It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Bringing Home the Bacon, Dutch create Pork in a Petri Dish

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 29 2009 @ 02:51 PM
link   
SCIENTISTS have grown meat in the laboratory for the first time. Experts in Holland used cells from a live pig to replicate growth in a petri dish.

The advent of so-called “in-vitro” or cultured meat could reduce the billions of tons of greenhouse gases emitted each year by farm animals — if people are willing to eat it.

So far the scientists have not tasted it, but they believe the breakthrough could lead to sausages and other processed products being made from laboratory meat in as little as five years’ time.

They initially extracted cells from the muscle of a live pig. Called myoblasts, these cells are programmed to grow into muscle and repair damage in animals.

Here's the link.www.timesonline.co.uk...

Gross, but there's 6.5 billion of us angd growing. Much of the grain we produce goes to feeding animals, so....

I wonder what the label is going to say. "Laboratory Raised"

posted on Nov, 29 2009 @ 04:46 PM
link   
Great news for Atkins dieters, instant ham sandwich.
Well, with out the bread.
One cookies is off limits in the first day of the diet but any amount
of hog has got to be allowed.

posted on Nov, 29 2009 @ 05:41 PM
link   
This was on the news eariler, I was like what the heck is going on there with there experiments

posted on Nov, 29 2009 @ 05:43 PM
link   
I remember something about this earlier this year, they had a segment about it it on the Colbert show.

Shmeat. Heh heh.

posted on Nov, 29 2009 @ 06:22 PM
link   
No thanks. Sometimes science goes a little to far in my opinion.
They better have to mark the package with this stuff if they bring it out.
All in the name of the almighty corporation.
Jefferson is rolling in his grave.......

posted on Nov, 29 2009 @ 06:32 PM
link   
This is a great advancement. At the rate the population is growing, if it doesn't level out, eventually there will be significantly more people than there are farm animals. Laboratory grown meat is the way of the future. Not to mention the market for Laboratory grown eggs and milk, as well (though I imagine these would be a little harder to create).

posted on Nov, 29 2009 @ 06:32 PM
link   
reply to post by j2000

I realize people will be uneasy about new technological advances, but there are a lot of benefits to this, from an unlimited supply of meat, this will probably be cheaper than raising the actual animals, probably be healthier for you, less fat in it and all that, I doubt that this is done for 'the almighty corporation' I realize some profit will be made, but there are huge benefits to this technology. Plus PETA can lay off people who eat this

In Vitro meat Article

posted on Nov, 29 2009 @ 06:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by j2000
No thanks. Sometimes science goes a little to far in my opinion.
They better have to mark the package with this stuff if they bring it out.
All in the name of the almighty corporation.
Jefferson is rolling in his grave.......

Why exactly is it going too far? You get all the nutrition and taste of a piece of meat, without having to raise and slaughter an animal.

posted on Nov, 29 2009 @ 06:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by JumpyTheorist
reply to post by j2000

I realize people will be uneasy about new technological advances, but there are a lot of benefits to this, from an unlimited supply of meat, this will probably be cheaper than raising the actual animals, probably be healthier for you, less fat in it and all that, I doubt that this is done for 'the almighty corporation' I realize some profit will be made, but there are huge benefits to this technology. Plus PETA can lay off people who eat this

In Vitro meat Article

I've come to the conclusion that PETA isn't about the animals, it's about being self-righteous and seeing themselves as better than everyone else. Therefore, I'm sure PETA will see something wrong with this.

[edit on 11/29/2009 by LiquidLight]

posted on Nov, 29 2009 @ 06:37 PM
link   
I agree, this is really a very logical choice, I think this will be debated and protested in the future, people saying the exact same thing, but technologies like this can and will be world changing. Completely right about PETA, they will see something wrong with this, look for opposition from the meat industry too.

[edit on 29-11-2009 by JumpyTheorist]

posted on Nov, 29 2009 @ 06:48 PM
link   
reply to post by JumpyTheorist

Thanks for the IVM article.

Although, being a small rancher I do think there will always be a market for free range, grass or grain feed meat. Ain't nothing like the real thing.

But the market will drive it. It'll be Europe first for sure, probably horse meat or something, then the Japanese will perfect it.

Plus, we're going to want some meat on our journey across the stars.

[edit on 29-11-2009 by wylee]

posted on Nov, 29 2009 @ 06:54 PM
link   
Can I eat it if i am vegetarian can no animal has been killed?

posted on Nov, 29 2009 @ 07:01 PM
link   
Just like all processed foods, this is sure to have major health repercussion. Sorry, I like my food natural and organic. Its hard enough to get that. Stop messing with my food people!

posted on Nov, 29 2009 @ 07:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by purplemer
Can I eat it if i am vegetarian can no animal has been killed?

I suppose that depends on the reasons you're a vegetarian. If it's purely humanitarian reasons, then I think most vegetarians of this type wouldn't have a problem with it.

If you're a vegetarian for health reasons, then it gets more complicated.

posted on Nov, 29 2009 @ 07:42 PM
link   
Hey. You know what this methodology is like?

Stem cells.

You know what could solve a ton of health and hunger problems?

Stem cells.

On the other hand, we don't need more modified food. Ever. That includes modified dairy cows and modified soybeans.

Hence why being veggie or vegan doesn't solve half our problems.

posted on Nov, 29 2009 @ 09:36 PM
link   
reply to post by ravenshadow13

Sorry. Isa ignorant. Could you explain how stem cells will end world hunger. Sounds awesome, I just haven't connected food production into the theory.

I'm going to get me some new teef. Whhooo weee

posted on Nov, 30 2009 @ 10:48 AM
link   
Well, I have a few opinions on this.

First, I'm sure PETA is happy about this one :/.

Second, shouldn't they be trying this on Organ tissue? You know like human organ tissue?

When they successfully create a functioning pancreas et al, then I will be impressed.

[edit on 30-11-2009 by DaMod]

posted on Nov, 30 2009 @ 01:16 PM
link   
reply to post by DaMod

This is essentially an offshoot of that technology, they have already grown organs and human tissues in the same way, so I guess this tech could help solve the world hunger problem and help medicine, imagine an unlimited supply of spare parts

Nat Geo Article

posted on Nov, 30 2009 @ 03:00 PM
link   
reply to post by JumpyTheorist

Now that is impressive!

2nd line.

posted on Dec, 3 2009 @ 09:50 AM
link   
I fiugred it out myself.

This pork has been reported as having the consistency of SOGGY PORK. Barf.

Here'a link to a John Stewart Clip.
We DId It.
www.thedailyshow.com...

new topics

top topics

join