It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Free to good home: USS John F Kennedy

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 25 2009 @ 06:16 PM
link   
The US Navy is giving away an aircraft carrier.The decomminsioned USS John F Kennedy, all 1,056 feet of her is looking for a good home as a museum. The Navy is accepting applications from groups willing to take her until Jan 22, only cost is moving her from Philly.

posted on Nov, 25 2009 @ 06:56 PM
link   
Hmmm, I don't think it'll fit in my backyard

posted on Nov, 26 2009 @ 02:41 PM
link   
They should take the Yorktown out of Charleston and stick the JFK in there. LOL apparently theres a petition to make the Enterprise a museum. That probably cant happen.

posted on Nov, 26 2009 @ 03:03 PM
link   
Wasn't the JFK the aircraft carrier that smashes into the White House in 2012?

posted on Nov, 26 2009 @ 03:24 PM
link   
reply to post by quackers

Yes thats why they need to move it so it doesnt come true! I wonder if john cussak will buy it.

posted on Nov, 29 2009 @ 06:08 PM
link   
Oh WOW!!!!!!!!

posted on Nov, 29 2009 @ 09:25 PM
link   
reply to post by Zaphod58

there has got to be acatch to this somewhere....

posted on Nov, 29 2009 @ 10:38 PM
link   
reply to post by lilwolf

Yeah, the catch is that you have to pay to move it. When they moved the USS Missouri to Pearl Harbor from the West Coast they raised several million dollars to tow it.

posted on Nov, 30 2009 @ 04:00 PM
link   
reply to post by Zaphod58

Sod towing it. Fuel her up and lets sail it. (we can buy some f-14s while we are at it) Then we could have ATS carrier ops

posted on Nov, 30 2009 @ 04:26 PM
link   
When Military Naval Vessels are decommissioned and struck from the Naval Vessel Register, their engines must be disabled. The USS John F Kennedy will be without a working engine, and minus propeller rotors and a rudder. There will be no way to propel itself on it's own...and most likely the terms of ownership will include keeping it in this non-operational state. This is the case for every decommissioned Military Naval Vessel that is turned over to a Trust or Museum.

As such, it will have to be towed, and towing something that size would be substantial. Something small like the Barbel-Class USS Blueback cost millions to tow. I can only imagine what the pricetag on towing would be for an Aircraft Carrier.

(For comparison...USS Blueback is 1,744 Long Tons light or 402 Long Tons dead whereas the USS John F Kennedy is 60,728 Long Tons light or 21,927 Long Tons dead.)

[edit on 30-11-2009 by fraterormus]

posted on Dec, 14 2009 @ 08:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by fraterormus
When Military Naval Vessels are decommissioned and struck from the Naval Vessel Register, their engines must be disabled. The USS John F Kennedy will be without a working engine, and minus propeller rotors and a rudder. There will be no way to propel itself on it's own...and most likely the terms of ownership will include keeping it in this non-operational state. This is the case for every decommissioned Military Naval Vessel that is turned over to a Trust or Museum.

As such, it will have to be towed, and towing something that size would be substantial. Something small like the Barbel-Class USS Blueback cost millions to tow. I can only imagine what the pricetag on towing would be for an Aircraft Carrier.

(For comparison...USS Blueback is 1,744 Long Tons light or 402 Long Tons dead whereas the USS John F Kennedy is 60,728 Long Tons light or 21,927 Long Tons dead.)

[edit on 30-11-2009 by fraterormus]

Our Battleship Texas is ready and willing to stomp butt thank you!

posted on Jan, 2 2010 @ 03:18 AM
link   
I do belive in some cases the USN will let a ship remain operational in case it needsto be called up in case of emergancy..Might possibly be the case with the JFK... And on another note, Why cant the USN just disable her once she mved to where ever they decide to send her? Logic must not be part of the Higher ups...

hmm, Wonder if i can get it, And then use it to invade France.. thoe.. An entire aircraft carrier to take on France.. Bit of over kill.. Half dozen soldiers could get them to surrender.. lol.

posted on Jan, 4 2010 @ 03:19 PM
link   
reply to post by Luke.S

We will have to rename her...

Hmmm..

How about the A.T.S. Springer!

posted on Jan, 8 2010 @ 08:37 PM
link   
Sounds good =) But if we getting an aircraft carrier, We gonna need some destroyers, Whose up for storming and stealing some Zumwalt class destroyers? xD

posted on Jan, 13 2010 @ 10:31 PM
link   
I live by Whiteman AFB, I could get a few A-10's and Mabye a B-2. Even with a decom carrier, some old f-14s and above craft we could have a formidable force

posted on Jan, 13 2010 @ 10:57 PM
link   
reply to post by felonius

Watch this video, you’ll see that the Texas also has no screws and no rudder. The ship as to be towed, just as fraterormus stated:

posted on Jan, 17 2010 @ 11:32 PM
link   
Museum ships that no longer have their shafts and wheels lost them during post donation yard periods. Shafts are removed, and the hull openings plated over to prevent leaks (as generally are seawater intakes). This is not a USN requirement. BB55 still has her wheels.

top topics

join