It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

ADD and Paranormal Awareness

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 20 2004 @ 05:34 PM
link   
Seeing as Attention Deficiet is considered as grading all sensory input as having the same importance, and that because of this those with ADD are considered Hyper-Attentive. Could that hightened awareness extend into the paranormal sphere? First off I don't see ADD as a handicap... In hunter gatherer societies those with this trait would be at an advantage when hunting or when being hunted... I worked for 20 years ans a News Photographer and when I was diagnosed with ADD the doctor said I had the perfect job for someone with ADD. I always DID seem to notice stuff before anyone else.
I've also been sensitive to detecting Spritiual energies... and I've seen many "ghosts"... what do you guys think? could some of us be "Wired" to be more aware of the spirit realm?

posted on May, 20 2004 @ 05:46 PM
link   
Hmmmm, good question. ADD can be a very frustrating experiance. I know someone very close too me that has it. I do not have it. But I know for a fact that I have had more paranormal experiances,than the person with ADD.
But I would think that if someone with ADD was sensitive to the paranormal, then, yes they would have more sightings or feelings. They would be tuned in more than a regular person. It would be an all consuming hobby or lifestyle.
It might be interesting to find out if any "mediums" have ADD.

posted on May, 20 2004 @ 05:47 PM
link   
I think you could be correct. I have chronic PTSD and one of the symptoms for me is hyper vigelance, I am fully aware of my surroundings at all times, almost like sensory overload. I dont see why it wouldnt stretch into the 6th sense. And the hyper vigalence is actually an asset. When I drive I have almost 360 degree awareness at all times etc etc..

Being as I have been like this ever since I can remember, I have also been much more aware in other respects too ever since I can remember. Although until I started to train myself, it wasnt anything I had any sort of control over. So this is just my own thoughts on that matter, great thought! And one that I believe is a valid concept. Cant wait to see what other people say!

posted on May, 20 2004 @ 05:56 PM
link   
Yes i have some paranormal experiences and i have a Dissorder that is like a relitive of ADD just not as severe.
But Who knows

posted on May, 20 2004 @ 06:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by nyeff

It might be interesting to find out if any "mediums" have ADD.

Have PTSD, and have medium abilities at times.

The one famous medium I do know, doesnt have ADD, at least not that I know of, next time I talk to him I can ask, might be better coming from his mouth than for me to speculate on it, but I can ask him next time I see him and ask about ADD. I Do know that many mediums, and psychics in general were labled with different mental syndromes. Often they were seeing spirits and it was made to sound like they were dellusional.
I started a thread here on mediumship observations, but it didnt go very far, people didnt seem to hold an interest in it.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

if ya wanna read it.
Only got one reply before it faded into obscurity...LOL

[Edited on 20-5-2004 by Darkblade71]

posted on May, 20 2004 @ 07:11 PM
link   
i would agree. i think in the future we might see certain medical conditions being recognized as physcic abillities. much of the world today still believes that sort of stuff lives only in programmes like the xfiles. i have often wondered about autism, and whether it is just that those people are more in tune with the forces around them wich is what makes them the way they are.

posted on May, 20 2004 @ 09:24 PM
link   
I have AADD (used to be ADHD, but I lost the hyperactivity... now, since I'm an adult they call it AADD or Adult Attention Deficit Disorder). I have psychic abilities. I don't know if this helps... I feel like I have all psychic abilities (including the ability to survive as an energy outside my body, not just as a soul) but I have only a couple "unlocked"... one of the most 'fun' being Empathetic Psychic. Basically, I can kinda do like Bruce Willis in Unbroken, but I feel rather than see. Almost everyone has this ability (ever walk into a room and 'feel' something wasn't right, only to realize you walked into the middle of a virtual funeral?), but some of us are extremely sensitive. I have also seen some future occurances (remember falling into a trance and seeing images of the WTC's falling, but it was dusk rather than morning).

I think that it is a very real possibility that people with ADD, or who have suffered PTSD (like Dorkblade) can have abilities enhanced. They've show super-increased cases of telekinesis in patients with brain tumors. Also, think of Rainman... unconscious super-geniuses, some of those retards! (hey, don't yell "PC" at me... you can shove your PC you know where. When I say retard, you get a better clue as to the severity of the handicap).

*EDIT: Two things...

