It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Can we get rid of all the people complaining?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 4 2009 @ 12:37 AM
link   
yes yes i am aware that by making a thread complaining about those threads i am in fact making a thread i want to get rid off. its a vicious circle.

anyway, just browsing the recent posts i found at least 3 about how ats is terrible and needs to be changed. no one is forcing them to stay. This isnt even about free speech. its just about wasting time. If you haven't got a thread to post that is well researched or at least intriguing in someway. why not just not post anything. no need to tell other people off for posting bad things.

just set an example by leading

www.abovetopsecret.com...

and yes im aware that this thread is one of those threads blah blah blah. but im posting it in the board questions so hopefully a site admin will take a look at those threads and see what changes could be made to stop people from complaining. or atleast stop posting about how much they dont like ats.

posted on Dec, 4 2009 @ 12:41 AM
link   
reply to post by Doc Tesla

You don't get it. I'm not saying ATS is terrible or needs to change. I never stated that or implied that. I clearly stated the purpose of my thread (twice in the original post), and it has everything to do with the people posting and their motivations for posting.

posted on Dec, 4 2009 @ 12:52 AM
link   
Exactamuundo.

Give that man a ceegar.

Hello, make your point and move on.

Ignore-is the way to go!

C'mon everyone S&F

I call for 200 flags for this thread.

Show me the flags!

posted on Dec, 4 2009 @ 01:08 AM
link   

Oh, you mean on ATS ... I thought you meant in general.

Either way, that's a toughie.

posted on Dec, 4 2009 @ 02:23 AM
link   
It is getting old.

The"you all suck" threads seem to be pretty popular here recently.

Most of them seem to be focusing on a central theme.

"I'm right and we should ban whoever disagrees with me for the good of the site."

It's a bit annoying really.

I say we ban everyone who agrees with me. They're clearly not in their right minds.

posted on Dec, 4 2009 @ 02:27 AM
link   
I'm experiencing a horrible feeling of deja vous.

How about we just take everyone out back and beat them till they stop whining? This is.....please make it stop...

posted on Dec, 4 2009 @ 02:36 AM
link   
Forget it.

Sarcasm fails me.

Like she said...make it stop.

[edit on 4-12-2009 by badgerprints]

posted on Dec, 4 2009 @ 03:12 AM
link   
Yeah and then lets get rid of lawyers, the Jews, the communists, the trade union workers, those who think critically and then everyone who doesn't agree with me.

Okay; I called in Goodwin's law through humour a bit there but I'm serious about the lawyers

Originally posted by Doc Tesla
just set an example by leading

Thanks for these 2 threads (The first 2 you posted) S+F for each of them.

We need thorough scepticism, evidence and the odd break from these boards. I'd much rather have free thinkers amok on these boards than those who wish to give advise to charlatans.

If it is too much for you just now take a break. It's part of the charm of ATS that the variety of people engage in dialogue. I'm a thoroughbred sceptic - but I'm here to find out things I don't know about and appreciate that sometimes it takes people far removed from myself to teach me that.

Best of luck.

-m0r

XL5

posted on Dec, 4 2009 @ 04:48 AM
link   
Maybe its just me, but it seems alot of people from the UK are pro PC, pro control (police), pro govt and so quick to shout NO SOUP FOR YOU! Its like they look for key words (women, religion, racisim) and then scan for anything to become PC about.

Maybe when threads about how terrible men are come along, we should all become offended and cry out that the OP is sexist toward men. Then call for the banning to commence when we don't get our way.

Sure not everyone from the UK is like that as they see all the PC "stuff" and choose to go against the flow. Just seems like a trend.

The internet may be the only free place left.

posted on Dec, 4 2009 @ 05:20 AM
link   
Gawd! What's your deal, man? How come everyone is trying to get rid of me just because I complain? Just what exactly is your problem with complaint? You know what I hate? I hate that no one ever listens to my very real complaints and I especially hate that no one ever listens to my complaining that no one ever listens to my very real complaints. I mean, its bad enough that no one ever listens to my complaints, now I have to listen to how you and people like you want to get rid of me just because I complain! What the heck for? It's not like you listen to me anyway.

