It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

UK members, Tornado watch issued Tuesday 24th/Wednesday 25th November

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 24 2009 @ 06:33 PM
link   
What a windy night out there, and i just wanted to make sure those who are still up have seen that we have tornado warnings for all over the UK tonight and tomorrow,

They believe a T4 could happen, Hopefully things will pass without any drama but please be aware and if our US friends have any hints for us im sure we would all appreciate it,

Yes we do get them here but not very often,

Its a very windy night out there so take care!

www.torro.org.uk...

All of England and Wales

Channel Islands

THREATS

Tornadoes; wind gusts to 70mph; hail to 15mm diameter; CG lightning (hail/lightning post-cold front)

SYNOPSIS

Strong cold front will move east/south-east across the area tonight. Whilst deep convection is not expected along the front, strongly-forced shallow convection is simulated, with a good chance of LEWP/bowing segments, and misocyclone development. Such development brings the risk of wind gusts of 60-70mph, and short-lived tornadoes. There is a chance of a number of tornadoes overnight.

Tomorrow morning, one or more post-frontal short-wave troughs is expected to race eastwards, especially (but not exclusively) across southern parts. If convection fires on these, hail/thunder/strong winds and (perhaps) tornadoes will be possible - indeed, a stronger tornado (T4) is possible should this convection develop.

The major driving trough is expected to move across late morning into the afternoon. The watch may need to be extended/re-issued at 1200GMT tomorrow.

posted on Nov, 24 2009 @ 06:41 PM
link   
reply to post by asala

Wow, I'm further up-country in North Yorkshire ... it's very gusty here and we've had a couple of heavy downpours (one that knocked the satallite tv out for a while).

Thanks for the heads up ... and thoughts go out to all the Cumbrians who have already been suffering and have again been told to expect more flooding.

Woody

posted on Nov, 24 2009 @ 06:41 PM
link   
Hi there,today it happened

BBC news link

Dozens of homes in Derbyshire have been damaged by what is believed to have been a tornado.

My house was shaking last night and it appears to be the same tonight.I do expect my power to be cut off,it has happened a few times before so i have candles and torches at the ready.
Should be fun,at the top of a hill with nowhere to hide.Good luck everyone.

[edit on 24-11-2009 by tracey ace]

posted on Nov, 24 2009 @ 06:56 PM
link   
Thanks for the heads up

Did you know that the UK gets more reports of tornados per person than the USA?

posted on Nov, 24 2009 @ 06:58 PM
link   
Yep i have my touch all ready lol I feel my house shaking with the wind!
Just hoping the big old trees around me feel like being strong lol

I dont mind the wind in the day but it does freak me out a bit a night

And goodness yep my thoughts are with those in Cumbria this is the last thing they need on top of those terrible floods,

posted on Nov, 24 2009 @ 07:02 PM
link   
Oh no wonder I was having a hard time coming home on my bike. I could barely see in front of me, the wind and rain was blinding me haha.

Thanks for the warning.

posted on Nov, 24 2009 @ 07:04 PM
link   
reply to post by asala

One good thing ... being a ghost-hunting witch who lives on the edge of the North Yorkshire moors, I always have torches and candles at the ready.

Woody

posted on Nov, 24 2009 @ 07:05 PM
link   
[edit on 24-11-2009 by woodwytch]

posted on Nov, 24 2009 @ 07:06 PM
link   
[edit on 24-11-2009 by woodwytch]

posted on Nov, 24 2009 @ 07:07 PM
link   
Just a bit further up north than woodwych and whist it is certainly windy and we've had a couple of downpours it's not that bad really compared to what I have witnessed before.

However, I'm the one who was wide awake and felt nothing through the earth tremors we had last year despite all my neighbours getting woken by them.

But will certainly keep an ear open tonight!

posted on Nov, 24 2009 @ 07:23 PM
link   
advice from US?

I lived in OKC, OK. for 4 years. Moved there right after the T5 (category 5...can't remember the proper terminology) hit. I've personally seen tin from roofs wrapped around trees like the wire tie thingy that closes up a loaf of bread. Almost everyone in our neighborhood had underground storm shelters.

-Always take the sirens seriously, as if it is barreling down on you.
-Have a plan on where to go in your house if you don't have a storm shelter.
-Go over that plan with the family.
-Carry a flashlight, even if it's daytime.
-Stay away from windows, get to the most centered part of your home and get down on the ground.

Godspeed.

posted on Nov, 24 2009 @ 11:07 PM
link   
Hopefully calm has been restored as the BBC weather is not reporting any warnings in effect.

news.bbc.co.uk...

posted on Nov, 25 2009 @ 10:25 AM
link   
I lived in southern Illinois for a while, I've seen maybe 8-12 tornadoes in my current range of experience. I actually have a photo somewhere of a plastic straw stuck in a metal telephone pole. I'll try to find it.

First I will say that yes tornado are a violent destructive force, yes they can turn you homeless, and yes they might pick you up and take you to OZ. (Lol) Stay in your basements in a place that is near plumbing yet away from windows. If you don't have a basement then sit in your bathtub if the twister gets close. (the plumbing will keep things down to earth so to speak).

Most likely if there is a tornado no one here will be directly effected.

Come to think of it... I don't think I've ever heard of a tornado in the UK before. I'm assuming they are a very rare occurence no?

[edit on 25-11-2009 by DaMod]

CX

posted on Nov, 25 2009 @ 11:29 AM
link   
A bit late in replying but thanks for the warning asala.

I am a big one for being prepared for the power cuts that these storms can bring, the kids and i have a good supply of torches, nightsticks, parafin lamps, food and water in the house, and we all know how to use everything we need.

Here's a great purchase if you want a radio to entertain you when the powers off, mine just arrived the other day and i'm very impressed. Good radio with all the stations needed, bright led torch, red flashing torch, very clear sound and a very loud emergency siren. Powered by crank handle, battery, rechargeable batery pack as part of the radio and solar. Even charges your mobile for a few emegerncy calls.

Waterproof too.

Eton Solar link FR-550

Just remember everyone, when the power goes out in this extreme weather, the shops without power will usualy shut too, so theres no point in thinking you can get supplies once the powers gone.

Our local pharmacy was having work done on the upper floor today, and the workmen cut through the power cables to the shop. Suddenly the only provider of medicines in the village was shut temporarily.

Now think about that one if it took longer to restore power.

CX.

[edit on 25/11/09 by CX]

posted on Nov, 25 2009 @ 11:52 AM
link   
mmm.... if one does hit yorkshire, i will be ok!! i got a dom's game tonight so i will be in the pub lol, but its not going to be fun walking down there with all this wind and rain.

posted on Nov, 29 2009 @ 06:05 PM
link   
Was there any tornadoes up there?

My area has seen tornadoes from F0-F5 (T0 - T12) Status and some killer twisters

5 Twisters within 10 miles where I Live

posted on Nov, 29 2009 @ 06:07 PM
link   
Their was an T1 (F0) Tornado in Romsey U.K earlier in the month

top topics

join