It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Swiss voters favour minaret ban: exit polls

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 29 2009 @ 09:25 AM
link   

Swiss voters favour minaret ban: exit polls

www.google.com

GENEVA — Voters in a referendum on Sunday voted in favour of imposing a blanket ban on the building of minarets in Switzerland, public television reported, citing exit polls.

With ballot-counting still underway, the exit polls suggested that the proposal -- put forth by far-right politicians -- enjoyed around 59 percent support.

Prior to the referendum, opinion polls indicated that more Swiss would oppose rather than support the ban.

Earliest results after polls closed at mid-day (1100 GMT) showed that at least four cantons -- all in German-speaking Switzerland -- want a ban on mina
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Nov, 29 2009 @ 09:25 AM
link   
Well this has been building for a few months. I see nothing wrong with the general referendum. If the endogenous populace choose not to allow the relative newcomers to change the sky line that's their right.

If the recent immigrants choose not to acclimate that's also their right. It will of course become a political football as time passes.

www.google.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 29-11-2009 by SLAYER69]

posted on Nov, 29 2009 @ 09:26 AM
link   

The Swiss are voting in a referendum on whether to ban the building of minarets in Switzerland, proposed by the right-wing Swiss People's Party. Follow us on twitter

posted on Nov, 29 2009 @ 09:45 AM
link   
Well I admit they can hide a RPG-7 under one of those minarets and no one know until they whipped it out... But come on... How many RPG-7 carrying Muslim women are there in Switzerland?

posted on Nov, 29 2009 @ 11:51 AM
link   
And so the anti - islamification has begun, Europe is slowly waking up, at last.

posted on Nov, 29 2009 @ 12:11 PM
link   
reply to post by Haydn_17

I'm not sure if it can be classified as that.

How about the Swiss being Pro-Swiss?

posted on Nov, 29 2009 @ 12:19 PM
link   

There are around 400,000 Muslims in Switzerland and out of an estimated 200 – mostly modest – prayer-halls there are just four with a minaret. The “Turkish Cultural Circle” at Wangen-bei-Olten is one of them. The struggle for planning permission for the minaret here took many years and involved a series of violent attacks on the mosque.

www.euronews.net...

Would a Muslim country allow steeples with crosses across their landscape?

posted on Nov, 29 2009 @ 12:35 PM
link   
From Source:

Having won a double majority -- both in terms of cantons and absolute numbers, the initiative will now be inscribed in the country's constitution

The People Have Spoken...

I really hope the days of PC are indeed gone...I remeber our college gym being shut down a few hours a day to accomodate muslim women, as they felt wearing a veil made them stick out.

Ya Think...

It kinda goes back to the have your cake and eat it too...apparently settling peacefully in another country isn't enough.

posted on Nov, 29 2009 @ 01:41 PM
link   
Source:

"I think that Muslims in Switzerland, and those who live in the European Union, have a lot of work to do in communication to show their real face of tolerance and cohabitation of Islam," said Saad Eddine Othmani.

Indeed, a long way to go, a lot of work to be done to show Europeans that Muslims can contain their jehadist tradition and actually be the religion of peace!

Also

min·a·ret (mn-rt) n. A tall slender tower attached to a mosque, having one or more projecting balconies from which a muezzin summons the people to prayer.

Having spent over a year in a Muslim city, I know how it feels to be awoken early every morning to the call of prayer and then hearing the broken amplified voice of the muessin 4 more times during the day.

IMHO, you really don't want minarets in your neighborhood!

[edit on 29/11/09 by plumranch]

posted on Nov, 29 2009 @ 02:13 PM
link   
Switzerland is hardly a progressive country, that they are choosing to suppress the free expression of religious practice is no surprise. This is a country, after all that didn't afford women the right to vote until 1971!

posted on Nov, 29 2009 @ 03:01 PM
link   
To me this is just democracy at work. there was a ballot and the populous has chosen. yes sad for the muslims i agree, but muslims seem to think that they have an allah given right to move into an area and dominate it

the people of Switzerland obviously don't want to change that quickly.

posted on Nov, 29 2009 @ 04:07 PM
link   
i agree, democracy at work. Switserland is a country where vital decissions get taken by popular referenda, every citizen gets to vote, on a majority vote. You can't get any more democratic than that.

I hope this is the beginning of people in europe standing up to the muslim invasion.

Respect for Switserland, not only for this decision, but for being the most democratic country in the world!
And most of all for accepting the will of the people without andy pc bs afterwards. That would have been a little different in other countries around the world no?

posted on Nov, 29 2009 @ 04:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by McFlemish
I hope this is the beginning of people in europe standing up to the muslim invasion.

It's hardly an invasion. The muslim population represents less than 5% of the total population of Switzerland. The orthodox christian population is less than 2%, are they allowed to display the orthodox cross on their churches, sure they are. This is not about being PC, it is about all the white christian folks deciding that while they welcome immigrants they do not want them to feel at home or free to practice their religion in the way that the other tax paying citizens of the country are able to. As in they are willing to accept the muslims in their country as long as those muslims stay out of sight and out of mind. Immigration is supported by the government because those immigrants will do the #ty jobs for poor wages and be grateful for it. They contribute to the economy, they should therefore be given the same rights as all other contributors. This isn't progress and Switzerland is far from a beacon of light to the rest of Europe. This is the country that turned away Jews if they couldn't find the money to buy their way in, but they gladly took the gold that was taken out of their teeth when they were dead.

posted on Nov, 29 2009 @ 04:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by shamhat

Originally posted by McFlemish

It's hardly an invasion. The muslim population represents less than 5% of the total population of Switzerland.

