It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Saudi Witchcraft

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 25 2009 @ 07:29 AM
link   
uk.news.yahoo.com...

"A man has been sentenced to death in Saudi Arabia for witchcraft because he makes predictions on television.

Ali Sibat is not even a Saudi national. The Lebanese citizen was only visiting Saudi Arabia on pilgrimage when he was arrested in Medina last year."
Saudi courts are sanctioning a literal witch hunt by the religious police," said Sarah Leah Whitson, Middle East director at Human Rights Watch.
It claims a lower court in Jeddah started the trial of a Saudi this month who was arrested by the religious police and said to have smuggled a book of witchcraft into the kingdom.

In another case the religious police are said to have arrested for "sorcery" and "charlatanry" an Asian man accusing him of using supernatural powers to solve marital disputes and induce others to fall in love."

Saudi is the ruling State of the Islam which includes 57 OIC countries and acts with jurisdiction over the kingdom. Since witchcraft and sorcery are against Sharia Law then Saudi is the authority to act on justice against these acts.
Can you imagine in this day and age that there is a law that would kill over claims of witchcraft? Good example of the difference in the advancement of the West and the barbarianism of some other places.
Any thoughts?

fixed ex tags - k/j
Mod Edit: New External Source Tags – Please Review This Link.

[edit on 25/11/2009 by kosmicjack]

posted on Nov, 25 2009 @ 07:41 AM
link   
Whats next , the Spanish Inquistion?

Mind you its the 21st century, they'd probably call it I-inquisition or something to make it sellable..

As a Pagan myself , I expect any Sharia court including the ones over here in the UK to start making the headlines and the political correct crowd will bend over backwards to prevent insulting the Muslim community.

Give it another 5-10 years and you will not be allowed to openly practice any other religeon in fear of 'upsetting' someone.

posted on Nov, 25 2009 @ 07:42 AM
link   
There are many countries with laws against witchcraft, sorcery or "charlatarianism", including Western countries. They don't kill in the West, but they can lock someone up for quite a few years.

I wouldn't call a culture that I don't understand as being 'barbaric', that is a terrible ethnocentric perspective of the world which would only lead to more 'barbaric' behavior.

It is interesting to see how other cultures behave and think differently and why they do so. Maybe there is more accuracy in their ways than on ours which we get from...TV?

What I would like to know is how do they validate the judgment of one being a witch or a sorcerer. There must be quite a few people strongly believing that the person judged is capable of something which most people are not. It would be interesting to hear the testimonials against and for the sentenced man.

Witchcraft is real, if you don't believe it spend a couple of years in Africa where there is no internet or television. You would be astounded, its a serious matter over there.

posted on Nov, 25 2009 @ 07:56 AM
link   
Yes, its quite sad to think that 'witchcraft and sorcery are against Sharia Law' - I think it has a great deal to do with fear,ignorance and superstition.

Heres another incident from Saudi Arabia where a lady was 'beheaded' for the act of supernatural witchcraft:

And some further reading on the Saudi 'religious' police:

The Al-Madina regional branch of the Saudi religious and morality police, formally known as "The Authority for the Promotion of Virtue and Prevention of Vices," recently launched its new website.[1] The site posts news items, citizens' violations, and includes a section that allows citizens to inform anonymously on persons they suspect of violating religious and moral laws.
www.memri.org...

Murder:

During a school fire in Mecca in March they reportedly drove back girls who tried to escape without wearing headscarves, and prevented male rescuers from entering the building on the grounds that they would be "mixing" with the opposite sex. Fourteen girls died in the blaze.

Yesterday Amnesty International was sceptical about the training programme. "Saudi Arabia's religious police have an appalling record of brutality and discrimination going far beyond failings with interpersonal skills," a spokesman said. "Their track record includes making violent and arbitrary arrests, subjecting women in particular to taunts and vicious beatings, and lashing out at people taken into detention.
www.guardian.co.uk...

Mysoginist sexist behaviour:
www.timesonline.co.uk...

Basic paranoid intolerance:
www.jihadwatch.org...

This 'Religious Gestapo' mindset also seems to be expanding into Egypt as well:

Book Burning:
findarticles.com...

[edit on 02/10/08 by karl 12]

posted on Nov, 25 2009 @ 07:58 AM
link   
Jesus brought the bible into modern times with the new testament. Islam is still applied by the old time laws and punishments which perhaps were needed back then.

