It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mother Gives Son Marijuana To Treat His Autism - ABC News

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 29 2009 @ 10:18 PM
link   
can medical marijuana help children with Autism ? this News report discusses one case and the parent of the child say's it saved her sons life.

[edit on 29-11-2009 by easynow]

posted on Nov, 29 2009 @ 10:40 PM
link   
reply to post by easynow

This is a tough one for me because I would never of even thought about giveing one of my children MJ.

I'm also not in that ladies position either, so to answer your question, Yes, it looks like it does help her son's autism, and I tend to agree with her and her attorney, It's time to study this and come up with some real answers.

The mere fact the kid went from 13 drugs to 3 in itself should warrant further study in my opinion. But I can see Big Pharma's not going to like the outcome.

posted on Nov, 29 2009 @ 11:45 PM
link   
reply to post by JohnnyR

thanks JohnnyR and good points you brought up

i was also surprised to hear about parents giving this to their children. it kinda freaked me out when i first seen the title of the video but after watching it , i was happy to see (according to his mother) the boy did have a substantial improvement in his condition or saved his life. if that's true then how can anyone in their right mind not see the potential this drug has for medical purposes ?

my cousin has suffered with cancer for years and i can honestly say he would have not made it threw what he did without it. i'm sure big pharma knows that it has helped many people and isn't gonna miss out on the money making opportunity. i think the reason this issue is being talked about so much in the news lately is because this will someday become the norm to prescribe it and they have to get everyone (the public) to accept it so they can promote and market it for sale. it will be interesting to see how this all play's out. thanks for the reply

[edit on 30-11-2009 by easynow]

posted on Nov, 30 2009 @ 12:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by JohnnyR
But I can see Big Pharma's not going to like the outcome.

No, they won't. That's why if it becomes legal, they will take control of the industry. Then they will put "additives" in it to make it "better".

Then we'll end up with new diseases to find cures for...

posted on Nov, 30 2009 @ 12:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by NuclearPaul

Originally posted by JohnnyR
But I can see Big Pharma's not going to like the outcome.

No, they won't. That's why if it becomes legal, they will take control of the industry. Then they will put "additives" in it to make it "better".

Then we'll end up with new diseases to find cures for...

Ah, but tis a plant

and there is lots of soil to be found

posted on Nov, 30 2009 @ 09:47 AM
link   
reply to post by NuclearPaul

NuclearPaul i will have to agree with you,

the drug companies are already positioning themselves to take control of this future industry...

Big Pharma Is in a Frenzy to Bring Cannabis-Based Medicines to Market

Big Pharma is busily applying for -- and has already received -- multiple patents for the medical properties of pot. These include patents for synthetic pot derivatives

www.alternet.org...

there can be no doubt that they will create new drugs with the marijuana and by adding and mixing different things together it could create some possibly dangerous products.

posted on Nov, 30 2009 @ 09:55 AM
link   
reply to post by easynow

Don't burn me for this but, if my kid had an illness that causes her distress or put her life in danger, and MJ could make her more comfortable in any way, I would give it as well.

It doesn't matter if the disease is cancer or ms or authism. The point is that these people are not living normal lives and are in discomfort because of their illness. If there is something that can help them feel less pain, regain their appetite or feel better in any way, and this substance isn't really harming them, then for god sakes why not give it to them? Why would anyone have a problem with that?
S and F for the vid

posted on Nov, 30 2009 @ 10:07 AM
link   
reply to post by easynow

Yip big pharma have already marketed synthetic thc. en.wikipedia.org... As for this, i think if it helps in anyway it should be commended and looked into further. If anything it is far safer than the usual copy and paste meds he would get.

posted on Nov, 30 2009 @ 10:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by GypsK
reply to post by easynow

Don't burn me for this but, if my kid had an illness that causes her distress or put her life in danger, and MJ could make her more comfortable in any way, I would give it as well.

It doesn't matter if the disease is cancer or ms or authism. The point is that these people are not living normal lives and are in discomfort because of their illness. If there is something that can help them feel less pain, regain their appetite or feel better in any way, and this substance isn't really harming them, then for god sakes why not give it to them? Why would anyone have a problem with that?
S and F for the vid

I wish more people could share your view. I have been living with Brain Cancer for the past 7 years with a constant threat of it returning at any point. I have had much radiotherapy and chemotherapy to keep the tumor at bay. In 2007 my Tumour did grow back as the most aggresive type. I was given a diagnosis of 12 months.

At the time I had heard of this reasearch. A trial carried out on the same type of Tumour i now have
news.bbc.co.uk...

unfortunately I live in the UK which has very strict rules regarding cannibis.So I would be in great risk from the Law if I were to have ingested cannibis in any form.

But when your given 12 months to live one may consider the risks worth it?. I couldn't possibly comment

posted on Nov, 30 2009 @ 10:50 AM
link   
As somebody who worked/works with autistic and down syndrome kids i can confidently state that while i have not given/encouraged whatever marijuana for any of my clients i can think of many clients that would benefit greatly from it. In my opinion, one plant that can replace most if not all of the medication they are currently on(i've seen a six year old taking more than adult recommended doses of anti-depressants and other behavior modifying pharmaceuticals) and if one so chooses could grow in the backyard.

i have seen families literally go into debt providing medications for their child, if this chemical cocktail could be replaced with one plant that could be grown in the backyard? Imagine the good that could do.

posted on Nov, 30 2009 @ 11:00 AM
link   
reply to post by GypsK

thanks for the reply GypsK , but why would i "burn you" for wanting to help a child ? i wouldn't do that and i agree with you that if there is something that can benefit a sick person then by all means , let a doctor prescribe it to help them !

