It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Google to limit free news access

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 2 2009 @ 08:06 AM
link   

Google to limit free news access

news.bbc.co.uk

Newspaper publishers will now be able to set a limit on the number of free news articles people can read through Google, the company has announced.

The concession follows claims from some media companies that the search engine is profiting from online news pages.

Users who click on more than five articles in a day may be routed to payment or registration pages.

This will only affect websites that currently charge for content.

This is because Google searches frequently link directl
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Dec, 2 2009 @ 08:06 AM
link   
I'm not completely against this, in fact I could care less at this.

Where this might be going is another issue, but it's okay for now.

This follows this

Rupert the Idiot Murdoch: 'There's no such thing as a free news story'

His company's customers were "smart enough" to know they had to pay for news, Murdoch told a US Federal Trade Commission workshop on the future of journalism in the internet age.
Two men heckled Murdoch as he ended his speech, shouting from the audience: "Do you agree that Obama is a racist?"

www.guardian.co.uk...

Rupert is an idiot, he obviously doesn't believe in ad dollars.

I do find it funny however that the most laughed at news station is the one spearheading the entire "pay for faux news", and by that I mean fox.com or I believe he owns WSJ if i'mt not mistaken.

Unfortunately however he does have many readers/viewers.

news.bbc.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Dec, 2 2009 @ 08:14 AM
link   
Anything which makes the mainstream media less accessible and less prevalent can only be a good thing.

Nobody is going to pay to read this garbage. Murdoch and the other handful of pigs who collude to control the media need to go down in order for a positive change to occur. One can only hope this is the beginning of the end for them.

[edit on 2-12-2009 by SphinxMontreal]

posted on Dec, 2 2009 @ 08:28 AM
link   
Well, if this happens, the people who use the Internet as their source of news will get blocked out like this and possibly form their own opinion about stuff instead of using the news as their opinion, besides, just use another search engine!

posted on Dec, 2 2009 @ 08:28 AM
link   
reply to post by SphinxMontreal

Actually Murdoch needs to hang around and rags like the New York Times need to go.

posted on Dec, 2 2009 @ 08:39 AM
link   
Very easy to circumvent I would of thought... They will probably be using tracking cookies or logging IP's... Prob the tracking cookie actually because multiple users can be behind a single IP... Both easy to get around.

posted on Dec, 2 2009 @ 08:48 AM
link   
reply to post by Now_Then

cookies are easy to get around, IP is not
even if you use a proxy IP it doesn't matter, your real IP can still be retrieved.

and proxy IPs are incredibly slow
it's almost 2010 now bud, programmers can get around Proxy IPs
it's really no big deal

Use a proxy IP, go to some IP tracking sites, some will give you the proxy IP and some will give you your real one

new topics

top topics

join