As with any great cult they do not muck around with their punishments.
Witchcraft (which I know is real) has the death penalty.
Preaching any other religion has the death penalty.
Leaving the islamic religion has the death penalty.
Dishonouring your family has the death penalty (if you are a girl.)

There are so many more.

posted on Nov, 25 2009 @ 08:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by Geladinhu
Witchcraft is real, if you don't believe it spend a couple of years in Africa where there is no internet or television. You would be astounded..

Yes it is quite astounding:

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Nov, 25 2009 @ 08:16 AM
link   
reply to post by karl 12

That is definetely part of it, but its not even close to address all the issues with witchcraft.

To me that article is just propaganda to incentive the idea that 'democracy and freedom' should be spread from the west, which is 'surely more advanced'.

posted on Nov, 25 2009 @ 08:26 AM
link   
reply to post by Geladinhu

Please explain how you've arrived at the conclusion that 'witchcraft' is a real phenomenon.

Do you think the lady who was beheaded in Saudi for witchcraft 'had it coming'?

You mention propaganda - isn't the telling of frightening stories about witches,wizards and warlocks just 'religious propaganda' designed to enslave impressionable minds through fear and intimidation?

posted on Nov, 25 2009 @ 08:32 AM
link   

I wouldn't call a culture that I don't understand as being 'barbaric', that is a terrible ethnocentric perspective of the world which would only lead to more 'barbaric' behavior.

Oh I understand Islam and I would indeed call Sharia Law barbaric. Stoning women, cutting off limbs, public beheading... yep, barbaric.

posted on Nov, 25 2009 @ 08:40 AM
link   
reply to post by karl 12

I'm glad you ask these questions.

How I arrive at the conclusion that witchcraft is a rea pehonemon? Easy. In various cultures witchcraft plays a heavy role and lots of events happen around this apparently 'fake' phenomena. How does a culture sustain itself for centuries or even thousands of years by having ideas that are not truly useful? In anthropology we learn that every system has its own internal logic. Even if its completely illogical for us all concepts and ideas are there for a reason and are key to all other ways of living in that respective culture. Now, maybe we ought to think better what is witchcraft and that would require us to investigate empirically going to these places where occurences are common and not only by taking conclusions of whatever 'news' comes to us.

I don't quite understand your second question. And I couldn't possible answer that without talking to her or to people that knew her really well.

Stories are stories. If they are frigthening, enlightnening, explanatory, contradictory, useless or whatever else that is subjective and comes from each person and their own level of understanding. Which minds are not impressionable? All of them are. So if you believe that someone can actually make you react to something as they will I'm sure that you inevitably show the same behavior and react to something as someone else wishes you to do since you let this idea construct your reality. This 'religious propaganda' of yours is a weapon that can shoot both ways.

posted on Nov, 25 2009 @ 08:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by JJay55
Oh I understand Islam and I would indeed call Sharia Law barbaric. Stoning women, cutting off limbs, public beheading... yep, barbaric.

Don't forget scalding:

www.dhushara.com...

posted on Nov, 25 2009 @ 08:47 AM
link   

Good example of the difference in the advancement of the West and the barbarianism of some other places.
Any thoughts?

fixed ex tags - k/j
Mod Edit: New External Source Tags – Please Review This Link.

[edit on 25/11/2009 by kosmicjack]

Let me see if I have this right, Saudi Arabia kills a few people over Sharia law. The U.S. kills thousands in Iraq and Afghanistan and we're somehow MORE ADVANCED IN THE WEST? The US seems to me to be the most violent and aggressive nation on earth, did I miss something?

posted on Nov, 25 2009 @ 09:09 AM
link   

How I arrive at the conclusion that witchcraft is a rea pehonemon? Easy.

In various cultures witchcraft plays a heavy role and lots of events happen around this apparently 'fake' phenomena.

Why is there no evidence for it then?

Unless of course you think illness/disease is caused by demons.

How does a culture sustain itself for centuries or even thousands of years by having ideas that are not truly useful?

When it comes to the idea of 'killing people for witchcraft', its probably got a lot more to do with the indoctrination and conditioning of youngsters carrying their 'programming' into adulthood - by the way, in what way do you think this practise is 'useful'?