First, it's DARKBLADE... really didn't mean to do that
(sry man... I had to leave it up there... that has to be one of the funniest typos I've ever made!)

Second, forgot I was gonna drop a link to the post where I related my experiences from one night: www.abovetopsecret.com...

[Edited on 20-5-2004 by Earthscum]

posted on May, 20 2004 @ 09:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by Earthscum
First, it's DARKBLADE... really didn't mean to do that
(sry man... I had to leave it up there... that has to be one of the funniest typos I've ever made!)

AHAHA!!! You are NOT the first to do that!
ROTFLMAO
2 most common typos with my nick, Dorkblade and Darkbalde....which is ironic cause I gots me a lot of hair...LOL
And I can be rather dorky sometimes and I know it!

ROCK ON!!!!

[Edited on 20-5-2004 by Darkblade71]

posted on May, 20 2004 @ 09:59 PM
link   
I have PTSD and am also hyper vigilant....................hmmmmmmmmm I always am on the ready to ward off an attack!

posted on May, 20 2004 @ 10:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by Gislebertus
Seeing as Attention Deficiet is considered as grading all sensory input as having the same importance

I have to disagree with that phrase.

People with ADD generaly just give different importance to sencory inputs then is dictated by society. Not equal importance to all of it.

I myself also am considered as someone with ADD and this causes me to put focus on only what interests me and as you say, be much more aware of all around me instead of what I'm "supposed" to look or focus at.

When I'm interested in something, I can focus on that, shutting out everything else around me. But when I HAVE to focus on something(because someone tells me to), that I'm not interested in, I can't.

Imho ADD is more the failure of society programming on a person, not because the person is to strong willed to be programmed, but because the person has a different wiring for this programming by society to work and by this their way of seeing things and putting attention on them, that can't be broken or changed by education or bringing up.

I agree that because of this, ADD people are more aware of their suroundings, wich in hunter/gatherer society's would be a great bonus.
But it also helps us to open our eyes more easely to everything thats not seen by most. Not just the psychic part, but also things like conspiracy's and general problem solving.

posted on May, 21 2004 @ 01:08 AM
link   
I should be ADD, as is my dad...
I find it distracting...those ghosties and ghoulies that pop up in the side vision, which oyu didn't really get to see, can distract you to the point where you run into things. It's a blessing and a curse...you see more, but you're less in control...late at night, I have to shut it off becuase I can't keep myself in control, and if something wants to mess with me, it will...so the computer, and my bed is all I see...

posted on May, 21 2004 @ 01:37 AM
link   
thematrix
Yep... I couldn't have said it better myself, except maybe it's like most of the world is running Mac's, and us ADD (and other) are running on PC's... more versitile, not as good of graphics, but the computation ability is intense!

Like you said, ADD kids can ultra-super-concentrate on sonething they find interesting, but if someone tries to dictate what the ADD kid is to find iteresting, you get all sorts of conflicts... again, it would be like that guy with the FisherPrice Macintosh is trying to run AppleShare on the poor ADD's PC running UNIX.

*EDIT: Yeah... there's that ADD kicking in again (watching AdultSwim, lol). I had a thought that I was gonna add in... something about how Mac's are graphical and PC's are mathematical, and something about it relating to psychic abilities... dammit.

[Edited on 21-5-2004 by Earthscum]

posted on May, 21 2004 @ 07:11 AM
link   
.....See, I already got sidetracted... I also think the TV commercial showing the office worker in the meeting with all the images flashing in her mind like changing TV channels is about the best representation I've seen of ADD. Although I do like the Apple/Mac analogy. I think That the wiring in people with ADD et al was actually genetically encouraged due to its usefulness in survival. Now we are trying to be drugged into the modern mindset. I definately know that my expanded perceptions are blocked by the drugs. But, it's a trade off to function as a teacher I guess... Talk about sensory overload....YEESH!

posted on May, 21 2004 @ 12:41 PM
link   
Yes indeed Gislebertus, thats what I think too. ADD is imho an advantage instead of a problem.
By society its seen as a problem because an ADD person has problems complying with society's standards and rules.

But the ground basis for that to be right is that society's rules and standards would be correct, wich is more then obviously not the case.

Having a different perception on the world around you gives you unique advantages because your able to see what others don't see and because you able to put importance on things that your not supposed to see and what society standards are doctored to hide.

new topics

top topics

join