It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Lightning kills 14 in a village in one month

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 26 2009 @ 08:23 AM
link   

A BOLT of lightning hit three homesteads in a village in the Transkei and killed four people from one family, including two elderly women and two children, on Tuesday evening.

According to OR Tambo District Municipality disaster management, Tuesday’s incident has brought the number of deaths caused by lightning to 14 in Ntabankulu since late October.

“The first incident happened on October 27, when six people were killed. Four more people were killed on November 7,” said senior disaster manager Vusumuzi Mgobhozi.

full story
www.dispatch.co.za...

This is so unbelievable I had to post.
Could something be attracting the lightning?

posted on Nov, 26 2009 @ 08:42 AM
link   
there was a boy next door rubbing a bollon on his hair wich pruduced the cutest blue static charge .The lighting on seeing this got a real charge from it and wanted to combine electrons but was shocked buy the negtive from the cute blue charge . and in frustration and rejecting it then went after a common house current . thuse shocking the whole house full of ppl who were surprized thinking they know that super charge so well.
the end

posted on Nov, 26 2009 @ 09:24 AM
link   
reply to post by genius/idoit

The only thing I can think of is possibly an iron deposit in the area?
There's an area where I work that always gets hit when we have a storm an the only thing we can think of is something in the ground attracting it.

posted on Nov, 26 2009 @ 10:31 AM
link   
reply to post by genius/idoit

For most landmasses, lightning strikes most often during the summer. That, of course, limits the strikes. Not so in equatorial Africa — where summer is year round, and lightning is a way of life.

The spot with the most lightning lies deep in the mountains of eastern Democratic Republic of the Congo near the small village of Kifuka (elevation 3200 feet, 970 m).

In a year, 158 bolts occur over each square kilometer (10 city-blocks square).

link

The black dot (in the middle of the largest white area in Central Africa) marks the spot — near the tiny town of Kifuka in the Democratic Republic of the Congo — where the greatest lightning activity in the world occurs.

The color code at the top of the image shows the number of flashes per square kilometer during the year. Note that over the oceans and desert "white" means no lightning. [Courtesy of NASA’s Lightning Imaging Sensor (LIS) Instrument Team and the Global Hydrology Resource Center (GHRC).

link

I believe the incident reported in the OP, happened in South Africa.

The greatest flash density averages only 36 discharges per square kilometer per year (South Africa) — only 23% of Kifuka’s rate, says Goodman. This rate occurs at Costmore, located about 85 miles (135 km) west of Durban, in southeastern South Africa.

Lightning is a rarity where i live . I could count on one hand the amount of times i`ve witnessed it over a 12 month span .
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Lightning kills 14 in a village in one month
You could see how those with a superstitious nature,could interpret this as some malevolent supernatural force .

posted on Nov, 26 2009 @ 12:03 PM
link   
Positive lightning anyone?

Positive lightning is a type of lightning strike that comes from apparently clear or only slightly cloudy skies; they are also known as "bolts from the blue" because of this trait. Unlike the more common negative lightning, the positive charge is carried by the top of the clouds (generally anvil clouds) rather than the ground. The leader forms in the sky travelling horizontally for several miles before veering to down to meet the negatively charged streamer rising from below. Positive lightning makes up less than 5% of all lightning strikes.[37] Because of the much greater distance they must travel before discharging, positive lightning strikes typically carry six to ten times the charge and voltage difference of a negative bolt and last around ten times longer.

Source: Wikipedia

I think it's also a common myth that lightning never strikes in the same place twice. Lot's of examples of the very same occurring if you look.

top topics

join