It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Have you been a victim of the "Dictionary Police"?

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 4 2009 @ 11:00 AM
link   
Funny. I used to belong to another forum, long gone and unrelated to anything here. There was a guy there I struck up a friendship with- highly intelligent, well-versed in all manner of subjects. If he was spelling for brownies, he couldn't earn a smell. A lot of it was typo related. His brain worked a lot faster than his fingers and he'd just be in a hurry to get that next thought out.

Me? I can make a pot of coffee and wind my watch between thoughts, so that isn't a problem.

Then you have the multi-lingual folks who are participating in what for them is a non-native language. I can't even express how much that impresses me. I know enough French and German to recognize what language it is when I hear it, but get past, "Good day, nice hat. Where's the library?". And I'm done.

I remember taking German in college and a couple of the students were Iranian. It amazed me that someone could learn another foreign language being taught in yet another foreign language.

So as far as I'm concerned, as long as someone is able to communicate their thoughts in a manner I can understand, the tiny language rule infractions are irrelevant. It's not like I'm interviewing them for a job writing copy.

posted on Dec, 4 2009 @ 11:01 AM
link   
I haven't been a victim of the dictionary police but suspect I should be by my not using commas or proper grammer but hey all I can do is all I can do.
If someone did say something i would most likely ignore it anyways.

posted on Dec, 4 2009 @ 11:18 AM
link   
reply to post by Haydn_17

There are people here that couldn't spell cat if you spotted them the c and the t. But I wouldn't call them on it. Heck, my user name is mispelled. I didn't check for typos before submitting. My bad. I guess that makes me an idiot to some. Pointing out bad grammer and spelling is just an easy way to take potshots. If the person has a valid point to make it doesn't matter to me. If a person is that anal they have bigger problems.

posted on Dec, 4 2009 @ 11:24 AM
link   
reply to post by berenike

The whole sentence was deliberate. Good job.

You get the prize of the day! A grammatically correct star!

Looks like the grammar police are out and in full effect...

posted on Dec, 4 2009 @ 11:28 AM
link   
reply to post by Walkswithfish

Thank you . . . you just earned a special place in my book of special people.

posted on Dec, 4 2009 @ 11:43 AM
link   
Can we throw teh Dictionary/Grammar Police in teh same burning pit as teh Search Nazis?

Flagged OP !

[edit on 4-12-2009 by Signals]

posted on Dec, 4 2009 @ 11:45 AM
link   

Wow! It's amazing to me that there is a group of people that go around on the 'net just to point out people's spelling and grammar mistakes! Why would anyone waster their time? This must be another sign that we're in the end times.

I often do notice people's mistakes, but I try to just ignore them. One never knows if the person that they're correcting even speaks English as a first language.

posted on Dec, 4 2009 @ 11:50 AM
link   
reply to post by yeahright

I remember taking German in college and a couple of the students were Iranian. It amazed me that someone could learn another foreign language being taught in yet another foreign language.

I've actually experienced this first hand! When I came to Germany, the Bundesamt had me take a German class; just like every other immigrant. Since there are people from all over the world in one class, the class is just done in German. It's called "total immersion" or something like that.

At first I was scared, not knowing how the class would be, since I spoke hardly any German. It actually went pretty good though. I think it's just a testament to the human mind and its ability to do what it needs to do to get things done.

posted on Dec, 4 2009 @ 12:30 PM
link   

LOL,

My friend the type of warrior you are describing is know as The Grammarian.

Grammarian usually has little to contribute to a discussion and possesses few effective weapons. To compensate, he will point out minor errors in spelling and grammar. Because of Grammarian's obvious weakness most Warriors ignore him.

To see the various warriors and there abilities go to
Flame Warriors
(I suggest the drop down box, or you will miss some)

Have yourself a good laugh (I guarantee you will laugh as you read the definitions and recognize your peers and even yourself)

There is a thread here that deals with the identification of the various internet warriors, and which one you are.

P.S. I try to spell check on the posting screen, but I must admit that if I try a couple times and the red line is still there. I post anyway, in defiance of the Grammarian

[edit on 12/4/2009 by AlienChaser]

posted on Dec, 4 2009 @ 12:32 PM
link   
Its called trolling.
Especially if it is being done publicly. It doesn't take much effort to send someone a U2U.