Nobody said the Muslims couldn't pray or go to their services. The Swiss just don't want to have to be subjected to what is in their opinion an intrusive view of non Swiss style towers and with a calling to prayer that interferes with 100% of the hearing population.

Does anybody know if a Muslim Country would allow a Cathedral built?

[edit on 29-11-2009 by SLAYER69]

posted on Nov, 29 2009 @ 04:48 PM
link   
I politley disagree.

While you have a point in saying that in the past these migrants where let in do do sh***y jobs at sh***y wages, you are ignoring the situation now.

The first generation who was let in on those terms is really not creating any problems now.
It's their children, who were born here, but marry brides from their home countries. They in turn have numerous children that grow up and marry brides from their home countries, etc...

They will never integrate, just for this reason, they stay at the first generation level, no language skills, just arab or moroccan, no integration, no willingness to participate in society, instead they create getto's where they continue these tactics through generations. This combined with demographics. They each have more children than the 'indegenous' people. Eventually overpowering them over time. This is the strategy.

Does this sound familiar? 'We willl conquer Europe, not by arms, but through the wombs of our mothers'?

We, here in Europe, have built a society, with high standing values, humanitarsim, free market, christian influances, the enlightenement, even going back to, and based on, the philosophy of the early greeks in 500 BC. Guess what? It works. Europe has been the cradle of civilised world, free market, civilisation, even for America. No matter what we have done for it.

As shocking as it may seem, we have only been able to do this by fighting numerous crusades against the muslim hordes. We even got to kick them out of Spain and France. If we would have let them in, we would not have talked about the 'old world' as it is now. We would still be 500years ago. We would not have our civilisation, we would not have been able to talk here, we would have lived in a kind of Iran, under the law of Sharia.

It's a good thing that we took care of business in 732, and i hope we can do it again.

Still kudos to the Swiss for being the best democracy in the world!

Edit : typos

[edit on 29-11-2009 by McFlemish]

posted on Nov, 29 2009 @ 04:59 PM
link   
reply to post by shamhat

Shamhat -I posted this thread about the islamic criminalizing of non-beleivers in Saudi Arabia and the general consensus from muslim supporters was one of
"Hey,its their country - let them do what they want to do".

How is this any different?

posted on Nov, 29 2009 @ 05:01 PM
link   

It's hardly an invasion. The Muslim population represents less than 5% of the total population of Switzerland.

Immigration has brought Islam (4.26% as of 2000, compared to 0.26% in 1970)
en.wikipedia.org...

that is a substantial increase and it can naturally be expected that the indigenous population will oppose such changes.

This is not about being PC, it is about all the white Christian folks deciding that while they welcome immigrants they do not want them to feel at home or free to practice their religion in the way that the other tax paying citizens of the country are able to that while they welcome immigrants.

I think you will find that privately many oppose this influx, as Muslims culture is not compatible with western culture.

So Switzerland should succumb to foreign religious pressure and forfeit its historical and cultural landscape, perhaps the Muslims should respect Swiss culture??

Switzerland is hardly a progressive country

Compared to what, Saudi Arabia? Indonesia? Pakistan? Iran? It's all relative and the fact is no Muslim country even comes close to the progressiveness and liberalism of Europe, because by nature Islam is an oppressive ideology. So why should any reasonable country afford it the right to supersede the indigenous culture?

[edit on 29-11-2009 by purplemonkey]

posted on Nov, 29 2009 @ 05:05 PM
link   

Switzerland is hardly a progressive country, that they are choosing to suppress the free expression of religious practice is no surprise. This is a country, after all that didn't afford women the right to vote until 1971!

en.wikipedia.org...

I hate to quote Wiki, but... check your facts, then write something...

Edit : spelling

[edit on 29-11-2009 by McFlemish]

posted on Nov, 29 2009 @ 05:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by osc121
To me this is just democracy at work. there was a ballot and the populous has chosen. yes sad for the muslims i agree, but muslims seem to think that they have an allah given right to move into an area and dominate it

the people of Switzerland obviously don't want to change that quickly.

The strenghth of a democracy is in its respect for minorities. Mind you, if you have an Islamic State there will be no democracy.

[edit on 29-11-2009 by Circle]

posted on Nov, 29 2009 @ 05:24 PM
link   
reply to post by SLAYER69

Does anybody know if a Muslim Country would allow a Cathedral built?

They are allowed in some, certainly not all Muslim countries. I was in a Muslim country that allowed churches and even Christian Schools and Outreach activities. However, here is what happened in moderate Egypt in 2007:

Muslims attack Christians accused of building church

Muslims in Egypt this weekend attacked local Christians and set fire to their shops and homes after the Christian community was accused of attempting to build a church. The riots broke out Friday in the village of Behma, about 50 miles south of Cairo, reportedly after a Muslim sermon at a nearby village mosque accused the town's Coptic Christian population of planning to construct a church without a permit. The Christians said the sermon was meant to stir violence. The Egyptian government heavily restricts the construction or enlargement of churches, requiring permits for any Christian building. The riots this weekend reportedly saw Muslim gangs of more than 500 clash with about 200 Christians. At least 27 Christian-owned houses and shops were damaged by fire, including 10 homes that were completely gutted. Muslims reportedly threw Molotov cocktails at some Christian homes. Sixty-nine Christians were injured, some gravely.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join