It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What do you like more in your life? Certainty or uncertainty?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 25 2009 @ 12:35 AM
link   
I was just thinking... earlier about certainty or uncertainty. I feel like I expect a certain amount of certainty within my life. I don't want things to change too much. I expect there to be some discord in my life. I know the rest of the world around me will change. That's not too much of a problem with me. I just don't like it when my life changes all of a sudden... I mean I think taking risks are what make life great... but like I don't like life to change all of a sudden... and not know what to expect. I expect some certainty in my life. What's your position on that? Do you like more or less certainty? Why?

posted on Nov, 25 2009 @ 01:31 AM
link   
reply to post by Frankidealist35

Well its certain that we've limited most uncertain outcomes, but life can change at any given moment so i try to be aware at all times of the level of uncertainty that is in my surroundings and how I act is judged by how uncertain I am. I usually dont feel comfortable anyway when I have a sense of uncertainty so how I analyze and act upon a situation is really dependant on how uncomfortable I feel.

Now by making the uncertain, certain. That would be a grand solution. let your survival instincts take over until then I suppose.

posted on Nov, 25 2009 @ 04:47 AM
link   

Uncertainty. Im not sure if I want to be certain about everything, I think being uncertain is the fun of life. Who knows whats going to happen next?

posted on Nov, 25 2009 @ 06:06 AM
link   

I live with one sure thing - death is imminent. Everything between now and death is uncertainty. You are probably talking about personal feeling of certainty - but that is personal ... I think about such feelings as about false notions of reality. Life is uncertainty till death.

EDIT to add:
and yes, World is faster and faster so uncertainty is more apparent.

[edit on 25-11-2009 by zeddissad]

posted on Nov, 25 2009 @ 06:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by Ghost in the Machine

Uncertainty. Im not sure if I want to be certain about everything, I think being uncertain is the fun of life. Who knows whats going to happen next?

This is so true, boring life would be, if you forsee what line of realit you will travel.

posted on Nov, 25 2009 @ 06:42 AM
link   
I definitely prefer uncertainty! When things begin to become too routine I rock the boat just to shake things up. I can't live in one place too long and I can't have the stability of a secure job and income (self-employed instead).

Most of my friends still live in the same area we grew up in. They married local people and their kids are now going to the same schools we did. That would be my worst nightmare although sometimes I can see the appeal of routine but only for a few weeks and then I'd crave uncertainty again!

I've curbed my ways to a certain extent, since having my children. The most uncertain thing I've done since becoming a parent was to move the whole family from England to Spain and that felt a bit like jumping off a cliff with a blindfold. We've stayed living in the same area so the kids stay at the same schools but we're living in our 5th house in 6 years and looking to move again this spring!
In fact, we're even discussing moving to another country next year after our eldest goes off doing volunteer work in Asia for 12 months. We're trying to fit our adventures in around the kid's schooling and if we're going to up and leave then next year fits perfectly. No definite plans yet though - it'll probably be a last minute decision.

Sometimes I do envy people who prefer security and certainty and I have tried to live that way but then I find myself rocking the boat again. It annoys my mum who keeps telling me I'm getting too old to keep starting over (I'm only 40!).

The only thing that's certain in my life is that one day I'll die but until then I hope to pack in as many adventures as possible.

new topics

top topics

join