As for concluding that all cultural ideas must be true because 'they've been around a long time' - what are your thoughts on this one?

The religion of the Todas people of southern India forbids them to cross any type of bridge

Do you now think all bridges are supernatural?

Originally posted by GeladinhuIn anthropology we learn that every system has its own internal logic. Even if its completely illogical for us all concepts and ideas are there for a reason and are key to all other ways of living in that respective culture.

So, on that precept, you've concluded that certain people are supernatural witches,wizards and warlocks (and deserve to be suitably punished)?.

What if a member of your own family was accused and had their head on the chopping block -would you be so quick to jump to conclusions then?

Now, maybe we ought to think better what is witchcraft and that would require us to investigate empirically going to these places where occurences are common and not only by taking conclusions of whatever 'news' comes to us.

You cannot study witchcraft 'empirically' as there is no evidence -the best scientific study you could hope for would be a psychology paper on the effects of fear and religious hysteria on the human brain.

[edit on 02/10/08 by karl 12]

posted on Nov, 25 2009 @ 09:39 AM
link   
More signs of barbarism spreading around the world:
"MOSCOW, Nov 24 (Reuters) - A police investigator and a court bailiff were found beheaded in a car trunk in Russia's mainly Muslim region of Kabardino-Balkaria, Interfax said on Tuesday, underscoring spreading violence on Russia's southern flank."
www.reuters.com...

The government of Saudi and Sharia Law are a 24/7 action that is shared by muslims. These acts of violence are government sponsored. Not only witchcraft but anyone who opposed them under worldwide Sharia Law as it is recognized.

posted on Nov, 25 2009 @ 09:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by Asktheanimals
Let me see if I have this right, Saudi Arabia kills a few people over Sharia law. The U.S. kills thousands in Iraq and Afghanistan and we're somehow MORE ADVANCED IN THE WEST? The US seems to me to be the most violent and aggressive nation on earth, did I miss something?

Yeah, you missed the part on 911 when Islam declared war on the US.
Happy Thanksgiving. Try not to behead anyone.

posted on Nov, 25 2009 @ 10:38 AM
link   

Well, I could point out various barbaric behaviors on all countries of all parts of the world. What does that tells us and where does that takes us? It means nothing, only that we see the world as being screwed up, and its not only one part of the world, its the entire world.

posted on Nov, 25 2009 @ 10:44 AM
link   
reply to post by karl 12

I'm sorry I am unable to continue this discussion with you because we will be running in circles here since you apparently can't step out of your box for a second. I would have to lecture not only about culture but about reality itself and that would be really energy draining since you are sure of your own ideas and just want to disprove mine.

I could address all your isses but they would mean nothing to you and I would have to keep saying the same thing over and over with different words until I give up, so I'm saving your and my time.

Just try to be more understanding, thats all I can say.

posted on Nov, 25 2009 @ 11:42 AM
link   
reply to post by JJay55

The stubborn crap law that exists in Saudi Arabia is nothing more than media propaganda and public sentiment. Let me share you a real life story..

In 2001, I had a gay (homosexual) friend who was working in Saudi Arabia. We talked about life and somehow I got damned surprised at how corrupted the network of social men were.

He told me that gay life in Saudi Arabia was no different from other countries like China, Malaysia and Singapore. Gay men could easily find someone to sleep with - as long as they didn't get too high profile and everything behind closed door.

By the way, many of these so-called gay men were actually married and had children. Specifically they're bisexual.

The point is the current Sharia laws that exist in many Islamic countries are total sham. The true orthodox protocols are not adhered. They prey on "what's obvious" to feed political (religious) support.

posted on Nov, 25 2009 @ 12:09 PM
link   

Just try to be more understanding, thats all I can say.

Try to be more understanding?

Human beings are getting their heads chopped off by a medieval religious cult because they beleive them to be supernatural wizards and witches.

It would be absolutely hilarious if it wasn't so tragic and disgusting.

posted on Nov, 25 2009 @ 12:18 PM
link   
reply to post by wisdomnotemotion

No, homosexuality is quite common in Islamic countries. I've talked to a few folks who were in Afghanastan, and was told that homosexual acts between men is common. Women are for procreation, if your looking for fun it's between men. Historically it's quite common. The Spartan army comes to mind.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join