It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Does where you come from, dictate the way you speak/argue/debate, (post) on ATS?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 2 2009 @ 08:01 PM
link   
Hey guys, hope all is well…please join, star and flag, if you like….

OK, here goes….many of you know OT….I’ve been on the great ATS for a few years.

One thing I noticed, after doing some research, really after a couple of years…I began to notice a trend. Here is what I found.

I lived in the state of Michigan (in the USA) for seven yrs…I no longer do…but an interesting thing happened, while on ATS.

I began to look into the areas of folks that either agreed with OT, or respected the OT, even if they disagreed with me….and I found that many of them were from the general same geographic area I was from…I learned this from in-thread conversation, or profile information.

Have others seen/experienced this as well?
If so, wonder why?
Could readers like the way a posters writes be a dialect thing only?

Thx guys!!!

OT

posted on Dec, 2 2009 @ 08:06 PM
link   
hmmmmmm. Maybe that's why everyone thinks I'm a whackamole -- nobody from here except me!

Where I was born, people spat for emphasis. In general, a poor debating technique, however acceptible within that culture.

I think that's an interesting question OT. Kind of makes me wonder where The Colonel hails from. He, too, speaks in third person. Not a criticism, just an observation. I'll have to find that out.

cheers!

edit to add: well, that was Kernel Korn I was referring to, and his stated location is "the South".

Now that I have that out of my system, and I've thought about your OP a little more, I think you might be onto something here. Certainly there are similarities in speech patterns within various geographical regions, but arguing/debate styles? Maybe. Interesting to ponder. You're not talking about similar ideologies, are you......... you're talking about actual style of debate, right?

[edit on 2/12/09 by argentus]

posted on Dec, 2 2009 @ 08:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by argentus
......I think that's an interesting question OT. Kind of makes me wonder where The Colonel hails from. He, too, speaks in third person. Not a criticism, just an observation. I'll have to find that out.

cheers!

Ahhh, it doesn't mean much...just having fun. Thank you for the post, star and flag friend....let's see what others think, ok?

posted on Dec, 2 2009 @ 08:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by argentus
.......You're not talking about similar ideologies, are you......... you're talking about actual style of debate, right?

I don't think this issue is discrete, maybe it is both and all of the above...but I guess my question is ATS dialog/debating....even some hard core atheists, from that area signed up as a respected foe....I dunno, it is worth the discussion...I hope at least...we'll see?

posted on Dec, 2 2009 @ 08:32 PM
link   
Where a person lives dictates much about every aspect of that person.
The region where one is is a brushstroke on a canvas or a chisel against a stone.
It is a great shaper of one's psyche.

posted on Dec, 2 2009 @ 08:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by dragonsmusic
Where a person lives ......It is a great shaper of one's psyche.

Yes, thank you for that!

My question relates the the intuitiveness of others, does the region you are from give you a leg up on the same area folks, who may disagree with you, on things?

Is this discussion/subject....in the subconscious, I wonder?

posted on Dec, 2 2009 @ 08:40 PM
link   
reply to post by OldThinker

I began to look into the areas of folks that either agreed with OT, or respected the OT, even if they disagreed with me….and I found that many of them were from the general same geographic area I was from…I learned this from in-thread conversation, or profile information.

Have others seen/experienced this as well?
If so, wonder why?
Could readers like the way a posters writes be a dialect thing only?

I believe that there is truth in your supposition. The area that a person lives in, determines dialect, cultural attitudes,language and acceptance of practices. Those are factors that help determine how we view others, rightly or wrongly. In addition, language differences can cause confusion, and even an understanding of what a person says.

For instance, in some areas of the country, those "sweet" items we can buy from a bakery are called "buns". Other areas call them sweet rolls, while buns are what some areas of the country call those rolls that hamburgers and hotdogs are placed in.

Hoagies, Submarines, and Heroes are different words for those sandwiches which Subway sells. Heroes, of course has another meaning to most, etc.

We tend to relate to people that share common experiences, and the verbal and written language are certainly a part of that.

posted on Dec, 2 2009 @ 09:08 PM
link   
reply to post by ProfEmeritus

Hey Prof, long time no here...hope all is well...

sweet....roll....post....thx for not submarining.

You make great points, thx for the affirmation!

OT

posted on Dec, 2 2009 @ 09:13 PM
link   

Hey Prof, long time no here...hope all is well...

