It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Militias: Patriots or Extremists?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 16 2009 @ 02:54 PM
link   
From the front page of CNN.com
amfix.blogs.cnn.com...

By Jim Acosta

Out in the woods, 30-minutes from the nearest city, the Southeast Michigan Volunteer Militia meets for training once a month.

Armed with a small arsenal of semi-automatic weapons, the question that crosses your mind at one of these exercises is: training for what?

That depends on who you ask.

Our visit with the militia is the first installment of our three part series on something called "the Patriot movement."

The members of the militia in Michigan would certainly call themselves patriots. The folks at the civil rights organization, the Southern Poverty Law Center prefers to use the word "extremists."

Critics of the modern-day militia point out how some of the members of this movement are highly secretive. For example, we contacted nearly a dozen militias for permission to observe their exercises. The militia in Michigan is the only one that said yes.

Watch: Patriots or Extremists? Video

Still, some of its members would not give us their names. Others wore masks.

posted on Nov, 16 2009 @ 02:55 PM
link   
Just another in a long list of propaganda attempts to put doubt in the minds of American citizens over their constitutional right to a well organized militia.

How long until all milita members are deemed 'terrorists'?

posted on Nov, 16 2009 @ 03:02 PM
link   
I think according to some city's Homeland Security programs they already are along with people who likes to take pictures and write in notebooks.

posted on Nov, 16 2009 @ 03:12 PM
link   
Of COURSE they didn't want to give their names, nor show their faces. They fear their government, more than ever before.

It's funny, I was talking with my father (who lives in Montana) about the Freemen one time -- this was many years ago. I asked him how he felt about their alleged bunkers and armaments and stockpiling. He said, "What's different between them 'n myself? They are organized. Why should I fear them? So far's I've heard, they don't plan t'take over anything -- they just want t'be left alone, to make their own way, jus' like th'resta us."

There was a time when a person could buy a muzzle-loaded moutain howwizer from Hern Iron Works that shot a modest 2 1/2" ball, and an articulated carriage from Dixie Works that allowed for precision firing. No more. That's the quickest route to a "pick-up" list.

So, Argentus, who the hell would possibly need such a thing anyway? I'm glad they're taking names!

Who, indeed?

[edit on 16/11/09 by argentus]

posted on Nov, 16 2009 @ 03:15 PM
link   
reply to post by captaintyinknots

I like the way the question is posed..."Patriots or Extremists", as if the two were mutually exclusive. Frankly, being considered 'extremists' by the Southern Poverty Law Center is humorous in itself...they're such a moderate group.

On a more to-the-point note, militia groups are, like any other group of more than about two people, not easily pigeonholed. Most of their membership is patriotic, and all of them are more 'extreme' in the degree of their patriotism than non-militia members...after all, they're motivated enough to join a group and train on a regular basis. Does this make them dangers to society, bigots, or lunatics? Not necessarily (though you'll find a percentage of bigots and crackpots in the ranks). Militia members are *people* with all the good and bad that implies.

posted on Nov, 16 2009 @ 03:21 PM
link   
Militias are the last line of defense for the common man. Heathenizing them makes people afraid of their defense.

I too, love the wording here. Just abut anyone with convictions in anything is an extremist.

posted on Nov, 16 2009 @ 04:23 PM
link   
They are patriots. All they are doing is getting ready incase the government does something extreme. Everyone should join the militia. Maybe their are some out there to harm, I do not know, but I believe militias are going to do good. Someday the Government is going to try to control us, and the militia will be there to fight them!

posted on Nov, 16 2009 @ 04:37 PM
link   
If we give an honest answer will we be put on the list too??

posted on Nov, 16 2009 @ 04:49 PM
link   
I can't trust organizations that preach hatred and racism

posted on Nov, 16 2009 @ 05:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by illuminatislave
I can't trust organizations that preach hatred and racism

Who are you speaking of?

posted on Nov, 16 2009 @ 06:53 PM
link   
reply to post by captaintyinknots

Sounds like he is talking about Israelis?

posted on Nov, 16 2009 @ 11:34 PM
link   
Our 2nd amendment is what lets us keep the other ones. If you look at history once they take away the guns it is only a matter of time before bad things happen. We must never let them take our guns. Just look at what has happened in europe, they take and take and take and before they know it nothing is left for them. I believe this is the reason for alot of the outrage towards the US from them. We will not just bend over and take it like they have. And this has produced envy towards us.

posted on Nov, 17 2009 @ 12:37 AM
link   
Militias what militias Calif does not have any militias.

No one in Calif uses the term militia and trains as a militia unless they like jail food and companionship.

