It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The relationship between DNA and the outside world.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 30 2009 @ 07:58 PM
link   

Now because this kinda thing happens on ATS alot, I ask please, dont comment in regard to that image at all, it was just inspiration.

So as I was StumbleUponing around the Internet this photo came up. Now photoshopped or not I noticed how perfectly the cats fur blended into the carpet. This got me thinking, what exactly is the mechanism that allows for a chameleons skin to adapt to its surroundings?

To word it differently; if its eyes are shut, or looking above, what is looking at the colors below him to allow him to blend in? How does its body know the colors of its surroundings?

As well, there are many other animals whos skin/fur has adapted to the color of its native area. What exactly prompts the adaptation?

Could a blind race of animals show the same adaptation? ( and for the sake of the discussion I'd like to omit the 'a blind race would go extinct' argument and anything like it )

posted on Nov, 30 2009 @ 09:11 PM
link   
reply to post by Renshin

That photo is super cool
I know you didn't want image comments, sorry.

Well I don't know much about the mechanisms of biological evolution or the chameleon effect so I can't help too much here. My gut instinct was to say it wouldn't matter if the eyes were closed as that wasn't the controlling factor in its evolution...

but your blind scenario is interesting. If all chameleons were blind would they evolve/adapt that ability?

posted on Dec, 1 2009 @ 02:07 PM
link   
Chameleons are neat but they are not anything spectacular when compared to the ultimate ninja of the animal kingdom.

I think, at least in the case of the octopus, that intelligence might be a factor in blending. The cool part is they can not only match the color of their surroundings but the texture as well.

I don't really know how a chameleon would do it, but perhaps they willingly match the color of their surroundings much like we would move a finger or a toe. They have pretty good eyes and lighting reflexes (sure they don't get around very quickly but anyone who has ever seen them eat knows how insanely fast they can be). I don't think I would be speculating too much to assume that they consciously match their environment.

[edit on 1-12-2009 by DaMod]

posted on Dec, 5 2009 @ 05:17 PM
link   
I'm just gonna bump this thread as I really am curious about this. Another example is the monarch butterfly, its adapted eyes on its wings, well eye shapes, I wonder, how the cells knew where to arrange themselfs, and if again, would a blind race of butterflys, that use perhaps ecolocation or something, show the same adaptation?

top topics

join