It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

UCLA near riots over 32% tuition inflation

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 19 2009 @ 05:54 AM
link   

"14 Arrests one student tazered are the reports I received from students."

Protesters amassed outside UC Regents meeting at Covel Commons, then stormed the doors to protest the outrageous 32% inflation for undergraduates. Apparently it is being voted on later this week. Another protest is scheduled today for 10am.

A sign of things to come perhaps?

posted on Nov, 19 2009 @ 06:26 AM
link   
I know that if they increased tuition by 32%, I would leave university and find me a job at 12-14$/hour.

Why? Because it wouldn't be worth it... too much debt for what...a degree that will not get me hired in this economy? You think the economy is going to get better?

At this point, I'll just work to have what I need + a little more to buy land in the country and become self-sufficient... or wait until the universities are nationalized.

But before leaving the whole thing, I would protest anyway I can and urge all people at the university to put the whole place in lockout until this BS is fixed.

Police...the biggest criminal gang in america... again supporting the corporate scum abusing capitalism.

[edit on 19-11-2009 by Vitchilo]

posted on Nov, 19 2009 @ 06:41 AM
link   
This could be just the beginning of more trouble for California. Consider that the state is currently suffering from a $21 billion shortfall and they just increased the tax withholding by another 10%. Nothing like an interest free loan to your highly inefficient and overstuffed govt.

California is never satisfied. Now they want special restrictions on TV's sold in California. Which I find a little ironic considering that Cali. produces most of the crap that we are faced with on our TVs in the first place.

When the SHTF, we will see it first in California. I don't know how anyone can put up with all of the BS in that state.

posted on Nov, 19 2009 @ 07:06 AM
link   
I go to Arizona State University and can say in the four years since I started the tuition has gone from about $2300 a year to $3200 a semester!!!!!!
And I am about ready to riot!

[edit on 19-11-2009 by Redwookieaz]

posted on Nov, 19 2009 @ 07:22 AM
link   
This is absolutely outrageous. However, the battle is far from won.

The budgets must be approved by the State Department of Finance, the state legislature, and the Governor, who is scheduled to revise his budget in May with a mid-June adoption. Just this morning the state budget was described as having a "grim forecast," as we face a $21 Billion projected deficit.

source

I am still trying to play devil's advocate and find reasons why this would relieve financial tension. Sure, higher earnings per capita -- but people would leave. What is the point? Hopefully someone smarter than I can elaborate.

posted on Nov, 19 2009 @ 07:31 AM
link   
reply to post by Oscitate

People will leave.

I've been trying to figure this out or at least get people who love big spending cities and states to admit it my whole life.

They spend and spend and spend building up all of this ridiculous splendor (maintaining CA's unnatural palm trees for example) expecting to attract more tax payers to the area thereby easing everyone's burden or at least putting more money into the pocket of the local government without further tax increases.

And IT NEVER WORKS. Not once has this ever worked. Not for the long haul anyway. There may be a decade of artificial boom or so but sooner or later that initial investment needs to be repaid or needs to be maintained or whatever and the money to do so isnt there because the local gov never stopped spending. Then people stop coming. The taxes on the suckers left go up. And people start leaving.

I dont know if people are just too stupid to see this or maybe they're all too self-righteous to recognize the pattern.

posted on Nov, 19 2009 @ 07:54 AM
link   
" I dont know if people are just too stupid to see this or maybe they're all too self-righteous to recognize the pattern. "

We are all too stoned, full of organic lettuce, surfing, hugging our trees and eating granola to notice .....

[edit on 19-11-2009 by blujay]

posted on Nov, 19 2009 @ 04:48 PM
link   
Is this in the right forum?

posted on Nov, 19 2009 @ 05:12 PM
link   
Since health care insurance is on most people's minds, here a related by-product of the CA budget crisis that is affecting the college students there.

Enough classes are being canceled to save money that many CA students simply cannot get the classes they need to fill out their schedules.

Result? If the students are not carrying the minimum number of hours, they no longer qualify under their parent's insurance plans, so they join the ranks of the medically uninsured.

top topics

join