i was just agreeing with NuclearPaul that big pharama will make new drugs with marijuana and since additives or other drugs have side affects the mixing of everything might be a bad thing. i don't see any problem with giving a patient the natural or unaltered product.

posted on Nov, 30 2009 @ 11:14 AM
link   
reply to post by Solomons

thanks Solomons and i agree with you , i don't have any problem with a doctor prescribing the natural product or a synthetic. the problem i see is the drug companies are going to start making all kinds of mixtures with different drugs. that could make people become dependent on things they don't really need.

posted on Nov, 30 2009 @ 12:57 PM
link   
I'm not sure how marihuana is supposed to help in case of autism. I can imagine the positive effects of drugs like MDMA, 4-FA or '___', but I can't imagine how marihuana can benefit

posted on Nov, 30 2009 @ 01:16 PM
link   
reply to post by PC equals Newspeak

did you watch the movie?

The son wasn't eating anymore and loosing to much weight till the point that his life was in danger. So the mom made him MJ brownies, which increased his appetite and he is now at a healty weight again. Also, he started speaking much more. see the vid

posted on Nov, 30 2009 @ 01:23 PM
link   
reply to post by woodwardjnr

I'm sorry to hear about your cancer, my father is going through almost the same thing. He had a tumor on his sinus and lost an eye from it already. They recently discovered that the cells entered his bloodstream so they can't cure it anymore, only try to keep it stable. last week they found cancer cells in both his lungs. No one knows how long he has.
In the mean time he had radiation and chemo, that's 4 weeks ago now but he still isn't eating. I have offered to get him MJ but he refuses.

I'm in Belgium and over here, if you are a cancer patient you can have medical mj from your oncologist, the legal way. They should implement that system everywhere imo.

That research link is interesting, I'm gonna show that to my father,thanks ,)

posted on Nov, 30 2009 @ 01:26 PM
link   

The son wasn't eating anymore and loosing to much weight till the point that his life was in danger. So the mom made him MJ brownies, which increased his appetite and he is now at a healty weight again. Also, he started speaking much more. see the vid

I saw the vid until about halfway through. I understand that the kid wouldn't eat, but I can imagine marihuana is remotely the best way to achieve that. Marihuana does tend to relax a person, but a drug like MDMA or 4-FA seems far better for someone with autism. It creates both an antidepressant effect and an increase of empathy, which can make communication with the autistic child and his parent easier. '___' in my opinion would be suitable only for adults with mild variations of autism, above-average intelligence and a fairly stable life as the psychedelic visuals can be disturbing.

posted on Nov, 30 2009 @ 01:26 PM
link   
reply to post by easynow

well, here on ATS you never know what will happen when the nay sayers come online

I think your right about mixing mj with other stuff, that could have serious side effects, like hppd. we are discussing that one in another thread

posted on Nov, 30 2009 @ 01:30 PM
link   
reply to post by PC equals Newspeak

I'd honestly have to say that I don't know much about these other drugs and personally I would be afraid to use them, let alone give them to a child. I consider mj a mild drug that doesn't do much harm in trying.
Don't know about the other ones, but for me personally, they are on my "don't do" list

posted on Nov, 30 2009 @ 01:43 PM
link   

I'd honestly have to say that I don't know much about these other drugs and personally I would be afraid to use them, let alone give them to a child.

You should never try any drugs unless you first learn about the potential benefits and the potential risks as well as how and when to use them. And yes, some drugs are very dangerous for kids, however others can have a very therapeutic effect.

I consider mj a mild drug that doesn't do much harm in trying.

It is more addictive than many other drugs, it has some effects on memory, it can increase paranoia, it can have some mild hallucinogenic effects and it effects communication. I'm not sure the upsides are equivalent with the downsides, especially when handing it to a child.

Don't know about the other ones, but for me personally, they are on my "don't do" list

One should always remember to about meth, heroin or crack. Those drugs seem to have the most devastaging effect on both mind and body and have ruined many lives. There are many other illegal drugs out there, however, that are score much better than marihuana in effect-to-risk coefficient.

posted on Nov, 30 2009 @ 02:46 PM
link   
MJ definitively helps Autism, particularly in the mild forms like the ADD classified variant it can give massive relief.

In reference to the person above who claims... Autistic patients would be better off with MDMA or '___', your viewing this from a perspective of Effect but in actuality this is not correct.

The two substances you mention in actuality '___' is very similar to Serotonin and MDMA causes an increase in Serotonin.

Autistic Children have been shown to have higher than normal Levels of Serotonin and it it believed this is partially the cause of the symptoms.

So most likely '___' or MDMA for an Autistic Person would NOT have the desired effect and perhaps greatly increase the symptoms.

It is not known 100% for sure, but many Cannabinoids have the effect of blocking various receptors sites including Serotonin, this is possibly why long term Cannabis use can cause depression and schizophrenia in some....

In English

Autism is in part caused by too much Serotonin, Lsd and MDA create Serotonin, Cannabinoids likely block it.

Then there is the aspect that unlike the other two

Anandamide THC produces its pleasurable effects by mimicking Anandamide A neurotransmitter that plays a role in pain, depression, appetite, memory, and fertility. Neither of the others do and there is simply know way to know yet what effect or role the actual action of MJ takes or if this is a factor in Autism as well but it very well might.

In any event as above, it is understandable by effect to Think that MDMA or '___' might help with Autism, but this is just not the case they would very likely both extend the symptoms THC and Cannabinoids are working in an entirely different way.

[edit on 30-11-2009 by mopusvindictus]

top topics

<<   2 >>

join