dec, 5 2009 @ 05:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by TheWalkingFox
reply to post by Mdv2

"Iran is the instigator"?

No. The instigator is the fact that the majority of Arab states rather brutally repress their Shia minorities (or in the case of Saddam-era Iraq, their shia majorities).

Blaming the Iranians for a Yemeni Shia revolt is kind of like blaming communists for the Warsaw Ghetto uprising.

They have their proxy armies in Yemen, Lebanon and the Palestinian territories, which they make to launch attacks on sovereign nations. So yes, Iran is the instigator of this violence. You don't seriously think that the Iranian regime cares that much about Shia minorities in other countries? They simply don't want Western control of the region, which is why they challenge Western interests (Saudi-Arabia) and enrich uranium for nuclear weapons. Iran suppresses its own people, so I don't buy the stories that Iran is merely helping these poor rebels in their struggle for freedom.

posted on Dec, 5 2009 @ 07:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by defcon5
So the Shi'ite’s hitting the fan in Saudi then…

Shi'ite!!! You beat me to it!

On Topic:

I can't take this at face value... I want some proof that Iran is behind this. Not just hear say. We should be questioning anything that gives another country the excuse to invade Iran.

It wasn't that long ago many were hoodwinked by the Iraq WMD fiasco.

IRM

posted on Dec, 5 2009 @ 07:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by DangerDeath
Maybe now we can better understand persistent news about unjust treatment of women in Saudi Arabia, preparing us for the "inevitable" change of the regime in this part of the world.

OH FOR GOD'S SAKE!!
NO ONE IS TREATING THEM BADLY...I AM WOMAN ,I KNOW...
ofcourse except for some illiterate people which exist in every society..

[edit on 5-12-2009 by zilch]

posted on Dec, 5 2009 @ 07:43 AM
link   
What utter tripe! Saudi Arabia has a mutual defense pact with the United States of America and we have enough military troops in Saudi Arabia and nearby Kuwait to easily deal with any encroachments on Saudi Arabia from Yemen.

The only reason Saudi Arabia would ask for Jordanian Troops is if they can be had cheaper than ours.

America has become nothing but one vast mercenary enterprise in case anyone hasn’t noticed the Military bases we keep in 52 different nations and the fact that we currently carry out military operations in Iraq, Afghanistan, Pakistan, Somalia and Columbia just to name a few. Have Drones will travel.

As Saudi Arabia proved all so well in the First Gulf War its privileged sons love to dress up in uniform and carry guns for photo opportunities but really dislike the notion of anyone shooting at them!

This is just more Western Propaganda aimed at Iran and the reality is that Saudi Arabia practices an even more rigorous form of Sharia Law than the Iranians do. The Sunnis and the Shiites rarely get along and honestly I do believe the Yemenis rebels would have more interest in attacking their own government than the Saudis.

People really need to see these kinds of nonsense stories for what they are…nonsense!

posted on Dec, 5 2009 @ 07:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by Jim Scott

I suppose it's our job to guard them, too.

DON'T BOTHER...
I THINK USA WOULD PROTECT LIKE THEY DID AFGHANISTAN AND IRAQ...

posted on Dec, 5 2009 @ 08:37 AM
link   
reply to post by Mdv2

The whole article does not name Iran even once, how did you come to the conclusion Iran is the instigator? Maybe USA/UK/Israel is the instigator.

posted on Dec, 5 2009 @ 08:44 AM
link   
reply to post by December_Rain

It does actually name Iran but in such a way that it is obviously bias..

posted on Dec, 5 2009 @ 09:23 AM
link   
reply to post by December_Rain

It doesn't?

Western intelligence sources said Jordan's King Abdullah sent the SOF units to Saudi Arabia in November 2009. The sources said the Jordanian king was acting on an urgent request from his Saudi counterpart for elite soldiers who could hunt for Iranian-backed Shi'ite rebels in both Saudi Arabia and northern Yemen.

Surely Uncle Sam would jump in if necessary, yet the situation would still become very unstable. Afghanistan and Iraq learned us once again how difficult the fight against insurgents is.

Yemeni president says Iran funding Shiite rebels

Yemeni president Ali Abdullah Saleh accused Shiite northern rebels of taking money from Iranians and of plotting to create a Shiite zone along the Saudi borders.

"These are outlaws and terrorists... who are in the pay of foreign forces and execute a foreign agenda," Saleh said, according to a text issued on Monday by state news agency Saba of a television interview.

"Their finances come from certain Iranian dignatories... but we do not accuse the government," he said, citing documents seized and confessions of rebels captured during the fighting between the army and the rebels, which has been raging since early August.

Source

Knowing that Iran funds other terrorist networks, it is far from unthinkable that Saleh's accusation contains a truth.

[edit on 5-12-2009 by Mdv2]

posted on Dec, 5 2009 @ 12:45 PM
link   
reply to post by Mdv2

Ah I actually read the article from star in a jar.

posted on Dec, 5 2009 @ 01:12 PM
link   
Ok, so the rather nasty and brutal Yemeni government oppresses people (but it's OK cos he has US backing) and so the people start to fight back. The Saudis then pitch in and send in the bombers to flatten some Yemeni villages (wonder who asked them to do that?) and, understandably, those Yemeni rebels then decide to fight the Saudis too.

The Saudis, being a bunch of rich pussies with a far from stellar human rights record (but it's ok cos they are our friends - apparently), then bleat about it and call for help. Ok, so what about all that advanced military hardware they keep buying? Surely they have enough firepower to flatten a bunch of rag-tag rebels?
Or maybe they only buy all that military hardware to earn the bribes that go along with it, not to actually use the hardware.

posted on Dec, 5 2009 @ 01:37 PM
link   
These groups have been operating in this area for years. With Jordanian speacial forces moving into Saudi Arabia to deal with these "Iranian Backed" forces makes this one smell like a long planned operation which will eventually lead to an attack on Iran itself. When the attack does come, AND IT WILL, there will be troops in place to help protect the oil that comes from Saudi Arabia. But these Special Forces from Jordan will not be able to stop the many incoming missles that Iran will surely fire at the many oil facilities that are in the area. Yea the more I read the more it makes this whole thing smells like a pre-planned operation with a much wider purpose than simply stopping some rebels groups that have already been in the area for years.

[edit on 5-12-2009 by kenton1234]

posted on Dec, 5 2009 @ 01:38 PM
link   
I can say with some certainty, that Yemen is not a 'bad' country, far from it. It has its' issues the same as everyone else. This is more about poverty, and what drives people to fight for a chance to get out of poverty.

The rebels in question are from an extremely poor background. They see the scumbags in the House of Saud and UAE, blowing their money-loads constantly on pointless claptrap and young blonde-boys. If you were poor and saw people wasting oil-wealth just across the border, and you also knew that these people paid your opressors, what would you do?

This is a much more complex situation than the media would have you believe.

The Para.

new topics

top topics

join