You know what else I hate? I hate that stupid eye crud you get when you first wake up in the morning and I especially hate it when you have like a cold or the flu, then that eye crud is damn near unbearable! Another thing I hate is flatulence, I mean, what that heck is that about? It can be pretty damn embarrassing when you have to cut one when your in the middle of a crowd or in your bosses offices getting called on the carpet for some stupid little transgression like wasting paper clips to make wire stick figures, or shooting rubber bands at your work mates. That's another thing I hate, bosses who think just because they're your supervisors they are your superiors. Yeah right!

You know what else I hate? I hate pigeons! What a stupid bird that is! Always flapping around where they're not wanted and strutting their heads about like they're some kind of special bird or something. Ha! There are far better birds then pigeons on this planet, like eagles and hawks and...well, even sparrows are better than pigeons. I hate cats too! Stupid aloof animals are what they are. Well, not necessarily stupid but they're certainly aloof and that can be pretty annoying when you're constantly opening up smelly cans of processed glop and bowls of milk for them.

You know what else I hate? I hate broccoli! What kind of stupid vegetable is that, and why do so many "gourmet" restaurants insist on serving it with that gawd awful tarty hollendaise sauce! I even hate the stupid spelling of hollendaise sauce that my stupid spell check doesn't even know is a word. And that's another thing I hate! I hate how stupid my stupid spell check can be. Why the heck should I constantly be adding a new word to my spell check just because it doesn't know that it is a word because when my spell check has that stupid red dotted line that appears when I know I spelled the word correctly, then I have to dig out my dictionary or Google the word just to make sure I am right and my stupid spell check is wrong! Don't you hate that? I know I do.

You know another thing I hate? Wait...this isn't the complainers thread? Oh yeah, right. It's the anti-complainers thread. Ooops! Oh yeah, that's another thing I hate is when somebody goes way off topic on a thread just yammering away about something totally non related to the issue brought up by the original poster and just going on and on and on in all different sorts of direction as if they're some sort of genius or something...but, I digress. I guess the real question I have here is what is wrong with a little complaining now and then? I mean what is so damn perfect about tolerance or acceptance? I mean, I don't mind it so much when people tolerate or accept me, but its not like I am lavished with tolerance and acceptance, you know? Nobody ever listens to me, and they certainly don't listen to me when I complain, so what damn difference does it make if I or others complain? Sheesh!

posted on Dec, 4 2009 @ 05:49 AM
link   
I say we take em behind the old shed, .... and say " hey, look at all those other ATS'ers out there, playing in the field" before discharging a .22 caliber slug in the back of their head.

I"m kidding, I don't think they should be banned, or even stopped from complaining, ... forums are exactly that, .... forum's for free speech, .... even if the very speech disagree's with the idea of free speech to begin with...... the very free speech which made their speech possible.

now I'm confusing myself.

posted on Dec, 4 2009 @ 06:37 AM
link   

Can we gat rid of the threads complaining about the threads that complain.

posted on Dec, 4 2009 @ 06:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by atlasastro

Can we gat rid of the threads complaining about the threads that complain.

No,
Those we bronze and use for bookends.

posted on Dec, 4 2009 @ 08:25 AM
link   
I'm adding my .02 only because 1) it's in the General forum (thank you), 2) I've run a site roughly this size & 3) because amongst the complaints I've read, I've not seen any discussion of the fiscal & administrative realities & ramifications of them. That is, it may feel good to us to rant & get it all out, but what is the cost to the site & the community for doing so?

Admins walk a tightrope between being accused of, or perceived as, being heavy-handed & censoring dissent on one hand, and protecting the integrity & fiscal soundness of the operation on the other. Its a delicate balancing act to keep members happy & at the same time be cognizant & protective of the perception all this "free speech" gives to new persons, potential advertisers & professional content providers.

For ex, I lurked here for a good 3 yrs before I registered. When I "came back" recently I was taken aback by all the complaints. My first thought was "What the heck is going on? What happened?" And quite frankly, had I not had a long familiarity with ATS, I would have left & not come back. First impressions are everything & being greeting by a host of complaints is not a good first impression.