PENAL CODE
SECTION 11460
11460. (a) Any two or more persons who assemble as a paramilitary
organization for the purpose of practicing with weapons shall be
punished by imprisonment in a county jail for not more than one year
or by a fine of not more than one thousand dollars ($1,000), or by
both that fine and imprisonment.
As used in this subdivision, “paramilitary organization” means an
organization which is not an agency of the United States government
or of the State of California, or which is not a private school
meeting the requirements set forth in Section 48222 of the Education
Code, but which engages in instruction or training in guerrilla
warfare or sabotage, or which, as an organization, engages in rioting
or the violent disruption of, or the violent interference with,
school activities.
(b) (1) Any person who teaches or demonstrates to any other person
the use, application, or making of any firearm, explosive, or
destructive device, or technique capable of causing injury or death
to persons, knowing or having reason to know or intending that these
objects or techniques will be unlawfully employed for use in, or in
the furtherance of a civil disorder, or any person who assembles with
one or more other persons for the purpose of training with,
practicing with, or being instructed in the use of any firearm,
explosive, or destructive device, or technique capable of causing
injury or death to persons, with the intent to cause or further a
civil disorder, shall be punished by imprisonment in the county jail
for not more than one year or by a fine of not more than one thousand
dollars ($1,000), or by both that fine and imprisonment.

Now i do know of some shooting groups that go over to Nevada to party.

posted on Nov, 17 2009 @ 01:03 AM
link   
That was some great info about california. No wonder that it will be the first state to fail and fall into martial law. This is what happens when progressives run the show. I love the dumb kids and hippies who think this is such a great idea. They are also the first ones to cry and curl up into the fetal position when the # hits the fan. Thank god the very ones trying to take away our freedoms are the same ones who will never do what it takes to actually succeed in doing it. Well atleast that is what I tell myself to fall asleep.

posted on Nov, 17 2009 @ 07:33 AM
link   
well a few months back, I asked myself the same question. - I couldnt find any extremist unless you mean Constitutionalist and wow, there is a lot of Constitutionalist in America. and who wouldnt be after Reading Such a Magical Document as the u.s. constitution. Now, that is not to say - we didnt run across Nut Jobs, because we ran across a lot of people who never read the document but profess it with delusional grandgere. even though we ran into these people they all had one flaw or another - most were uneducated and served in one capacity or another. of the delusionals, well one troubling fact stood out - these delusionals ex-servicemen all seem to harbor ghost's if you will ... the more devout they were the more confirmed Enemy KIA. but like I said they had a major Flaw, they did not know how to execute and had no idea about timing.
so hence I put them in the uneducated. NOTICE out of 200+ investigations into the patriot's among us - we found not a single "O"FFICER that had a KIA. so KIA and Patriotism are connected I just dont know how - yet.

In addition, I give you a bonus to think about since you read all the way down to here. think of the u.s. constitution as a contract between government and the people it serves. probably several times before 911. but surely on 911. this contract was rescended by one of the parties without notification. U.S. Government is in breech of Contract and can be SUED. after all this document has got to be followed its a contract. clearly, the CEO of this Corporation believes he has supreme power over this document since there is no one to enforce it except for the people its suppose to serve. since this breech has occurred at least once. we have an obligation and a duty to enforce this document or it will be just another piece of paper.

[edit on 17-11-2009 by Anti-Evil]

[edit on 17-11-2009 by Anti-Evil]

posted on Nov, 17 2009 @ 07:48 AM
link   
reply to post by fishing

You are already on the list, Partner.... you signed up for a ATS account. well, do your homework and you will see - this is not a free country. everything you do over electronic communication gets attached to your list of charges... and if you use Vista or Win7... well I think you are just feeding the machine... after all they just care about keeping ahead of the trend... sooner or later they will get you depending on your abilities.

posted on Nov, 18 2009 @ 05:15 AM
link   
Talked about this very thing in a gun forum, and most people leaned towards extremists and eventually the thread was shut down

I lean towards patriots, if they are violating some laws or spewing hate speech then they may be a bit too extreme...

But if Obama made all militias illegal, would breaking that law make them more patriotic or more extremist? I guess that is in the eye of the beholder

posted on Nov, 18 2009 @ 08:18 PM
link   

I think this video should be added to the OP.

posted on Nov, 18 2009 @ 10:27 PM
link   

posted on Jan, 4 2011 @ 11:34 PM
link   
They are patriots excerciseing their God givin rights as americans to keep and bear arms. People call them extremists because they tend to be more out there by excercising their rights and they make some of those who are afraid or wuld just as soon see the right to bear arms be takin from us uneasy. real extremists are those that have launched attacks on this great nation that we live in. these men and women are just being sure they are prepared for any thing that may come their way where the government may not be able or willing to protect them they will be ready to protect themselves and their families as all americans shuld

top topics

<<   2 >>

join