I'm fine. Thanks for asking though. I had taken off about 2 months from ATS. I think everyone should do that for awhile, to get another perspective on issues. Sometimes the trolls get out of hand.

Nice to hear from you again also.

posted on Dec, 2 2009 @ 09:44 PM
link   
No offense but I think that is a very obvious question and maybe you already made up your mind and say rhetorically!

That is like saying 'do past experiences infulence who we are'.

Of course it makes a difference, because say two people live in a poor country, are use to hard work just to get food, walk to the well every day have to grow own vegetables... whereas we go to the store and buy things and are surrounded by electronics to do work for us. That alone will have a different mindset.

Then of course customs, communities, local history etc all influence us. Two people from the same town could be almost identical, or complete opposite, so it does not mean it is a deciding factor. Like all things just an influence.

Yeah I too notice a lot of Scandinavians no matter where you go are the same, think the same, same experiences growing up (hiking and hunting and fishing og all) and for some reason we are all obsessed with human rights!

posted on Dec, 2 2009 @ 09:49 PM
link   

I've always thought that geographical prejudices play a part in how some people treat each other as well. For example, if someone was raised to believe or is surrounded by a culture that believes that all Southerners are backward, uneducated, rednecks, then that prejudice may determine the level of respect that given to that poster's opinions. The same can be said for prejudice against any group of people in the US or anywhere in the world for that matter.

posted on Dec, 2 2009 @ 09:56 PM
link   

You know more about what your opponent might use in a debate when you know of or live in a person's region; so you might have a leg up on them so to speak. But the reverse is also true.
And you might say that that comes from your intuition.
You could just as easily say that it comes from the subconscious mind though.

posted on Dec, 2 2009 @ 10:26 PM
link   
I believe our geographic locations around the globe do color the way we communicate on the forum.

I'm from Aus, and I find that many of the Australians on the ATS board are generally agreeable with one another. We can be very forward/frank in our mannerisms and language - and this can sometimes upset Americans because we can come across as rude... but we aren't! We just have less time for small talk & nonsense!

The Poms, Scots and Irish understand us though because we are all pretty much the same.

IRM

posted on Dec, 2 2009 @ 10:49 PM
link   

I dunno. Without looking at my profile, or the place that I recorded where I am at, do you have any idea at all of where I have come from, where I am at or where I have been during my life? Hint. Just saying, U.S.A. won't cut it. lol. Cuz, well, it wouldn't be the truth.

posted on Dec, 3 2009 @ 05:20 AM
link   
reply to post by InfaRedMan

I love on American tv programs they have Aussies Scots Irish and they have subtitles for them!!

posted on Dec, 3 2009 @ 05:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by Ridhya
reply to post by InfaRedMan

I love on American tv programs they have Aussies Scots Irish and they have subtitles for them!!

Hey Ridhya!
I'm in Scotland, and I've seen them put subtitles on Scottish TV shows (Like Rab C.Nesbitt) so that the English viewers can understand!!!

Yes, Seriously!

G

posted on Dec, 3 2009 @ 06:00 AM
link   
reply to post by Ridhya

The customs, etc is rhertorical of course...

My question is the way/style/form of posting on ATS...are we more influencial/persuasive to those in the same geographical area?

For example all know I'm a Christian...every once and a while I'll come across a militant atheist, the kind that pulls no punches with others...who happens to live in the same general area of the world I do...many times they'll be-friend me.

I wonder if it is the way i talk or the sytle of my debate?

posted on Dec, 3 2009 @ 06:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by kyred

I dunno. Without looking at my profile, or the place that I recorded where I am at, do you have any idea at all of where I have come from, where I am at or where I have been during my life? Hint. Just saying, U.S.A. won't cut it. lol. Cuz, well, it wouldn't be the truth.

Of course not...you learn these things by talking with people. I did say Michigan, not USA right friend?

posted on Dec, 3 2009 @ 11:52 PM
link   

Ah I think I get what you're saying, like are we more 'attracted' to same regional people.

I think so, like we tend to have a bias towards those we share something with, sometimes even friend someone BECAUSE they are from the same place, even if you are not too similar.

I notice travelling too, you will meet someone from the same country even, and have a 'rapport' with them, you know? It also works for groups, religions, etc like think of ATS as a group. Say you meet someone on vacation bring up something paranormal, find out they are a ATS member. I am sure you will spend more time talking than if they werent!

new topics

top topics

join