If that is all they can attack you on. Though there are some knee jerk reactions to the decimation of the English language. And it seems that professors at the Universities these days are having heart attacks over it. But a spelling error or two is nothing to get your panties in a bunch over.

onless it iz a prublim licke theese than I mae haff to sae sumthing.

I won't say anything but what really drives me crazy is when there is the world's longest runon sentence and no punctuation or grammer is used whatsoever and you just want to scream use punctuation how did you miss that YEAR in class because how did you ever get through elementary school without using a single period or comma or even if it is a second language if you learned to type this much then you had to of seen a comma or period somewhere and asked questions thank you

posted on Dec, 4 2009 @ 12:35 PM
link   
I usually only point it out if somebody is actively insulting me and misspelling something in the process. Especially when people call me a "moran," say that I'm "retarted," or say to me "your stupid!"

posted on Dec, 4 2009 @ 12:43 PM
link   
I ignore these people. If that's all they have for debating they have already lost the argument. Not worth the time.

posted on Dec, 4 2009 @ 12:49 PM
link   
i herd that OP liekz mudkipez?

i wuz wandoring if mawds nu ov teh dikehtinary powleese.

posted on Dec, 4 2009 @ 01:37 PM
link   
reply to post by AlienChaser

I actually love that!

posted on Dec, 4 2009 @ 02:03 PM
link   
reply to post by intrepid

See I am my own spelling/syntax nazi ...

I type up my post quickly, cause people need to know my thoughts immediately, not a moment is to be lost for it is depriving the universe of my wizdumz ...

And then I have to go back and edit it 5-10 times.

Of course, because I'm smart, I trick everyone by erasing the previous edit tags and they all think I've erred but once.

All this btw, is tragically true.

posted on Dec, 4 2009 @ 02:25 PM
link   

99% of the time when someone starts cracking on grammar or spelling it is because they have been backed into a corner in an argument or debate, so they resort to ad hominem attacks, it has always been like that. That is when you know you are winning
, or at least getting under their skin. Sometimes if that isn't the case it is just because that person may be immature or just a A-Hole. Although some members may be sincere in their correction (and thus nicer about pointing it out) the majority do it for the aforementioned reasons, lol it is funny really and I wouldn't sweat it either.

posted on Dec, 4 2009 @ 02:45 PM
link   
reply to post by mattifikation

I love when people tell me "your stupid" and think it hurts my feelings. Cracks me up every time.

I usually notice them, but I think that I've only ever called anyone on it here at ATS once. That once happened to be a public school teacher preaching as to why homeschooled children are at such a huge disadvantage in life. I disagreed (being a kid who was homeschooled) and the preaching continued throughout the thread. The whole time the teacher was expounding on the virtues of public schooling they were making hideous spelling and grammar mistakes. So I mentioned it.

Otherwise, I tend to not dare. I know how many typos and mistakes I can be prone to making myself. Commas are my enemies. I am horrible about putting them in all the right places at all times.

I don't have nearly as big a problem with letting it go on forums and such compared to how hard I find it to let the same mistakes slide when they are coming home on a regular basis from my daughter's teacher, though. That is why I no longer own a single red pen. After my daughter's first week of kindergarten my husband rounded up and confiscated every single one and has refused to return them to me for the past few years.

Take care,
Cindi

posted on Dec, 4 2009 @ 02:58 PM
link   
Based on what i have seen in my internet days pointing out anothers spelling and english skills is only used in two ways.
like this:
Poster A: You see we have pictures from space htat show the earth is not flat
Poster B: you are wrong!!!! htat is spelled that.

Or people who just really have nothing to say and feel the need to post something

posted on Dec, 4 2009 @ 03:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by Revolution-2012
i herd that OP liekz mudkipez?

i wuz wandoring if mawds nu ov teh dikehtinary powleese.

Ahhh what?

I really don't understand what you typed.

And no I aint being a dick. I really dont understand it..

posted on Dec, 4 2009 @ 08:21 PM
link   

Ah the Grammar Nazi, the bane of my online existence.

If it weren't for Firefox's spell check program I would look like a complete idiot. (although, I do a pretty good job of looking like a complete idiot on my own)

I figure, if you can understand the point I am trying to make then it's not a real problem how things are spelled or whether or not I use the correct word.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join