It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Psychedelic Ayahuasca now legal in the United States

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 2 2009 @ 12:43 PM
link   
Ladies and gentlemen, an amazing thing has happened in the United States. Ayahuasca has now been legalized for spiritual purposes in Oregon. This is a landmark for how the federal court system will view the use of psychedelics for its original purpose...spiritualism.

Good news for Oregon members of the Santo Daime religious movement. On March 18, 2009, a federal district court ruled in favor of the Santo Daime branch, that uses a '___'-containing brew (ayahuasca) in their ceremonies.

Here is the original link
www.azarius.net...

And here are a couple of others in support of that information.

content.usatoday.com...

www.nationalgeographic.com...

I figured I would bring this information forward for fellow ATS'ers to see what their opinions may be. Enjoy!!!

posted on Dec, 2 2009 @ 12:57 PM
link   
Hmm i agree with this stuff being used for spiritualism but i have a feeling its going to get mixed up with religion now. Its a very powerful mixture.

[edit on 2-12-2009 by VitalOverdose]

posted on Dec, 2 2009 @ 01:15 PM
link   
Can you die from overdose of this drug?

posted on Dec, 2 2009 @ 01:29 PM
link   
Does that mean it will be distributed in some way shape or form? Or will people have to acquire it at their own risk?

posted on Dec, 2 2009 @ 01:39 PM
link   
reply to post by EvolvedMinistry

so, what about all the people who will want this to mostly just smoke themselves retarded?

yes, i know its not likely smoked, but the meaning is there.

posted on Dec, 2 2009 @ 01:44 PM
link   
So the next problem is: define spiritual.

Some will want to claim that some sort of organized religion or group is required for validation, some will argue that it is at its essence a purely individual thing.

The former will win the legal argument as being more beneficial in a business and enforcement sense, while the latter will win the logic argument.

posted on Dec, 2 2009 @ 01:46 PM
link   
reply to post by CoffinFeeder

Im sure there will be checks in place, Ayahuasca is a very powerful hallucinogen that can benefit anyone if used properly. And no you cannot overdose from it, one of the side effects from drinking the brew is vomiting...it is part of the ritual,folks say it feels as if they are cleansing themselves and is a key part to the experience. Some people simply make '___' from the ingredients and smoke it,but this is not what it's talking about and can't really be called a ritual in the sense that the native peoples have done for thousands of years. Usually they will play instruments and chant aswell to invoke the spirits that you will meet etc. In any case, good decision. This is not something a 17 year old wanting to get *high* will have access to i imagine,rightfully so.

posted on Dec, 2 2009 @ 02:23 PM
link   
How strange... I was just browsing through ATS and somehow what came to mind was Terence McKenna.

Scrolling down the page, suddenly I see this post about ayahuasca. Just one synchronicity among dozens I'm having every day now...

posted on Dec, 2 2009 @ 02:26 PM
link   
This stuff is not recreational, that's the problem with youngsters these days. It's all about a spiritual journey with a proper shaman guide. You leave this world, and come back with a profound, life changing experience. So as far as spiritual uses, I see no problem.

posted on Dec, 2 2009 @ 02:30 PM
link   
I read awhile back, I believe it was Daniel Pinchbeck's 'Breaking open the Head', something about ayahuasca being used under supervision of doctors in Mexico (I think-it has been a few years) as medication for addiction purposes? That it was supposed to eliminate addiction withdrawal symptoms? Or was that something else? I don't remember!

posted on Dec, 2 2009 @ 02:38 PM
link   
reply to post by illusioned2

That may be iboga you are talking about. Any introspective type hallucinogen can help people overcome addiction though. Iboga is the main one used for things like alcohol or heroin addiction, they usually have quite a few sessions with it.

posted on Dec, 2 2009 @ 02:43 PM
link   
I have a serious question with the substance being called either a psychedelic or hallucinegen... when it is more properly an ethenogen or in easy going thought, a phanerothyme

Re: Ayahuasca.

psychedelic is :
www.merriam-webster.com...

hallucination is :
www.merriam-webster.com...