ATS is not a non-profit & they don't charge for membership; so I suspect that the funds to run this site come from advertising & promotion. And no one (except a competitor) wants to advertise on a site where members are tearing each other down &/or complaining about the site itself. It's just not good business. Would you buy a product that had loads of bad reviews?

More "professional" or widely known content providers, don't want their work to be associated with or tainted by, lots of complaints. If you were a Peabody winner, would you promote your work on a site with pages of complaints about the site & its members?

And on the other side, who wants to join a community like that? Imagine the great contributions we're all missing because critical thinkers are being met with complaints & bugging out from the getgo.

I'm rambling, but my point is that dirty laundry shouldn't be aired in public (so to speak). & that we shouldn't "cut off our nose to spite our face". ATS is a fab site, with fab & not so fab members, but we would all be the less for it were it to close down or cut back on bandwidth. I'm not being doom & gloom here; just trying to provide a reminder that ATS supports us & all the public complaints don't go far in returning the favor.

I'm not suggesting that the complaints will just stop, nor that they necessarily should. Only that I think there may be a better way (so to speak). Maybe ATS could consider having a "complaint board" (in this General section) & move the existing threads back here. Or even rename this board to "Feedback & Questions" & move them to this board. And/but I would further reco that these threads not ever make it to the front page. If members want to complain, they can do it back here in one place where the people with the authority to address it can find it quickly. (No censorship or dissent quashing required.) Likewise, if someone wants to read complaints they can still do so. But new members, media pros & advertisers won't be blindsided by the negativity on entry to the site.

MHO of course & shutting up now .. time to hit the rack ;-)
Cheers!

posted on Dec, 4 2009 @ 10:11 AM
link   
The fact that there are so many threads about complaints towards ATS is indicative of many things.

It means that people DO actually listen to the issues and sometimes staff welcome the opinions so they can change things for the better.

It also means that things are "normal". There will always be unhappy people complaining and complaining about the complainers.

Get used to it and help to either put people straight about things or ignore pointless complaints.

Seems some people just HAVE to complain so as to make their own little worlds a little better. Can't blame them for trying. After all....ATS is all about complaining (no truth/lies/lack of info etc,etc).

I'm more annoyed at the multiple threads that pop up when a new story surfaces or threads are closed because of the individual decision of a bias staff member (no names or threads).

If life suited everyone there would be no ATS.

posted on Dec, 4 2009 @ 10:17 AM
link   
One of the ways of changing things was addressed by one of the Mods a while back, and IMO should be required reading:
Thread

Don't moan, don't bitch, don't get on a soapbox about someones thread or post that someone else may or may not believe.

Do your own thing, and if you really feel the need to help change things, follow the guidelines in the thread linked above.

posted on Dec, 4 2009 @ 01:04 PM
link   
reply to post by budski

The ATS message is always this -
Debate the post and NOT the poster.
Courtesy is Mandatory
Deny Ignorance.

quote from budskis link.

see the thing is all 3 of those things are dead. ATS has changed recently because it had become more mainstream now. especially since conspiracies are the becoming the new "it" but that doesnt mean we have to put up with people tell SO or the others how their site should be run.

they are the same people who walk into a restaurant and immediately want to see the boss and tell him how to run his business.

i just think that if you have a problem with ATS leave. Not make threads pointing out what ATS should do.

one of the threads i linked the poster suggested that we ban everyone who didnt agree with her views because her views and morals were the correct ones.

deny ignorance indeed.

posted on Dec, 4 2009 @ 01:19 PM
link   
I've got an idea, ...

How about starting a new forum, the "Complaints About ATS" forum.

This way threads that want to complain about ATS can be moved there and everybody else can avoid seeing all those threads/posts by not going to that forum.

[edit on 12/4/2009 by Keyhole]

posted on Dec, 4 2009 @ 02:49 PM
link   

Moderator Note

Please do not create threads that call out other members and threads. If you have a complaint you can bring that forth in the thread itself or using the Complaint-Form towards staff or by posting in the ATS Issues Thread.

Thanks for your understanding and sorry for the inconvinience.

Thread closed

[edit on 4-12-2009 by Skyfloating]

top topics

join