It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NJ Teen Barred From Abortion Protest Sues School

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 17 2009 @ 09:25 PM
link   

A New Jersey high school student claims in a federal lawsuit that school administrators violated her First Amendment free-speech and religious-freedom rights when they said she couldn't participate in a day of silent protest against abortion

www.4029tv.com...

posted on Nov, 17 2009 @ 09:27 PM
link   
I don't get these people who are anti-abortion. I think it's a personal choice, I don't see why people make this into a political debate.

posted on Nov, 17 2009 @ 09:32 PM
link   
reply to post by capgirl

from what was presented in the article, this girl is going to lose and lose hard.

if they have rules against handing out literature, and "wearing insignias", and she agreed to speak when called on...what does she have to complain about?

I support everyone's right to protest, their right to free speech and all, but when an organization has rules and guidelines, you are expected to follow them.

posted on Nov, 17 2009 @ 09:34 PM
link   
reply to post by ReAlIzAtIoN

i gave you a star for that

but i'll say this...i am anti abortion, simply because i take the stance that life is started when the sperm hits the egg, but i also realize two things 1) it is a personal choice, and 2) it's a state's rights issue.

if someone engages me in a discussion about it, i will speak about it, otherwise, i leave it alone because its one of those reeeeaaaalll touchy issues. and it's one that you are not going to change people's mind on.

[edit on 11/17/2009 by iamsupermanv2]

posted on Nov, 17 2009 @ 09:34 PM
link   
I am anti Abortion. I think everyone has a choice though. But I just put this up to see what everyones thoughts were =)

[edit on 17-11-2009 by capgirl]

posted on Nov, 17 2009 @ 09:38 PM
link   
It's definitely a personal choice.

Well I think that these days it's a crime if you don't let your child attend a school, whether it's a public school or private school. Parents can really get into a lot of trouble doing so.

posted on Nov, 17 2009 @ 09:40 PM
link   
reply to post by capgirl

and that gets to the heart of the problem. it seems that she is all in a tizzy that she isn't getting these two excused absences. yes, the parent has a right to pull their child from school to a certain extent, but the school does not have to recognize it as an excused absence.

and last i checked, in most school districts, someone else being sick is not an excusable absence. i understand where some administrators would allow it, but when you cause problems for the school, you are less likely to get those perks.

just as i'm sure a kid who is in detention daily wouldn't get it excused.

posted on Nov, 17 2009 @ 09:41 PM
link   
reply to post by iamsupermanv2

Thank you.

I agree with you that it's a touchy subject for most people and that there is no way to try to alter people's way of thinking when it comes to abortion. It's all a matter of how you view the world. It shouldn't be made into a public debate on live TV or anything like that, there are far more greater issues we must deal with as a society, and abortion should be way down our list of trying to change the world for the better, in my view.

posted on Nov, 17 2009 @ 09:47 PM
link   

awesome..i'm not totally alone on that...

but to the OP...what was your point of posting it....we kind of highjacked it...sorry...

posted on Nov, 17 2009 @ 09:51 PM
link   
Well All I wanted was thoughts on it, just like any other threads that people post. Sorry if it was wrong of me.

posted on Nov, 17 2009 @ 09:58 PM
link   
reply to post by capgirl

oh no your fine....i just know a lot of times the point of a thread gets buried in idle chatter that has nothing to do with the intended topic, and i hate when that happens.

what do you think about her not being allowed to participate in this protest?

posted on Nov, 17 2009 @ 10:06 PM
link   

It is not okay to kill a person. It is a personal choice...but still murder.

posted on Nov, 17 2009 @ 10:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by ReAlIzAtIoN
I don't get these people who are anti-abortion. I think it's a personal choice, I don't see why people make this into a political debate.

I don't get these people who are pro-baby murder. I don't think it's a personal choice, I don't see why people make this into a political debate.

posted on Nov, 17 2009 @ 10:35 PM
link   

I support everyone's right to protest, their right to free speech and all, but when an organization has rules and guidelines, you are expected to follow them.

Are you kidding me? We were just in another thread where you were all for some kid who disobeyed his teacher by refuisng to do the pledge of allegience. Holy Hipocrisy Superman.

I think a baby should have a right to live and people should have a right to protest it as long as they arent't doing it in the middle of school and interrupting class.

posted on Nov, 17 2009 @ 10:54 PM
link   
Wow.....

This person needs to grow a pair (figuratively) and protest anyway. That's why it is a protest. Whoever is egging this lawsuit on is an attention-whore.

Honestly, she should not have asked for permission. She should have known her rights.

This lawsuit smells of deception and the person needs to hang out with more hippies to learn how to protest. Now she just looks like a self-pitying, spineless, nutjob.

posted on Nov, 17 2009 @ 11:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by HotSauce
Are you kidding me? We were just in another thread where you were all for some kid who disobeyed his teacher by refuisng to do the pledge of allegience. Holy Hipocrisy Superman.

I think a baby should have a right to live and people should have a right to protest it as long as they arent't doing it in the middle of school and interrupting class.

Saying the pledge is not a requirement. If you don't believe me, ask the supreme court. Any student can refuse to say the pledge and the school can do nothing about it. However, going to school IS a requirement, as well as abiding by their actual rules, such as rules regarding clothing and profane language.

Secondly, a baby is a baby. A fetus is a fetus. A fetus is not a baby.

posted on Nov, 17 2009 @ 11:49 PM
link   

I think that she should have just went and protested. You do what is right even when it gets you into trouble. It is about sacraficing. I believe that is what protesting is all about. I agree with what Hotsauce says. Haha and I like what you said DINSTAAR.

top topics

join