Santo Daime, Uniao do Vegetal, two 'religious' entities are/were granted the use of ayahuasca (in imported tea form) as part of their "sincere religious practices"/ceremonies.

www.csp.org...

there are Ayahuasca Forums on the web but even they are not very current with this particular info of the recent ORegon decision

posted on Dec, 2 2009 @ 02:51 PM
link   
reply to post by St Udio

Yes the correct term is an entheogen, but it is hallucinogenic. Entheogen describes the spiritual aspect. But not everyone is spiritual.

posted on Dec, 2 2009 @ 02:57 PM
link   
You know, someone is gonna go playing with this stuff for recreation, do something stupid. AND ruin it for those who would like to go on a spiritual journey. A proper shaman is needed, someone to watch you, and guide you. But someone's gonna ruin it for us all.

posted on Dec, 2 2009 @ 03:09 PM
link   
I remember many years ago reading books by Carlos Castenada ,
is this the same stuff ? Yaqui Indians /magic mushrooms ?

...am very concerned that irresponsible use ,
will see people driving around on that stuff !!!!!!!?

[edit on 2-12-2009 by radarloveguy]

posted on Dec, 2 2009 @ 03:18 PM
link   
I don't think this is really a "party drug" anyway.

Good for Oregon.

Even if this kind of stuff sometimes results in accidents, so does alcohol and alcohol is still legal. The difference is that entheogens like ayahuasca offer ENORMOUS benefit to those who approach them with respect. When they say a psychadelic substance like this is "spiritual," that isn't a joke. It isn't like when you go to church, that kind of "spiritual." It's a kind of, blow-your-mind-open-and-make-you-realize-wtf-you're-really-doing-here kind of "spiritual." All I can say is don't knock this kind of stuff unless you've tried it. It would simply be a blessing if more people were allowed to experience these things, but many established powers wouldn't like that for a whole host of reasons, from medical to political.

posted on Dec, 2 2009 @ 03:32 PM
link   
it would be interesting to know what actually happens in the brain, while on this trip. do multiple nuerons fire off in the brain? does a part of the brain not normally used too much, start firing up at incredible rates? does the entire nervous system of the body intensify? does part of the brain go into a slowed down sort of communication, but stay locally intense? does the hyperthalmus change or react in a measurable way? do levels of seratonin change? does blood in the brain need more oxygen or is there a change in gas levels of the blood at all? does body temperture change? are the visual cones inside the wall of the eye changed to produce hallucinations? or is it strictly the visual center of the brain?

posted on Dec, 2 2009 @ 03:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by Conclusion

I do not wish to get into the details but yes, ingestion in the traditional manner can have fatal consequences in the form of extremely high blood pressure to the extent that death or permanent brain damage comes in the form of a stroke.

It is not an overdose that can be fatal but rather recent diet before ingestion (bananas = death for instance)

This is the stuff amazonian Amerindian shamans have the greatest respect for because death can be the reward of the foolhardy or ignorant.

posted on Dec, 2 2009 @ 03:48 PM
link   
reply to post by SmokeJaguar67

Originally posted by Conclusion

The drug consists of a natural MAOI (metabolic inhibitor) and '___'.

'___' is naturally-occurring in the human body, and while there may be an LD50, I'm not aware of that being a real issue. It's also the active chemical that makes you "trip." But usually your body metabolizes it very quickly so it has no effect, so you must take a metabolic inhibitor with it.

However, as with any MAOI, even medically-prescribed ones, you have to be really careful what you eat, as the above poster pointed out. I think cheese is another food that can kill you if you've taken an MAOI. It basically inhibits your metabolism, so certain chemicals are not metabolized immediately like they should be, and instead linger around in your systems and can cause some major problems.

[edit on 2-12-2009 by bsbray11]

posted on Dec, 2 2009 @ 04:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by Solomons
reply to post by St Udio

Yes the correct term is an entheogen, but it is hallucinogenic. Entheogen describes the spiritual aspect. But not everyone is spiritual.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Well--- the label 'psychedelic' puts the ethenogen into the ~recreational drug~ category...iow 'party on'

Take note of the response by the wise person right after your post...

PontiacWarrior wrote~ You know, someone is gonna go playing with this stuff for recreation, do something stupid. AND ruin it for those who would like to go on a spiritual journey. A proper shaman is needed, someone to watch you, and guide you. But someone's gonna ruin it for us all.

actually the 'helper' needs to be administered as is a sacrement, in a recognized 'place of worship'... the group can act as a shaman for the rite...
if there is indeed someone taking their 'first communion'

thanks,

<<   2  3 >>

join