It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Have you been a victim of the "Dictionary Police"?

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 5 2009 @ 07:40 PM
link   
YES! the dictionary police... I know them well

I used to be a member of a student website about 5 years ago, and literally every single thread would descend into an all out war of 'you did not put that comma in the correct place, so you are clearly retarded and what you say no longer has any merit', waged by pretentious teenagers... its probably the only time in my entire life that some random internet person/people has made me want to stab myself in the eye. Repeatedly.

Nowadays I just find it funny because unless the person is illiterate, its such a irrelevant thing to bring up. And I always get the impression it gets brought up when someone is a little emotionally retarded and doesnt know how to argue properly/express their frustration. Its about on par with saying 'your gay', or the old classic 'thats not what your mum said last night' one

posted on Dec, 7 2009 @ 07:56 AM
link   
I cant stand slang, grammar or spelling mistakes. How does an adult still have spelling errors with basic grammar skills that were learned in elementary school?! I just don't get it. I learned the uses for they're, there and their when I was like 8! I have always been accused of being the grammar/spelling Nazi
Little mistakes dont bother me it's the obvious ones that IMO adults or even HS students should get by now. To and too are another set that drive me nuts with the misuse. For me if a thread has bad spelling and grammar I wont read it or even take the OP seriously. I know that's bad but that's how I feel. If you can't proof read to make sure it's right then why should I have to suffer through trying to translate what is being said?

posted on Dec, 7 2009 @ 09:21 AM
link   
reply to post by mblahnikluver

I echo your sentiments ... I mean ...

ah cant stan' slang, grammar o' spellin' mistakes. How does an adult still haf spellin' erro's wif basic grammar skills thet were larned in elementary skoo?! Fry mah hide! ah jest doesn't git it. ah larned th' uses fo' they're, thar an' their when ah was like 8! Fry mah hide! ah have allus been accused of bein' th' grammar/spellin' Nazi Li'l mistakes dont bother me it's th' obvious ones thet IMO adults o' even HS students sh'd git by now. To an' too is t'other set thet drive me nuts wif th' misuse. Fo' me eff'n a thread has bad spellin' an' grammar ah wont read it o' even take th' OP seriously. ah knows thass bad but thass how ah feel, ah reckon. Eff'n yo' kin't proof read t'make sho'nuff it's right then whuffo' sh'd ah have t'suffer through tryin' t'translate whut is bein' said?

<< 1  2   >>

join